Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2018, 02:18 PM

924 posts, read 1,021,424 times

Advertisements

eh first of all, apologize if this is the incorrect place to post this. Figured car batteries would be the best place for automotive section!

anyhow, I have an ATV and looking to add a 2nd battery. Ive heard car batteries work pretty well if you are looking to just use it as a accessory battery.

So, I plan on just keep it in the rear storage and run my heated gloves / sock / pants off the car battery. Then Ill just recharge it when I get home?

currently, my stator can not charge my ATV battery with everything connected and dont want to run such a load on my tiny ATV battery, in case.

Anyhow, ive heard a car battery can run heated gloves/pants all day. Maybe someone has tested something similar to this before I actually go out and buy a car battery. Once I get back from my trip, I just keep it charged for the next cold ride

opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2018, 02:23 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,079,579 times
A 12V battery is a 12V battery. They come in many shapes, and many amperages, but the voltage is the voltage.

I don't know how long such a battery will keep your gloves going. Probably for quite a while...

IF you are going to add an auxiliary battery, make sure it is secure, in a closed container (not necessarily air tight), and is vented away from the riders. You want to avoid flipping the ATV over and have yourself or a passenger covered in battery acid.

Be safe. Be clever and hook it up to the alternator (might have to upgrade output) and you won't have to fiddle around with constant charging.

Old 12-26-2018, 02:26 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,760,486 times
I would use a large sealed gel-cell battery rather than a lead-acid auto battery. You could even wire it so that a charging port is built right into the container. --and, with some clever tricks, make the charging port the same point you plug in your suit etc. cord.

Old 12-26-2018, 02:33 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Get one with the highest amperage you can get that fits in the space you want to mount it. That higher amp rating will give you the longest amount of use time. 12v is 12 volt as far as battery volts. You can add a small solar panel to charge the battery as you are riding or bike is sitting idle

Old 12-26-2018, 03:13 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,239,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I would use a large sealed gel-cell battery rather than a lead-acid auto battery. You could even wire it so that a charging port is built right into the container. --and, with some clever tricks, make the charging port the same point you plug in your suit etc. cord.

What he said. For an ATV, a sealed battery is the way to go, you don't want battery acid spilling everywhere. Or, you may look into a large lithium battery, since you are going to be running the battery down and recharging at home, you'll need something that can take multiple deep discharges and still hold a charge.

Old 12-26-2018, 03:40 PM

924 posts, read 1,021,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
What he said. For an ATV, a sealed battery is the way to go, you don't want battery acid spilling everywhere. Or, you may look into a large lithium battery, since you are going to be running the battery down and recharging at home, you'll need something that can take multiple deep discharges and still hold a charge.
thank you for this and all of the replies!!!

so which would be better for my use? A Lithium battery or a sealed gel battery? I have never flipped a quad, but you never know, so definitely would like to be safe! I dont plan to run a stator or alternator to it, so I just would like it to power my heated devices for a few hours then charge it back at home.

they dont really sell higher stator output for my ATV sadly

Old 12-26-2018, 04:00 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post

so which would be better for my use? A Lithium battery or a sealed gel battery? I have never flipped a quad, but you never know, so definitely would like to be safe! I dont plan to run a stator or alternator to it, so I just would like it to power my heated devices for a few hours then charge it back at home.

Get a sealed gel cell. I really don’t hsve a issue with a lead acid as there is a drain tube you can install and unless you’re just a absolute jackass you won’t have any spills. Iv3 has okent6 of bikes jet skis and boats and all I ever really used was lead acid batteries.

Old 12-26-2018, 05:42 PM

15,432 posts, read 7,491,963 times
You should look at a deep cycle battery that's designed for a long run time, rather than a battery designed for starting a vehicle.

Old 12-26-2018, 06:06 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,239,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willc86 View Post

It comes down to price... A Lithium battery that you can recharge over and over again with very little degradation is going to be pricey. For your needs, it's probably better to get an SLA battery that is as big as will fit for more Ah. For the price you would pay for a Lithium battery, you could probably buy 4 SLA batteries.

Old 12-26-2018, 07:16 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,182,360 times
a deep cycle sealed battery is the ticket for this application, not a "starting" battery.

check out such batteries used for RV "deep cycle" service. you'll find that they are sealed, so no issue about acid spillage, and they are designed to go through multiple charge/discharge cycles for their normal service life. A "starting" battery is not designed for multiple deep discharge/recharge cycles and will fail rather quickly to accept and hold a charge.

If you'll calculated the watt-hours of use you'll need for your accessories, you can size the battery to your requirements. (add up the amperage draw from all your accessories when on "hi" times voltage to get "watt-hours). Then you'll get "all day" performance on a fully charged deep cycle battery for your accessory items and can then recharge it as you desire once you're back home. I wouldn't be surprised if your requirements could be met with one of the smaller RV deep cycle batteries. (by way of reference, I use a Gp 24 Deep Cycle battery for my Class B RV and it's well capable of running my lighting and RV heating furnace blower/controls all night in sub-zero weather before dropping voltage below 12 volts)

your outlook to keep these accessories powered separately from the ATV electrical system is a good choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive