U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:52 PM

1,960 posts, read 2,173,601 times

Advertisements

I've had many vehicles in my life time supported by 4 jack stands firmly lodged under frame rails. One car sat for several years that way. I would not hesitate to say the car is probably as safe as on wheels as long as the support rails are part of the frame or jacking points. I would not hesitate to support any of my vehicles with my jack stands for an indefinite period of time. Several times per year I support each of my vehicles with jack stands during the normal course of oil changes and tire rotations. Never in 50+ years has it been a problem.

I have had drive up ramps crack in the past, and don't trust those when compared to good heavy duty jack stands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:24 PM

2,035 posts, read 3,151,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
When you remove the wheels, I would place them under the vehicle and nearest the low-point of the underside as possible. Not great but it may prevent disaster.
This was my first thought, but the OP then said that he was doing this so he could carry away all 4 tires to a shop to have them powder coated.

SO: The tires are not available as car-rests, BUT: there is no work going on, or under the car while it's at rest.
If the car is in a secure place, it should be fine.

Old Today, 12:05 AM

6,269 posts, read 3,383,769 times
Just put it on four stands and call it good. It won't be a problem and many people do it on a daily basis. You're not even crawling underneath it. I wouldn't sweat it.

Old Today, 05:19 AM

770 posts, read 2,143,447 times
You don't mention the surface. On 4 good stands. on good level asphalt, on the factory jack points I've done it. My car was solid as a rock.

Old Today, 05:20 AM

3,108 posts, read 827,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Just put it on four stands and call it good. It won't be a problem and many people do it on a daily basis. You're not even crawling underneath it. I wouldn't sweat it.
Correct why do people have to make a big mountain out of a molehill people have been putting vehicles on 4 jack stands forever. Just don’t use cheap ass ones get ones rated to support the weight of your vehicle.

Old Today, 05:55 AM

345 posts, read 346,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjomak View Post
I can't, I am having my wheels powder coated and I have to drop them off. I don't know anyone who has a lift. Here's what I have:

4 - 3 tons jacks (borrowed)
5 - 2 ton jacks
9 Jacks Total.

My car only says to use the 4 jack points. I could use 4 - 3 ton jacks on the 4 main points and then 4 - 2 ton jacks under each rocker arm to the wheel, totaling 8 jacks and 1 more in the rear middle if there is a point. I have a plugin hybrid with independent suspension.

Sounds like with a combination of the jack stands plus a couple of jacks you should be able to figure out something that's good enough. Quit over analyzing $hit and get er done.

Old Today, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
Sounds like with a combination of the jack stands plus a couple of jacks you should be able to figure out something that's good enough. Quit over analyzing $hit and get er done.
correct

Old Today, 08:08 AM

25,133 posts, read 60,422,751 times
Back up the jack stands as best you can. 4 additional jack stands are cheap insurance. If you cannot afford that, leave the jack in place under the differential, or use something else. Do not use modern cinder blacks - they are too weak (older ones are much stronger). I have used logs, but only hardwood with no splits. Logs are a crap-shoot as you never know whether they are strong enough or not. Still, they are only back up and probably will not be needed anyway.

Last edited by Coldjensens; Today at 08:22 AM..

Old Today, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Back up the jack stands as best you can. 4 additional jack stands are cheap insurance. If you cannot afford that, leave the jack in place under the differential, or use something else. Do not use modern cinder blacks - they are too weaker (older ones are much stronger). I have used logs, but only hardwood with no splits. Logs are a crap-shoot as you never know whether they are strong enough or not. Still, they are only back up and probably will not be needed anyway.
Old Railroad ties also work good.

Old Today, 09:17 AM

8,974 posts, read 9,265,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Correct why do people have to make a big mountain out of a molehill people have been putting vehicles on 4 jack stands forever. Just don’t use cheap ass ones get ones rated to support the weight of your vehicle.
My car's been sitting on 4 jackstands in the garage for 3 months now for winter storage with the wheels off. It usually goes 5-6 months on stands for close to 20 years now without an issue. I can put a hip into it and it's rock solid.

Just pulling the wheels off to go get PC'ed and not crawling around under it? Go for it. The only thing i'll add here is that if you are setting he car up on asphalt, you'll want to get 4 pieced of plywood or 1/8" thick steel sheet to put under the legs of the jackstands. A few days on asphalt and the stands can start to sink in with that much weight on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or