U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 02:43 PM

4,236 posts, read 1,416,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
I don't know what kind of spaghetti noodle psuedo jack stands your buddy was using
Ones that would have survived intact had the Mustang fallen off them... and pressed them six inches into the soft surface.

If you'd read more of this thread, you'd see it's been conceded that jack stands are real strong and only the cheapest ones can't hold a passenger car by rating alone.

But that's not the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 03:01 PM

25,158 posts, read 60,460,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
My case was extreme, but a vehicle on four jack stands is a monstrous hazard unless it's locked in a garage. Dogs, kids, wind, minor earthquakes, being bumped by another car - it's a two-ton house of cards with great potential for serious damage to the vehicle and anything near it. And the OP, while not necessarily crawling around under it, apparently intends to leave it that way for several days while the wheels are prettied.
You have never had a car up on stands before have you?

It is not a monstrous hazard. It is a minor hazard. Even a 200 pound dog slamming into it at full speed is not going to tip it off the jack-stands (i know this first hand). Wind short of a tornado is not going to move the car enough to be a threat and a big enough earthquake to do so will leave with with much bigger concerns.

Since it is a risk that is easily and inexpensively avoided, the OP may as well take precautions, but it is not anywhere in the vicinity of a monstrous hazard. Properly set, jackstands are not much more of a risk than having a car supported by only 4 small wheels.

OTOH, if you do not know how to set them properly, or cannot watch a good U-tube video and understand it, then it could potentially be a monstrous hazard.

BTW -Plywood is a bad choice for a base. Jackstands can go right through it. It is not difficult to buy borrow or make an appropriate if you do not have one.

What do you think is under the jack while you are jacking it up? That is far more risky than when the load is evenly distributed between four carefully set jack stands. Even a hyldraulic jack has a lot more possible failure points than jackstands do.

Old 12-27-2018, 03:10 PM

25,158 posts, read 60,460,035 times
Quote:

I've watched a friend hammering and banging around under a Mustang on four jackstands on a macadam surface, intent on saving five bucks with a used part as the car swayed in slow figure eights above him.
Either, your friend foolishly over extended the jack-stands or set them wildly improperly or the story is simply made up for effect. It is also possible you mistook four bumper jacks for jack-stands. Even if the jack-stands were improperly set there is no possibility this would occur. I vote for imaginative story. Also it is a good thing the high voltage line was not carrying any current, you would not be here to tell us these cute stories. Unless of course you were hanging in the air from the line and not touching anything. Then you would be in no more danger than if the line had no power in it, except from the inevitable fall to the ground. please tell us the rest of this story, but try to learn something about high voltage lines first, if ou do not insert some reality into it, no one will believe you.

Old 12-27-2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Either, your friend foolishly over extended the jack-stands or set them wildly improperly or the story is simply made up for effect.
Neither. And I've seen the same thing other times, just not quite so hair-raising.

But by all means, use jackstands any way you like. I suggest you not do so on a soft surface, as you're at least the second person to fail to notice in my post.

Old 12-27-2018, 04:19 PM

16,965 posts, read 18,162,186 times
Quote:
User name and attitude noted.

I've been in a car that was almost completely out of control on an icy highway.

I've been on the receiving end of a very large number of law enforcement muzzles.

I've found myself gripping a worn high-voltage line in pouring rain.

I've watched a friend hammering and banging around under a Mustang on four jackstands on a macadam surface, intent on saving five bucks with a used part as the car swayed in slow figure eights above him.

Guess which one made me need clean underwear, and still makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck.
So we established your friend most likely belongs in a Darwin’s theory poster...that doesn’t mean everyone uses jack stands in a unsafe manner. Give me a break. The guy is taking off some wheels to have them powder coated.

Old 12-27-2018, 04:28 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,177,597 times
Quote:
Ones that would have survived intact had the Mustang fallen off them... and pressed them six inches into the soft surface.

If you'd read more of this thread, you'd see it's been conceded that jack stands are real strong and only the cheapest ones can't hold a passenger car by rating alone.

But that's not the problem.

Sorry, I read enough to understand the car was moving in a figure eight. NEVER happened in 50 years with good stands, and I've pounded the living crap out of just about every part on every car/truck/van I've every owned.

Every time I've had a car on stands, it's been more solid than on wheels.
I've been under a Subaru trying my best to get 160 ft lb. on a rear lower shock bolt and never had the jack stands give or sway a smidgen.

We aren't talking stupidity here, soft surface.... please. We are talking safe use of jack stands.

Old 12-27-2018, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
So we established your friend most likely belongs in a Darwin’s theory poster...that doesn’t mean everyone uses jack stands in a unsafe manner. Give me a break. The guy is taking off some wheels to have them powder coated.
Can only go around this loop so many times - a car on jackstands is a hazard to anyone who comes near it, which may include others not aware of the danger. If the OP wants to be a Darwin candidate (or do more damage to his vehicles than the cost of having his wheels prettied up) it's no skin of my elbow. But I hope the car is out of reach of dogs, kids, unwary neighbors etc.

No one who's had a car fall off of supports can ever be casual about it again; anyone who scoffs that it's no big deal is on the Darwin shortlist.

(As for my completely imaginary pal who never happened and couldn't possibly have done what he did since jackstands are perfect technology... he later followed a Navy stint with two hitches in the Air Force, during which he was part of a crew that had a C-130 fall off of test jacks. He then went into commercial air maintenance and was in the chain of sign-offs for the Alaska Airlines 737 that went down because of a worn jackscrew.)

Old 12-27-2018, 04:38 PM

1,973 posts, read 2,177,597 times
Quote:
Can only go around this loop so many times - a car on jackstands is a hazard to anyone who comes near it, which may include others not aware of the danger. If the OP wants to be a Darwin candidate (or do more damage to his vehicles than the cost of having his wheels prettied up) it's no skin of my elbow. But I hope the car is out of reach of dogs, kids, unwary neighbors etc.

No one who's had a car fall off of supports can ever be casual about it again; anyone who scoffs that it's no big deal is on the Darwin shortlist.

(As for my completely imaginary pal who never happened and couldn't possibly have done what he did since jackstands are perfect technology... he later followed a Navy stint with two hitches in the Air Force, during which he was part of a crew that had a C-130 fall off of test jacks. He then went into commercial air maintenance and was in the chain of sign-offs for the Alaska Airlines 737 that went down because of a worn jackscrew.)
Your credibility is noted, your position is unsupported..... (by jack stands at least).

Have a great day, but be sure to look up once every so often, the sky could be falling.

Old 12-27-2018, 04:43 PM

I always regret throwing in interesting stories for a audience that can't differentiate them from an instruction manual. I'll stop. Yay jackstands. All hail manly-men southern car guys who ain't never had no problem with them. RIP humor on C-D.

Old 12-27-2018, 06:35 PM

16,965 posts, read 18,162,186 times
Quote:

Yeah you’re right we can only go around this loop so many times also. I’ve used jack stands for the exact purpose OP needs to use jackstands. Guess what? The car didn’t fall off. Nobody died.

Oh Btw your “buddy” is a freaking idiot. Sometimes it isn’t the tools and it is the meat sack using the tools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or