U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 09:59 AM

357 posts, read 352,884 times

Advertisements

You guys are all pu$$ies. Contrary to what seems to be popular belief, jack stands were actually made for this purpose.

Yeah, better be safe and stay away from anything even remotely scary though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 10:10 AM

9,018 posts, read 9,360,899 times
I never knew there was such a disdain for working on a car sitting on 4 jackstands. How else do you work on a car you are restoring that has no front suspension, rear axle or anything else to support it other than the stand?

I've had cars on 4 jackstands and have done new clutches, to changing an automatic to a 5-spd, and never have had a car budge a single inch.

Now, I do throw a lot of other stuff under the car with me. Wheels, extra jacks, etc before I go under the car, but I've had project cars sit on jackstands for 1yr+ in my garage on 4-jackstands while I throw an engine, trans rear axle and suspension into it. I've never had any fear working under the car....but like I said, if I go under the car I stuff a few extra things under there as well.

I will add that setup is key. Level surface, hard concrete (or toss a metal plate under the stand on asphalt or it will push through) and making sure the contacts are touching solid pieces of the frame and not anything it can slip on. I bet most of the issues with stands stem from not being properly set up.

I have a car in the garage right now sitting on 4 jackstands.

Old 12-28-2018, 10:19 AM

16,654 posts, read 10,227,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I never knew there was such a disdain for working on a car sitting on 4 jackstands. How else do you work on a car you are restoring that has no front suspension, rear axle or anything else to support it other than the stand?

I've had cars on 4 jackstands and have done new clutches, to changing an automatic to a 5-spd, and never have had a car budge a single inch.

Now, I do throw a lot of other stuff under the car with me. Wheels, extra jacks, etc before I go under the car, but I've had project cars sit on jackstands for 1yr+ in my garage on 4-jackstands while I throw an engine, trans rear axle and suspension into it. I've never had any fear working under the car....but like I said, if I go under the car I stuff a few extra things under there as well.

I will add that setup is key. Level surface, hard concrete (or toss a metal plate under the stand on asphalt or it will push through) and making sure the contacts are touching solid pieces of the frame and not anything it can slip on. I bet most of the issues with stands stem from not being properly set up.

Yep, but we know what we are doing. I just finished up a two year build on my Mustang, and it sat up on 4 jackstands for a year or so. I changed the suspension, did exhaust work, undercoated the underside (while laying under the car for hours), and always felt safe. I only use high quality, heavy duty jackstands, position them properly, put the car on concrete, and then put a couple of floor jacks under the front and rear as extra insurance.

I've taught my sons to do it this way, because I sure as Hell don't want a car coming down on them, or me. However, if the wheels are staying on the car, we own a set of Race Ramps that we put our cars up on, much safer than jackstands.

Old 12-28-2018, 01:17 PM

17,082 posts, read 18,317,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post

So does my neighbor. Restoring a 60s mustang. Itís been on jacks since he moved in. Just got the suspension done.

Set up is key. Regardless if youíre on jackstands or a lift. Iíve seen cars slide off lifts due to improper lifting or positioning. .

Old 12-29-2018, 01:08 AM

3,356 posts, read 1,437,779 times
WTF? Why is this controversial?

Jackstands are designed to hold up a car. That's what they're for. They work pretty well... but like anything else I guess a total incompetent could somehow screw it up.

Old 12-29-2018, 09:34 AM

1,286 posts, read 1,437,290 times
Google "Car fell off jack stands" and you will find many articles about vehicles slipping off jack stands resulting in death, or injury. Some indicate that the jack stand simply failed/broke. One article stated that only professional/commercial jack stands should be used and not the less expensive, non locking type that are commonly available. The article noted that all jack stands used must be constructed to the precise same height, or there could be wobble and instability resulting in failure. The jack stands should be lockable, unlike the common jack stands available.

There are articles about professional mechanics dying under vehicles supported by jack stands. There were a couple articles about a race car driver and a pit car mechanic being killed, or injured under cars supported by jack stands.

Using jack stands as one form of support if on level concrete is okay, but I would also uses 6x6 blocks under the vehicle, or railroad tie blocks would be even better. Better yet, just do 2 wheels at a time and use multiple supports under the vehicle if the wheels will be off for a few days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7_Aa8pbM7Y

Old 12-29-2018, 10:59 AM

1,996 posts, read 2,196,452 times
Google deaths by taking selfies. It returns a higher incidence of results. Are you preaching not to have cameras on cellphones?

Proper care, proper technique, common sense exhibited, jack stand are safe and reliable. (so are cellphones)

Did you watch the video you provided. Who uses a breaker bar to try and force a jack stand to fail? Who uses a tool beating against it repeatedly? Yes, accidents happen, but with proper care, they are minimized enough to warrant the use of jack stands when necessary to accomplish a result.

Again, at the risk of being repetitive..... continue to look up and check the sky.

Old 12-29-2018, 12:59 PM

3,356 posts, read 1,437,779 times
I've worked under 50,000 pound tractors sitting on jack stands. Use reasonable judgment and it's a non-issue.

You folks do realize that just getting out of bed in the morning entails some risk, right?

Old 12-29-2018, 02:07 PM

17,082 posts, read 18,317,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
I've worked under 50,000 pound tractors sitting on jack stands. Use reasonable judgment and it's a non-issue.

You folks do realize that just getting out of bed in the morning entails some risk, right?
Especially when you get up on the wrong side

Old 12-29-2018, 06:47 PM

3,141 posts, read 7,017,298 times
I have done it many times and feel comfortable once the car is on four stands.

Getting it from two stands to four stands though....that is where I felt most exposed. But once it was on four stands....no issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or