U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:33 PM

27 posts, read 44,624 times

Advertisements

My car weighs 5,300lbs and I have 4 jack stands rated 2 tons. I need to remove all 4 tires and leave it in the air for about 3 days. I know not each corner of the car is the same weight, but 4 jack stands @ 2 tons = 16,000lbs.

I should be ok to lift my car, one side at a time and have the (4) 2 ton jacks hold my 5,3000lb car correct?

I have never lifted a car so heavy and never thought it about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:35 PM

3,206 posts, read 2,842,506 times
Not recommended, but it won't fall down on it's own.

Lift it just the bare minimum amount to take off the tires, and before you actually remove the lug nuts, give the car a good shove front/back/sideways to be sure it's stable on the stands, won't shift if somebody bumps into it.

Old Yesterday, 05:26 PM

4,155 posts, read 1,393,870 times
Four stands is a bad idea even under the best circumstances. Weight is not normally the issue, but stability.

Can you use the spare + a borrowed spare to keep one end more stable?

Old Yesterday, 06:07 PM

13,556 posts, read 43,274,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Four stands is a bad idea even under the best circumstances. Weight is not normally the issue, but stability.

Can you use the spare + a borrowed spare to keep one end more stable?

I strongly agree with this sentiment. Get a couple of spare wheels/tires and only leave one end of the car jacked up at a time. Usable wheel/tire assemblies are available at junk yards for relatively cheap prices. Assuming this car is RWD, be careful to chock the front wheels when you have the rear end jacked up, otherwise it will be easy enough to roll it forward or backward off the jack stands. (FWD cars have the engine/transmission to hold the front, and hand brake to hold the rear).

To have all 4 wheels off at one time, what you really want is a lift.

Old Yesterday, 07:10 PM

2,391 posts, read 1,314,142 times
I've had plenty of cars on 4 jackstands and it's perfectly safe if you know what you are doing. But since you're asking this question... I'd probably advise against it, and just work on 2 wheels at a time if possible.

Old Yesterday, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
I've had plenty of cars on 4 jackstands and it's perfectly safe if you know what you are doing. But since you're asking this question... I'd probably advise against it, and just work on 2 wheels at a time if possible.

I would put it "the risks are manageable" - provided you know what you are doing - nothing is perfectly safe in life, including doing nothing.

I'd be wary of getting under the car on 4 jackstands with no wheels on the car. If you want to get 4 tires mounted but install the wheels yourself to avoid some nimrod gorilla torquing the lug nuts with a rattle gun - this might be an OK way to go. Or brake work.

Old Yesterday, 07:16 PM

27 posts, read 44,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
I strongly agree with this sentiment. Get a couple of spare wheels/tires and only leave one end of the car jacked up at a time. Usable wheel/tire assemblies are available at junk yards for relatively cheap prices. Assuming this car is RWD, be careful to chock the front wheels when you have the rear end jacked up, otherwise it will be easy enough to roll it forward or backward off the jack stands. (FWD cars have the engine/transmission to hold the front, and hand brake to hold the rear).

To have all 4 wheels off at one time, what you really want is a lift.
I can't, I am having my wheels powder coated and I have to drop them off. I don't know anyone who has a lift. Here's what I have:

4 - 3 tons jacks (borrowed)
5 - 2 ton jacks
9 Jacks Total.

My car only says to use the 4 jack points. I could use 4 - 3 ton jacks on the 4 main points and then 4 - 2 ton jacks under each rocker arm to the wheel, totaling 8 jacks and 1 more in the rear middle if there is a point. I have a plugin hybrid with independent suspension.

Last edited by cactusjomak; Yesterday at 07:26 PM..

Old Yesterday, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactusjomak View Post
I can't, I am having my wheels powder coated and I have to drop them off. I don't know anyone who has a lift. Here's what I have:

4 - 3 tons jacks (borrowed)
5 - 2 ton jacks
9 Jacks Total.

My car only says to use the 4 jack points. I could use 4 - 3 ton jacks on the 4 main points and then 4 - 2 ton jacks under each rocker arm to the wheel, totaling 8 jacks and 1 more in the rear middle if there is a point. I have a plugin hybrid with independent suspension.

OK, what about finding a couple of wheels and tires from a yard? Actually having at least 4 extra wheels for a car is quite handy if you have room to store them.

So long as the car is in a place where it won't be disturbed, in principle there is nothing wrong with leaving it on 4 jack stands. Like if you have your own garage, live alone, and can lock everybody out of the garage.

Old Yesterday, 08:01 PM

10,948 posts, read 41,680,413 times
you might want to re-check the jack stands ratings. many times, a "pair" of jackstands rated "2 tons" is for the PAIR, not EACH stand.

so what you'd have is not 16,000 lbs capacity with those 4 stands, but 8,000 lbs.

on your 5,300 lb car, those 4 stands will be sufficient for your purposes.

There are very few cars where you can't find 4 solid, safe, jack points to support it for the removal of all 4 wheels. In this case, you're not even working under the car, you're outside it with the 4 wheel removal. Not a problem to do, of course you want the car to be on a solid … preferably level … surface.

Old Yesterday, 09:01 PM

15,651 posts, read 15,583,100 times
Sketchy as heck!

When you remove the wheels, I would place them under the vehicle and nearest the low-point of the underside as possible. Not great but it may prevent disaster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or