U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 06:06 PM
Status: "Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis" (set 18 days ago)

3,607 posts, read 2,954,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
The place that quoted me isn't cheap and I HATE MAACO. Don't trust them.

I'm in turmoil!!! My daughter is going to ban the truck from it's parking spot because "it's a blight on the neighborhood".
I ran through the Toyota Configurator, and damned if you aren't right that a Tacoma TRD Sport is pushing $45K, including tax in WA. I have an '07 Tacoma XRunner, they're worth about $15K w/mileage that I have on mine, being one of the highest kept-value /lowest depreciation vehicles out there. Not selling mine either, I understand the emotional and rational connection that if it ain't broke, why fix it.

Next thought was CPO, as buying new is often not the right move. Bunch of them in greater Seattle for roughly $26-38K. I'd do the math on that vs. new real carefully, but at the same time wouldn't hesitate to buy a used Tacoma w/records.

'Fraid I must agree with others: if a decent, non craptastic paint job is $8K, and a wrap will be up to $7K (they are), unless you're doing a true resto-mod on that truck, I'd consider a trade in for a CPO at low interest rates. For example, I had my interior redone in leather for $2K because the cloth looked skunky at 100K miles and the TRD seat covers make everything way worse, not better. Nor did the interior impress when brand-new, actually. Ditto wheels and much more. Essentially I'm building a resto-mod, custom pickup one subsystem at a time...not sure I'd do that to a '92 4x4 unless it's REALLY worth it. And I'd consider all that cost as sunk, as I am.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2018, 06:12 PM

5,018 posts, read 2,004,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondebaerde View Post
I went through this decision process about a year ago, in Seattle. Nothing is cheap here, especially involving labor. That-said, there are a couple top-guys here who wrap. I've examined their work closely. Get what you pay for.

One of those guys, who I may yet leverage, said: "It the paint is in good condition, wrap. If skunked, re-paint." Wrap works poorly with damaged paint, perhaps? Wraps will be cheaper than a non-ghetto paint job, in all probability, see that "labor" thing again. That quote you have is at-least consistent with prices here. A top-quality wrap on my Tacoma is/was not a helluva lot less, per a quote I kept.

My paint is pretty good, going wrap myself. YMMV. They say 5-7 years and I don't have reliable data if that's true, though my truck is usually indoors.
In some places the paint is actually worn through to the primer, the original paint job is heavily oxidized. There's a few dings, small lesions that I cleaned of rust a few years ago and primed heavily to protect the bare metal.

Considering a good paint job can last a long time and I want to keep this rig forever then i think painting is the way to go. The shop i talked to was in Bremerton Wa. I saw some of their work in the shop and outside, it was impressive. They do not do anything half assed. There was a Chevy nova in pieces waiting for paint then into a huge oven.

They were not hurting for work.

I'm going to paint it. Everything else is good so why not? Better than 50k on a new one.

Old 12-27-2018, 06:36 PM

2,928 posts, read 1,354,144 times
Quote:
I'm going to paint it. Everything else is good so why not? Better than 50k on a new one.
If you're keeping it, paint it.
So what if it costs more than it's worth? If that mattered almost no classic car would ever get restored.

Old 12-27-2018, 06:40 PM

17,063 posts, read 18,290,727 times
Quote:
My 1992 Toyota 4X4 E-cab used to be red. It's not any more so since the body is in excellent shape and its mechanically sound I want to keep it. Preferably to be buried in.

Anyway. Has anyone gotten a vehicle wrapped? A vinyl skin? I was quoted $8000 to paint the truck.

Is wrapping a good alternative?
Jesus 8,000 bucks?

I went to a Maaco to get a camper shell painted. Factory color two stage paint $400. Most body shops wanted 1200. Saw a bunch of cars they had painted and they looked pretty good. You can get a two stage paint job for about $1600 bucks. That sounds like a fair price to me. $8,000 bucks is way too much. Even if it was a car I would keep forever.
If you remove al the trim, headlights turn signals window whiskers etc you’ll get a way better paint job.

Wrapping is expensive and fades within a few years. If you want cheap do that spray on rubberized coat.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:11 PM

2,928 posts, read 1,354,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Jesus 8,000 bucks?
I would hope the OP has more than one quote.
It's hard to believe that this is the competant body shop in town.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:29 PM

3,235 posts, read 867,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
If you're keeping it, paint it.
So what if it costs more than it's worth? If that mattered almost no classic car would ever get restored.
But when you restore a classic vehicle you do the whole vehicle not just the body so itís worth more than the paint job especially if it a true muscle car a lot more money than a Toyota pickup never seen a classic Toyota pickup truck when all said and done itís still a 1992 Toyota truck not a 1974 Roadrunner.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:46 PM

13,638 posts, read 15,377,863 times
I'd go with rattle can myself.

Wrapping is out if the paint is in bad shape. Vinyl sticks to paint with an intact clear coat. It doesn't stick to rust, peeling clear coat. Anything like a large scratch that goes through the paint is going to show right through the wrap. Even if it lays flat over the scratch you'll know it's there. Later you'll get bubbling around scratches, rock chips, and so on. Bad paint? Rattle first, wrap second. By that point for the time and money just having someone paint it professionally is the more attractive option.

The vinyl will run $200-500 or so depending on quality, just like with painting cost is mostly labor. Having it professionally done will run around $2,000 or so for a good wrap which is right about what a decent paint job will cost. $8k is flat out ridiculous for a paint job. Extensive rust damage maybe, but that's not a paint job.

Old 12-27-2018, 10:46 PM

1,861 posts, read 747,754 times
Get yourself a half dozen quotes to have it repainted. $8,000 is insane, I donít care where you live. Any competent body shop should beat that by several thousand dollars.

Old 12-27-2018, 11:41 PM

5,004 posts, read 7,105,511 times
When the Tbird was painted seven years ago, it cost $5000., so $8000, is not out of the question to have your Toyota painted.
The old saying, you get what you pay for most definitely holds true when it comes to painting a vehicle.
You obviously want to keep the truck, so I would say, it would be money well spent.

Bob.
Attached Thumbnails
Paint Or Wrap?-dsc01821.jpg  

Old 12-28-2018, 12:00 AM

7,714 posts, read 2,445,674 times
Quote:
The place that quoted me isn't cheap and I HATE MAACO. Don't trust them. The guy said they'd take off the bed and possibly the cab just to make sure all is good plus some coatings? I intend to keep this truck, a new one is 45k and I don't even like them. Washingtons tax on a new vehicle is 10% on top of that.

I'm in turmoil!!! My daughter is going to ban the truck from it's parking spot because "it's a blight on the neighborhood".

But it probably won't get stolen. The last time I had someone else paint a vehicle for me, it cost $19.95 at Earl Scheib.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive