U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 08:45 AM

1,091 posts, read 325,529 times

Advertisements

I recently asked the same question on another car site. The consensus seemed to be that, wrap or paint, you’re going to pay for a good job. The wrap is labor intensive but it requires an already good finish underneath it. So if your paint is bad, I think going for a quality paint job makes more sense; because it’s bad, you’re still going to have that prep work ahead of a wrap anyway and then pay for the expensive labor on a quality wrap on top of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2019, 08:53 AM

4,438 posts, read 3,237,290 times
$8000 paint job on a $2000 truck? Why is this even being asked. Car will only still be worth $2000 and what happens if it gets wrecked two months down the road? Will be out that $8000.

Get a Maaco or Maaco type paint job for $300-500 and move on. I’m guessing it’s a daily driver/utility truck and not a garage queen.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:20 AM

17,063 posts, read 18,290,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Did some more checking around. One guy found a few problems with the factory undercoat on both the cabs rear and the front of the bed. He said that if I want to keep the truck these places should be repaired, it's only going to get worse. From what he can see it's nothing big and bad. That's why they want to take the cab and bed off.

That's why its so expensive.

I look at it liike this guys. Why buy a new one? I could learn to work on new vehicles above and beyond maintenance but ffs I already know everything about this truck. I've rebuilt the undercarriage and even a new fuel pump in the tank, all the accessories are recent. The truck is SOUND. It's RELIABLE. It just needs a paint job. To top it off even my daughters say they would be sad to see it go. We've got a lot of good memories in it.

Buy a used anything is asking for trouble. No way.
What problem with the factory undercoat? Unless you got rust through the cab corners there isn’t much to do. If it’s surface rust go buy a cheap hopper gun sand blaster blast the rust and primer and undercoat.

Most body shops pull the bed when painting. Like I said if you pull all the body trim, grille, lights, bumpers you’ll get a better paint job

I like my rucks and there is no way I would throw 8000 dollar paint and body work. I would do the bodywork myself.

You’re absoutely wrong about buying used is asking for trouble. There are plenty of used trucks that are reliable and sound vehicles. You just need to shop around.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:25 AM

1,091 posts, read 325,529 times
POR 15 great for rust.....must follow all their steps.

https://www.por15.com

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OMxCWN...ature=youtu.be

Old 01-05-2019, 10:52 AM

9,919 posts, read 7,681,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Did some more checking around. One guy found a few problems with the factory undercoat on both the cabs rear and the front of the bed. He said that if I want to keep the truck these places should be repaired, it's only going to get worse. From what he can see it's nothing big and bad. That's why they want to take the cab and bed off.

That's why its so expensive.

I look at it liike this guys. Why buy a new one? I could learn to work on new vehicles above and beyond maintenance but ffs I already know everything about this truck. I've rebuilt the undercarriage and even a new fuel pump in the tank, all the accessories are recent. The truck is SOUND. It's RELIABLE. It just needs a paint job. To top it off even my daughters say they would be sad to see it go. We've got a lot of good memories in it.

Buy a used anything is asking for trouble. No way.
Enjoy spending the money. I guess we can assume you are financially well to do since you can throw $8k out the window.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:43 AM

4,438 posts, read 3,237,290 times
Depending how bad the paint job is probably just needs to be brought back to life with a professional detail. That way it keeps its old character but still looks “vintage”. A fresh paint job will still look off if every other external part is worn (glass, bumpers, plastic, rubber, headlights)

See what professional detainers can do:
https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/

Old 01-05-2019, 12:37 PM

6,367 posts, read 6,759,538 times
What's the truck worth if, God forbid there's an accident....I don't think there any doubt it would be totaled.
Do you even have collision coverage on it?

Not that a person can live his/her entire life just asking "what if" -- but -- how would you feel if on your way home from the paint job, or a week later or a month later.....the truck is damaged beyond repair?

But, then again, it doesn't sound like the OP thinks ANY KIND of cost benefit analysis is in order.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:34 AM

158 posts, read 24,100 times
Guys, it's a Toyota 4x4 truck, even if KBB says it's only worth $2k, you can bet, as a PNW truck that will have pretty much NO rust on it, that he could get $5k or more in the condition it's already in. The "toyota tax" on trucks is REAL. It's worth it to put a real paint job on it and keep it. I've done many complete paint jobs for customers on mini trucks that were more valuable than the truck they were on:

Proper paint will last longer than a wrap and look better, too. Maaco is crap and the paint won't last (they use Alkyd enamel by the bucketload and it's just not high quality paint. Even if you get their "urethane" it's just a urethane additive in the same old Alkyd enamel). As a paint and bodyman, I hated going back over a paint job that had been done at Earl Schieb or Maaco. It usually had to be completely stripped off before you could work with the car/truck.

$8k is about right for a complete respray, due to the labor involved and the cost of REAL materials. You MIGHT find a good job done for $5k, but the fact is, most bodyshops won't take on complete resprays as they make more money on accident repairs that take up much less room in the shop and can be in and out in a matter of days. Usually doing a complete is not worth it to them so they will bid pretty high. A complete respray usually take about 2 weeks of actual labor and no one wants a car/truck tying up the shop for a couple weeks.

Old Today, 03:13 PM

5,018 posts, read 2,004,336 times
cvetters. Thanx for that post.

I'm going to another shop and cutting the price by half. Reality says that even if I keep the truck to be my funeral pyre it's going to have issues in the future. Acquiring parts is going to become an issue and what If somebody T-bones it while it's parked at BK? What if some a hole just decides to key it?

8k, all the "what ifs" and some good points from y'all told me I need to go another way.

Thanx.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive