U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2018, 01:27 PM

4,489 posts, read 1,499,354 times

Advertisements

There's been a bit of muddle here between general cold-weather gloves and driving gloves.

Wearing outdoor/winter gloves while driving does indeed reduce steering wheel feel and most dressier models probably reduce grip. Other than for a few minutes of ice-cold conditions, most of us can get by with cabin heat (and youse guys with the heated wheels, just shaddap. Shaddap, I tell ya.)

Driving gloves are typically extremely thin, close-fitting kid or calf. They're for wind protection, sweat absorption and grip on smooth wheels, not for cold weather protection. And yes, they are a bit pretentious unless you happen to be driving a classic open car with a thin, smooth steering wheel at speeds above "sedate."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 11:11 AM

6 posts, read 345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Driving gloves are typically extremely thin, close-fitting kid or calf. They're for wind protection, sweat absorption and grip on smooth wheels, not for cold weather protection. And yes, they are a bit pretentious unless you happen to be driving a classic open car with a thin, smooth steering wheel at speeds above "sedate."

And they're just retro-fun for a lot of enthusiasts of old sports cars, in the same league to me as fuzzy dice in a '57 Chevy.

I also recently learned that the very same stringback gloves that some British car specialty merchants offer at big prices are available dirt-cheep from equestrian supply merchants.

Old 01-03-2019, 05:19 AM

4,123 posts, read 3,676,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Early on, steering wheels were hard and often slippery (especially the wooden ones) plus they shook a lot. Nowadays with soft, grippy, vibration free, and even heated steering wheels the gloves are no longer needed.
They're also good with alcantera racing wheels as both clothes gril each other well, and your skin oils will ruin the wheel.

Old 01-03-2019, 12:35 PM

6,351 posts, read 3,514,072 times
Don't forget about driving shoes too. I've known some more hard core enthusiasts who keep some in the car that worked perfectly for heel-toe shifts.
https://www.gq.com/story/the-rules-o...ummer-footwear

Old Today, 11:01 AM

842 posts, read 657,332 times
I never understood why it was a thing (same with crap mag wheels), but then I drove my ex gfs (about 15 years ago) Ford Tempo in Februrary and it had a metal steering wheel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive