U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:39 AM

14,107 posts, read 8,972,900 times

Advertisements

I remember it being big in the 70s but even then it didn't make much sense. Now I come across this piece. Seems like the only place you see them are on men driving an MG with the top down.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/9-me...175500064.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:44 AM

8,138 posts, read 6,954,921 times
Early on, steering wheels were hard and often slippery (especially the wooden ones) plus they shook a lot. Nowadays with soft, grippy, vibration free, and even heated steering wheels the gloves are no longer needed.

Old Yesterday, 10:58 AM

4,230 posts, read 1,416,425 times
That's it. When you're driving an open car with a thin wooden wheel, something to keep your fingers warm and absorb sweat and keep a solid grip is a necessity.

An Escalade with a heated leather wheel, not so much.

Old Yesterday, 12:05 PM

6,296 posts, read 3,397,164 times
They're for the guy who posted here a week or so ago stating that he never uses his steering wheel heat because he wears gloves.

Old Yesterday, 12:41 PM

1,972 posts, read 2,177,597 times
When i owned and drove several different Austin Healeys as daily drivers back in the 60's, 70's and 80's, I used driving gloves. Not because they helped me during the drive, but because I thought that's what the enthusiast wore. Along with a little flat topped snapped down front driving hat.
Once I began racing Healey's locally I realized I actually had better control without the gloves (mildly sweaty palms during a race actually helped grip the wooden or plastic steering wheels) and the hat gave way to a helmet.
Of course, I was never very successful, so in retrospect maybe I should have used the gloves. LOL

Old Yesterday, 01:32 PM

4,230 posts, read 1,416,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
When i owned and drove several different Austin Healeys as daily drivers back in the 60's, 70's and 80's, I used driving gloves. Not because they helped me during the drive, but because I thought that's what the enthusiast wore. Along with a little flat topped snapped down front driving hat.
Once I began racing Healey's locally I realized I actually had better control without the gloves (mildly sweaty palms during a race actually helped grip the wooden or plastic steering wheels)
I guess you can get away with that when it's what, 50HP in a Sprite? 150 in a 3000? Quadruple that in a lower curb weight and the gloves were not for show.

Old Yesterday, 01:36 PM

14,107 posts, read 8,972,900 times
Of course, they make you drive better. How did I miss that?

Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM

1,972 posts, read 2,177,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I guess you can get away with that when it's what, 50HP in a Sprite? 150 in a 3000? Quadruple that in a lower curb weight and the gloves were not for show.
For shame, my racing Sprite probably had 75 HP! A real beast, eh? Of course, I also drove my Z06 without gloves, but then again it was a more driver friendly steering wheel by then.
I will share my 67 GTO (post model) with beautiful turquoise plastic steering wheel didn't need driving gloves, of course it was only driven on the street and maybe once or twice on the drag strip (wasn't known for it's cornering ability).

Now back in the 60's/70's era of AC Cobras, Allards, Sunbeam tigers, etc. the driving gloves may have been mandatory.

Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM

1,990 posts, read 722,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
For shame, my racing Sprite probably had 75 HP! A real beast, eh? Of course, I also drove my Z06 without gloves, but then again it was a more driver friendly steering wheel by then.
I will share my 67 GTO (post model) with beautiful turquoise plastic steering wheel didn't need driving gloves, of course it was only driven on the street and maybe once or twice on the drag strip (wasn't known for it's cornering ability).

Now back in the 60's/70's era of AC Cobras, Allards, Sunbeam tigers, etc. the driving gloves may have been mandatory.

Yea, the trick is to drive as close to 10/10ths as much as you can....better to drive 75 hp at 10/10ths than 450 hp @ 5/10ths. The sign over Carrol Shelby's garage door read " Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?" ...The roller skates with big V8s in the 60s were pretty scary, weren't they?

Old Yesterday, 02:29 PM

4,924 posts, read 1,884,456 times
This reminded me of stories my uncle told me about driving some sort of rustbucket Austin back and forth from college. In addition to gloves he wrapped towels around his left leg, left foot, left arm, neck, and wore a balaclava to keep from freezing to death. He'd hardly stop anywhere to avoid having to re-wrap/adjust everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive