U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2019, 10:40 AM

55,415 posts, read 39,140,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
The fuel line would have to be fire hose or bigger and have a 50-60 gallon fuel tank. They burn between 12-23 gallons per burnout, idle, run. I used to go watch the NHRA qualifying at a track in Brainerd in northern MN. Since the track is a part of road course, you could walk with the cars from the pits to drag strip and actually watch it from being on the track (not bleachers) behind the cars. Great view to see the top fuel tires become skinny and race away from you, great special angle.

What amazes me about the current crop of fuel cars is that standing at around 700' down track, they leave so hard you actually see them move before the sound makes it to your position. That and how accurate the tune-ups have become. It amazes me to hear a crew-chief say something like 'we're looking for a 79 or 80' (that's 1/1000s of a second) and damn if the car doesn't go a 79 or 80. And that from an electro-mechanical system of timers and weights to fine tune clutch engagement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2019, 12:06 PM

797 posts, read 197,056 times
The Hot Wheels Funny cars always had the body broken off in about 10 minutes, then you just had the little chassis. You couldn't tell which was the Snake or the Mongoose.

Old 01-01-2019, 12:16 PM

21,951 posts, read 18,519,621 times
I loved my El Camino! I had a Ranchero too. Such a convenient style! I wish they would come back.

Hmmm, there is supposed to be a quote of Dopo's pic here. Oh well, that is what I was responding to.

Old 01-01-2019, 01:27 PM

31,245 posts, read 24,861,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
It is pretty amazing how fast those things can go. They have over 10,000 horsepower and go over 300 mph in less than 4 seconds.

I just looked up some stuff about them and found out that it takes about 1000 horsepower just to turn their super charger, they suck down about 11 gallons of fuel per second, and most of their spark plugs don't even make it to the end of a race. They completely melt themselves into a glob due to the intense heat and pressure, and then the engine continues to run like a diesel thru to the finish line.

Here's a pic of a "consumed" spark plug that I found...

Quote:
The fuel line would have to be fire hose or bigger and have a 50-60 gallon fuel tank. They burn between 12-23 gallons per burnout, idle, run. I used to go watch the NHRA qualifying at a track in Brainerd in northern MN. Since the track is a part of road course, you could walk with the cars from the pits to drag strip and actually watch it from being on the track (not bleachers) behind the cars. Great view to see the top fuel tires become skinny and race away from you, great special angle.

that 11.2 gallons per second, about the same rate as a fully loaded 747 but with 4 times the energy volume, is at full throttle, and since these cars are at full throttle for just a few seconds at a time, they dont need to carry as much fuel as you think. closer to about 30 gallons. they only need enough fuel to run for a minute or so. time wise.

One Top Fuel dragster 500 cubic-inch Hemi engine makes more horsepower than the first 4 rows at the Daytona 500.

With 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into a near-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock at full throttle.

At the stoichiometric 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture for nitro methane the flame front temperature measures 7050 degrees F. * Nitro methane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.
* Dual magnetos supply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.
* Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After 1/2 way, the engine is dieseling from compression plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting the fuel flow.
* If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in the affected cylinders and then explodes with sufficient force to blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or split the block in half.
* Dragsters reach over 300 MPH before you have completed reading this sentence.
* In order to exceed 300 MPH in 4.5 seconds, dragsters must accelerate an average of over 4 G’s. In order to reach 200 MPH well before half-track, the launch acceleration approaches 8 G’s.
* Top Fuel engines turn approximately 540 revolutions from light to light!
* Including the burnout, the engine must only survive 900 revolutions under load.
* The redline is actually quite high at 9500 RPM.

* THE BOTTOM LINE: Assuming all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, & for once, NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs an estimated $1,000 per second.

The current Top Fuel dragster elapsed time record is 4.441 seconds for the quarter-mile (10/05/03, Tony Schumacher). The top speed record is 333.00 MPH (533 km/h) as measured over the last 66′ of the run (09/28/03, Doug Kalitta).

Putting this all into perspective:
Lets say the you are driving the average $140,000 Lingenfelter twin-turbo powered Corvette Z06.
Over a mile up the road, a Top Fuel dragster is staged & ready to launch down a quarter-mile strip as you pass by it. You have the advantage of a flying start. You run the ‘Vette hard up through the gears and blast across the starting line & pass the dragster at an honest 200 MPH. Just as you pass the Top Fuel Dragster the ‘tree’ goes green for both of you.

The dragster launches & starts after you. You keep your foot down hard, but you hear an incredibly brutal whine that sears your eardrums & within 3 seconds the dragster catches & passes you. He beats you to the finish line, a quarter-mile away from where you just passed him. Think about it – from a standing start, the dragster had spotted you 200 MPH & not only caught, but nearly blasted you off the road when he passed you within a mere 1320 foot long race!
That’s acceleration!

one more little fun fact, when these cars were making "only" 8000hp, they had trouble with a phenomenon called tire shake. what they found was the tires would actually deform at speed. once over the 9000hp mark, the tire shake went away as they had enough power to keep the tires round.

as for the tire growth, that is actually built into drag tires. the sidewalls are designed to wrinkle to get maximum traction, and then grow to provide an overdrive of sorts.

Old 01-01-2019, 03:50 PM

7,034 posts, read 4,581,209 times
As with most motorsports, the early examples were warmed-over street cars. As competition intensified and technology marched on, cars became ever more specialized and removed from what's available at the dealership - or even what could be built from the Summit Racing catalog.

The original funny cars had altered firewall location, engine position and relation of body to frame. These mods, however clever, could have been done by a well-equipped lone amateur. That changed.

In this modern age of appliance-automobiles, where comfort and utility override driving-pleasure, it is worthwhile to appreciate and cherish all racing cars and all sporting cars, whether vintage or modern, amateur or pro. As consumer tastes and engagement with motorsports evolve, we may find that racing becomes rarer and more specialized. Today's latest high-tech race cars may eventually become obsolesced, not by higher technology, but because they won't have any replacement at all.

Old 01-01-2019, 05:40 PM

2,871 posts, read 2,681,874 times
https://newatlas.com/top-ev-electric...op-fuel/50741/

This is interesting...

Old 01-02-2019, 11:00 AM

9,475 posts, read 5,866,611 times
Quote:
A cool video of a single cylinder.
https://youtu.be/xGTbQuhhluY

Old 01-02-2019, 11:34 AM

55,415 posts, read 39,140,962 times
Quote:

It's interesting and I have little doubt they'll reach their goals if they persevere.

But will they provide the same spectacle as a ground pounding nitro-burning 10,000HP internal combustion engine powered car roaring down the track?

Not in my eyes, ears, or nose!

I love the smell of nitro in the morning, it smells like SPEED!

Old 01-03-2019, 05:31 AM

4,123 posts, read 3,674,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i remember when funny cars looked like this

That's a Gasser or Altered... made way for the funny car, though, people thought they looked funny.

Old 01-03-2019, 09:10 AM

8,975 posts, read 15,930,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Not like they use to back in the day, i remember every weekend watching drag races not only funny cars burn regular people racing their muscle cars , hell my brother raced for pinks back in the 70ís.
I don't know that there are proportionately fewer funny cars than there used to be, there just aren't as many drags strips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or