U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:07 AM

9,549 posts, read 20,518,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
Anyone has any experience with Q7 or XC90?
I cringe at spending that much money for a car but hey, YOLO, right?
What are you looking to spend and how old or new do you want? Also as someone mentioned, they're 6ft, how tall are you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:22 AM

25,237 posts, read 60,535,530 times
Best SUV for car camping-van-bed.jpg

Here you go.

Old Yesterday, 09:59 AM

5,733 posts, read 6,590,601 times
Anything with a sturdy roof rack and weight limit, to sport a rooftop tent.

Anything with a hitch that can tow a camper trailer.

Old Yesterday, 10:51 AM

9,178 posts, read 5,020,668 times
I see no one has mentioned the Forester. A, B, and C.

A: In my current 2002, I do just well laying down the driver's seat and sleeping in that couch. It is quite comfortable. While I often have the thought of what it would be like to do the split back seats and sacking out there, have yet to do it. The thing about my Forester is that it can go a long way, through many missions, before it needs to be demissioned, unloaded, and started again.

B: But what about the current models? Are they like that? Can they do that? I don't know......and it may be time for me to start the 2 year research into a new one.

C: Advertising certainly does sell or at least get one's attention and I have been thinking of maybe the Crosstek since I have the F-250 for any heavy lifting and the future concerns about gas. On the other hand, for all the Forester has taken me through, do I want to give up that capability? I suppose in relation to this thread, though, it would be a point of going down to the dealership and being laid out in one or the other.

Old Yesterday, 11:23 AM

4,229 posts, read 4,029,046 times
I've "car camped" in my '15 RAV4 many times. At 6'3", it is a tight fit, but possible with the passenger seat moved forward a few clicks.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho and her sub-forums, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old Yesterday, 11:25 AM

784 posts, read 728,226 times
I’m a creature of comfort so I want to be able to fully stretch iut without messing with a tent.

Old Yesterday, 11:30 AM

3,407 posts, read 5,435,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
For trailheads the Prius works great. Store junk in plastic storage bins. When you get to trailhead, move front seats forward, stuff the packs up front, take storage boxes out, drop rear seat, put storage boxes in the footwell of the rear seat, throw down your pads and bags and pillows and enjoy a nice slightly over six foot flat sleeping surface in your climate controlled hotel.

Point is it doesn't need to be large if you're just talking about two people. Something with a bit more headroom would be nice, but with trailheads the level of luxury you get with a Prius is far more than you'll enjoy once you leave the car behind. I mean, if money wasn't an object I'd go for a Sprinter/Transit/Promaster conversion. Hippie vans are also great but the damn YouTuber/#Vanlife thing makes them pretty expensive for what you get. Used cargo vans are much cheaper.
Isn't there also a way to run the HVAC while sleeping in the Prius as well...believe it runs off the electric motor?

Anyone who knows more, please chime in...

Old Yesterday, 12:45 PM

4,599 posts, read 2,577,405 times
The Casita trailer we had was only 17' long, but had a real bed, galley, dinette and a bathroom, with a shower.
Towed it with a Nissan Xterra which was 2WD.

Old Yesterday, 12:54 PM

2,853 posts, read 2,674,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
Iím a creature of comfort so I want to be able to fully stretch iut without messing with a tent.
If I fit fine in a Cayenne (I never thought about moving front seats forward as I have almost all the way back) any midsize or larger suv would work that has folding down seats. In future we're planning to go 60 miles back on forest service roads not maintained anymore in BC to see 1,700 ft waterfalls, 4wd and high clearance will be needed. This is car camping to me, no trailers. I'd rather be sleeping in a vehicle when grizzly bears wander in.

Old Yesterday, 12:58 PM

784 posts, read 728,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
If I fit fine in a Cayenne (I never thought about moving front seats forward as I have almost all the way back) any midsize or larger suv would work that has folding down seats. In future we're planning to go 60 miles back on forest service roads not maintained anymore in BC to see 1,700 ft waterfalls, 4wd and high clearance will be needed. This is car camping to me, no trailers. I'd rather be sleeping in a vehicle when grizzly bears wander in.
Good to know. I'm trying to do the same thing, just camp in the trunk basically.

I have a Murano right now, and unfortunately, there's not enough room even for my petite stature to sleep comfortably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive