U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 01:01 PM

2,853 posts, read 2,676,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
Good to know. I'm trying to do the same thing, just camp in the trunk basically.

I have a Murano right now, and unfortunately, there's not enough room even for my petite stature to sleep comfortably.
Best bet is to go to an auto show and climb in and test them out. All makes and models will be there as now is auto show season. I even thought of buying a large mosquito net and surrounding a door or two and closing it to seal net and then have windows down so air gets in but not bugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 01:07 PM

786 posts, read 729,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Best bet is to go to an auto show and climb in and test them out. All makes and models will be there as now is auto show season. I even thought of buying a large mosquito net and surrounding a door or two and closing it to seal net and then have windows down so air gets in but not bugs.
Great idea!

Old 01-04-2019, 01:58 PM
Status: "Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis" (set 12 days ago)

3,578 posts, read 2,941,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
I always enjoyed using a small trailer as a camper....
This, towed by a Tacoma V6 w/supercharger or whatever. Those and 4Runners will tow a bit more than one might expect. Tiny trailers are interesting for weekends away, IMO, and I may get one couple years from now m'self. Airstream Sport seems nice (16') and about 3500 GVWR, too.

For those who love to camp...at the Westin, Four Seasons, and Indigo, preferably...probably a great glamping option. Being out in filth and bugs in some yurt isn't too attractive to me at-least.

Old 01-04-2019, 04:51 PM

10,849 posts, read 22,608,205 times
Why not go for B-class RV or a PU truck with slide in bed camper with full amenities?
You Can use RV parks with full hookup's esp. when the weather is rough some even come with 4-season insulation for winters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_PFDUqv408

Old 01-04-2019, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Why not go for B-class RV or a PU truck with slide in bed camper with full amenities?
You Can use RV parks with full hookup's esp. when the weather is rough some even come with 4-season insulation for winters
Looks great but I don't have a place to park the thing plus I don't do it often enough to justify the expense.

Right now I'm down to Armada (gas guzzler! ), Audi Q7 or Volvo XC90 (pricey but nice). I think I should be able to stick an air mattress in those...

Old 01-04-2019, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Looks great but I don't have a place to park the thing plus I don't do it often enough to justify the expense.

Right now I'm down to Armada (gas guzzler! ), Audi Q7 or Volvo XC90 (pricey but nice). I think I should be able to stick an air mattress in those...
Are you going to do any off-roading to get to camping spots?

Old 01-04-2019, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Are you going to do any off-roading to get to camping spots?
I'd like to have that option for sure

Old 01-04-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
I'd like to have that option for sure
Check for if they have any off roading modes that are selectable. An air suspension is another useful off road thing. Finally check tire sizes and see if getting a mud/snow tire can be had in same size rims. I have large rims meant to go fast rather off road, Zero companies make an off road tire for 21 inch rim. I searched everywhere and talked to Tire Rack, and every tire shop in town. I had to buy oem 19 inch rims to barely be able to fit an m/s tire. Tires make or break for treading into woods. I hate my m/s tires on paved roads, but once I hit the gravel I love them. Flying down gravel roads with traction is the blast!

Old 01-04-2019, 07:44 PM

1,892 posts, read 943,624 times
Honda Element. Far from large and far from luxury, but made for car camping.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:45 PM

1,147 posts, read 492,912 times
Evidently Subaru Outbacks are often used as little campers; there is even a company that makes
beds to fit them... I don't recall the company's name offhand, but an internet search should find it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive