U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 10:27 PM

10,851 posts, read 22,611,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
Looks great but I don't have a place to park the thing plus I don't do it often enough to justify the expense.

Right now I'm down to Armada (gas guzzler! ), Audi Q7 or Volvo XC90 (pricey but nice). I think I should be able to stick an air mattress in those...
OP are you planning on "Stealth Camping" or is this just a weekend fun type vehicle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 10:36 PM

790 posts, read 730,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
OP are you planning on "Stealth Camping" or is this just a weekend fun type vehicle?
Haha, just weekend a few times a year type stuff.

Old 01-05-2019, 05:06 AM

12,087 posts, read 6,287,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Evidently Subaru Outbacks are often used as little campers; there is even a company that makes
beds to fit them... I don't recall the company's name offhand, but an internet search should find it.

The cargo bed with the rear seat folded is 76". 42 3/4" wide at the wheel wells.

[SIZE=-1]A- floor length rear corner to opposite front corner of cargo area 59 1/2"
B- floor length rear corner to opposite front of rear door 89 1/2"
C- floor length with to top of seat folded flat 65" (doesn't include headrest)
D- floor length to back of front console 76"
E- floor length to front console ac/heater controls 107"
F- floor length to back of seats 41"
G- gate lower corner to opposite upper corner 50.5"
H- floor length passenger side rear corner 14"
I- floor length drivers side rear corner 15"

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE]

Old 01-05-2019, 11:48 AM

592 posts, read 138,719 times
Don't understand the desire to sleep in the back of an automobile. Why not just get a tent?

Old 01-05-2019, 11:51 AM

790 posts, read 730,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Don't understand the desire to sleep in the back of an automobile. Why not just get a tent?
Safety and air conditioning.

Old 01-05-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
Safety and air conditioning.
How does sleeping in the back of a vehicle give you either of these?

Old 01-05-2019, 01:11 PM

4,407 posts, read 1,646,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
I can think of endless reasons.

1. Convenience. You can pull into a campsite after dark. Climb into the back and you are ready to go to sleep. No setting up a tent in the dark.

2. Safety. Sleeping in your car, you are not likely to wake up and find a bear licking your face or insects crawling on you. It's possible, but much less likely.

3. Protection from weather. Your tent could get damaged by wind, or flooded in a downpour. It would take a pretty major event to get water inside your car. Also if the weather is cool, it could be much warmer inside your car with the windows rolled up, then in a tent.

4. Boondocking. You can camp anywhere. If you can't make it to a campsite, you could pull into a Walmart parking lot and sleep. Pretty hard to do that in a tent.

5. Peace and quiet. If you have other campers nearby, noise could be a problem. Your vehicle is a lot more soundproof than a tent.

If you are into roughing it, I can see where tent camping would be for you. Hell better yet, forget the tent and sleep out in the open. But if you like more comfort than that, car camping can provide that.

Old 01-05-2019, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post

1. Convenience. You can pull into a campsite after dark. Climb into the back and you are ready to go to sleep. No setting up a tent in the dark.

2. Safety. Sleeping in your car, you are not likely to wake up and find a bear licking your face or insects crawling on you. It's possible, but much less likely.

3. Protection from weather. Your tent could get damaged by wind, or flooded in a downpour. It would take a pretty major event to get water inside your car. Also if the weather is cool, it could be much warmer inside your car with the windows rolled up, then in a tent.

4. Boondocking. You can camp anywhere. If you can't make it to a campsite, you could pull into a Walmart parking lot and sleep. Pretty hard to do that in a tent.

5. Peace and quiet. If you have other campers nearby, noise could be a problem. Your vehicle is a lot more soundproof than a tent.

If you are into roughing it, I can see where tent camping would be for you. Hell better yet, forget the tent and sleep out in the open. But if you like more comfort than that, car camping can provide that.
Meh, not feeling a lot of these, but YMMY.

1) Convenience. I camp for a variety of reasons--convenience is rarely one of them. If convenience is all I'm after, nothing is more convenient than sleeping in my own bed, or in a hotel bed if I'm on the road. As for setting up a tent in the dark--I could set up all of my tents with my eyes closed. But, then I also have flashlights, headlamps, and headlights from my vehicle.

2) Keep food out of your tent, and you don't have to worry about bears. Keep the tent zipped up during the day and you don't have to worry about insects. But, if you're overly worried about insects, why are you camping anyway?

3) This is why it's important to properly scout your campsite and appropriately stake/tie down your tent. Never had a problem with this. If the weather is cool? That's part of the reason I love camping. But, a good sleeping bag takes care of that.

4) No desire to sleep in a Wal-Mart parking lot. If that was my option, I'd find a cheap hotel.

5) No real issue with this as I'm usually the last one up putting out the fire at the end of the night.

Personally, compared to sleeping in the back of my SUV which I've done once, I wouldn't call tent camping "roughing it." Compared to my cot or even my simple ground pad, sleeping on the hard SUV interior which is then either hot and stuffy or mosquito-ridden, I'll take a tent everyday. I'd hardly think most car camping would "provide more comfort" than my typical weekend camping setup (backpacking is a different story).

Old 01-05-2019, 01:39 PM

1,156 posts, read 494,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post

Also:

5a. On a windy night, a tent can be noisy (the fabric flutters)... a car will be quieter inside.

6. If you're camped at a trailhead to get an early start on a hike, sleeping in the car means one less task to do in the morning (no taking down & folding a tent before you go).

Old 01-05-2019, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Also:

5a. On a windy night, a tent can be noisy (the fabric flutters)... a car will be quieter inside.

6. If you're camped at a trailhead to get an early start on a hike, sleeping in the car means one less task to do in the morning (no taking down & folding a tent before you go).
5a) Yeah, this one could make some sense, although I don't believe that noise has ever bothered me. Personally, I'll trade the noise for not being in the back of a stuffy, cramped SUV.

6) This one I don't necessarily get. Again, I go camping for the act of camping. And yes, that does require some work. In this instance though, if this is a day hike, it seems like you'd want to be coming back to your campsite after the hike anyway, so why take the tent down? Or this hike is part of backpacking, in which case you'd need that tent down the trail. But, you'd also then be using a backpacking tent, which is super quick and easy to tear down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive