U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2019, 05:14 PM

298 posts, read 123,084 times

Advertisements

Mine emits a very strong burning smell if I give it 2k rpms of gas or more while releasing the clutch to start moving. Generally I get it going at lower rpms unless I'm backing up into a steep driveway, etc. Never had a manual do this. Wondering if there's something wrong with the car. It's pretty new with low mileage and the clutch was checked out and is said to be good.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2019, 05:21 PM

8,083 posts, read 2,824,222 times
No more than needed. Unless you're launching, showing off, starting on a steep incline or some other extreme situation, your RPMs should never much exceed what they would be if you were cruising at a low speed. If idle is around 800, revving to about 1500 and holding it there as you let in the clutch and start moving should be plenty.

Of course, every car varies a little. But... "no more than needed." Revving high and letting a hard clutch drop pull it back down is wasteful and inefficient no matter how you slice it.

Old 01-03-2019, 05:24 PM

17,631 posts, read 11,084,828 times
Every car is different, and every one has a sweet spot where the car will start moving without over revving the engine. Generally, though, if you just bring up the rpms slightly above where the car normally idles, and AT THE EXACT SAME TIME start slowly releasing the clutch, the car will operate the way it should.

If you need practice with doing this, go to a shopping center parking lot after hours, or something like a school parking lot, and keep practicing and getting the feel of how to launch you car with the lowest rpms needed. Usually, your rpms only need to come up a couple of hundred rpms to do it correctly, and once the clutch pedal is all the way up, increase your rpms.

If you are going to 2,000 rpms, that seems way too high to me, no wonder you are smelling clutch burning.

Old 01-03-2019, 05:29 PM

4,218 posts, read 1,599,647 times
You should be able to start out at idle, with no added gas. If you are unaccustomed to a manual, it is good practice a couple of times to acclimate yourself to the feel of the clutch.

Old 01-03-2019, 05:39 PM

Ok thanks for the answers. The car idles around 1k (maybe 1.3 rpms when initially starting on a cold morning but goes down to 1k rpms after warming up). So revving to about 1.5 rpms appears to the sweet spot. 2k rpms (a touch more gas essentially) produces the strong smell which is what seems odd. I've owned two other manual vehicles; never experienced a burning smell on either after years of driving both. Both idled around 1k rpms.

Old 01-03-2019, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
You should be able to start out at idle, with no added gas. If you are unaccustomed to a manual, it is good practice a couple of times to acclimate yourself to the feel of the clutch.
What do you mean no added gas? Does one not need to press on the accelerator to start moving?

Old 01-03-2019, 05:44 PM

8,083 posts, read 2,824,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
You should be able to start out at idle, with no added gas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxthinkpinkxo View Post
What do you mean no added gas? Does one not need to press on the accelerator to start moving?
It depends on the engine - off-idle torque, mostly. I have a car I can get moving in 5th (1:1) with no foot on the throttle. It takes a fine gradation of clutch action and produces some extra clutch wear, but that's what around 300fpt@2k will get you.

The smaller the engine, the more gradual and further up the beginning of the torque band, the more throttle it will need to pull against the static weight of the car, but it should still be a balancing act, not a rev and drop.

Old 01-03-2019, 05:50 PM

14,160 posts, read 44,716,995 times
Quote:
Mine emits a very strong burning smell if I give it 2k rpms of gas or more while releasing the clutch to start moving. Generally I get it going at lower rpms unless I'm backing up into a steep driveway, etc. Never had a manual do this. Wondering if there's something wrong with the car. It's pretty new with low mileage and the clutch was checked out and is said to be good.

You don't seem to have much "feel" for starting out. Depending on the car and engine, generally I am just above idle, and my goal is to get the clutch fully engaged as fast as I can without stalling the engine.

I have over 200K miles on the clutch in my Scirocco, and it's less than 50% used up (on this car you can tell by the "rest" position of the clutch actuator arm on the transaxle)

If you smell the clutch when you are starting off, unless you are doing something unusual, you are slipping it *way* too much.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
You don't seem to have much "feel" for starting out. Depending on the car and engine, generally I am just above idle, and my goal is to get the clutch fully engaged as fast as I can without stalling the engine.

I have over 200K miles on the clutch in my Scirocco, and it's less than 50% used up (on this car you can tell by the "rest" position of the clutch actuator arm on the transaxle)

If you smell the clutch when you are starting off, unless you are doing something unusual, you are slipping it *way* too much.
Thanks I purchased the car recently so this is reassuring that it may just be my driving (a very fixable problem as opposed to an issue with the car.) I'll take this thing to a parking lot and start practicing!

Old 01-03-2019, 06:12 PM

1,744 posts, read 507,905 times
Quote:
If youre smelling things, you are using the clutch for way too long. Or you have the emergency brake on while youre trying to drive.
You shouldnt have the clutch engaged for longer than a second to get moving, regardless the RPMs..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or