U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 02:16 PM

288 posts, read 52,788 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Sure, because they would have been chucking old roofing materials off the roof. The legitimate possibility existed that someone might put a little too much muscle into a throw, or that something might bounce off the edge of the dumpster, and it could end up hitting and damaging a parked car.

That's a far cry from having some sawdust settle on your car from a board that was cut 50 feet away which has no potential for damage whatsoever.

I have to wonder how often the OP calls the city asking what they're going to do about the birds.
How do you know how far away it was? Were you there?

Frankly, you sound like one of those construction people that leaves a mess instead of cleaning up after yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 03:17 PM

1,072 posts, read 334,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Sure, because they would have been chucking old roofing materials off the roof. The legitimate possibility existed that someone might put a little too much muscle into a throw, or that something might bounce off the edge of the dumpster, and it could end up hitting and damaging a parked car.

That's a far cry from having some sawdust settle on your car from a board that was cut 50 feet away which has no potential for damage whatsoever.

I have to wonder how often the OP calls the city asking what they're going to do about the birds.
A car cover isn't going to protect your car from shingles being thrown from height.

As for the OP, just give your car a good wash, but make sure you thoroughly rinse all the dust off before you start rubbing your wash mitt or letting the brushes at the car wash touch your paint. I'd also change your cabin air filter a little earlier than normal. Do those things and you'll be fine.

Old 01-04-2019, 03:31 PM

4,987 posts, read 1,914,955 times
Here's another radical idea. Put your own cover on the car or drape an old sheet over the hood. Or, sweep the sawdust off of it with a broom. Simple. This is all temporary.

Old 01-04-2019, 03:37 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,259,761 times
Thats nothing last week I woke up to a foot of snow on my car! Happened again two days later.

Old 01-04-2019, 04:09 PM

8,954 posts, read 15,915,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
A car cover isn't going to protect your car from shingles being thrown from height.
I agree, it's all about creating the perception of caring. The likelihood that a car cover will protect your car from that kind of debris is about the same as the likelihood that the debris will hit your car in the first place. But people will see it and rave about how conscientious the contractor is. The cost of the covers will be recouped if it earns him one extra job.

As to the OP, the likelihood that his car will be scratched by putting a cover on it is greater than the likelihood that any harm whatsoever will come of the amount of sawdust that accumulated on his car the two hours it was parked there.

Old 01-04-2019, 05:58 PM

12,358 posts, read 8,476,853 times
It won't hurt a thing curt.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:29 PM

3,925 posts, read 1,697,769 times
Boy, I sure am glad this character isn't on an HOA board I have to deal with.

Old Yesterday, 12:52 AM

1,817 posts, read 1,219,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinco Ranch View Post
There is a remodeling project going on in the townhouse next to me and the worker has been sawing up a bunch of wood and all the dust has covered up my car entirely. What should I do? Is there a possibility of that wood dust entering my HVAC system? After washing my car should i have the blower on max with all windows down so it can get all that wood dust out of my vents and car?

All my windows were up initially when the car was covered in dust but I am concerned it might still enter my HVAC from the front bumper
Iíve worked in construction. I find a car completely covered in sawdust from a renovation in one day to be slightly over exaggerating.

How long did your car sit there?

I hope you cleaned the filter out. If not, the dust could cause thousands of dollars in damage to your head system. Especially if you drive a foreign car.

Old Today, 01:31 PM

662 posts, read 1,092,523 times
I would sell the car immediately and ensure the incident is reported on its Carfax.

Old Today, 01:35 PM

866 posts, read 589,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texsn95 View Post
I would sell the car immediately and ensure the incident is reported on its Carfax.
With a salvaged title. By the way OP is trolling everyone on this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive