U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:52 AM

5,748 posts, read 3,543,275 times

Advertisements

We have a lot of cars (eight) and we're not that particular about who drives what. We have a daughter who drives and another who is about to get her license, and they also take the car that is available, although we all have our preferences. Four of the cars are usually at my husband's shop and I never know which one he will choose to drive home that day.

There is not a lot of difference between them in terms of size--no vans or SUVs or pickups, just coupes and sedans--and because we switch them around so much, we habitually take everything out with us. No sunglasses or clothing items or food items get left in cars. We adjust seats and mirrors as needed. It's interesting to me to read about how strongly people consider their car a private personal space that others shouldn't mess with, because we just don't think that way.

This thread also makes me thankful I'm not one of those women who just refused to or "couldn't" learn to drive a manual, like my mother-in-law. Three of our cars are manual and it would just be too bad if they were the only ones available when I needed to go somewhere and I couldn't drive them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:16 AM

183 posts, read 32,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
This thread also makes me thankful I'm not one of those women who just refused to or "couldn't" learn to drive a manual, like my mother-in-law. Three of our cars are manual and it would just be too bad if they were the only ones available when I needed to go somewhere and I couldn't drive them.
My kids and I all learned to drive a manual for that exact reason. Out car shopping 15 years ago I fell in love with a used Sportage for a great price but it was a manual. We bought it with me not knowing how to drive a stick but determined to learn. All 3 of our kids eventually learned on that same vehicle. I loved that thing!!!

We've also gotten some good deals on cars with manual transmissions. The dealers seem to have a harder time selling them because so few people know how anymore unless you're into performance cars. We picked up a little Aveo for our daughter for a song and a dance practically. When she bought her own car she went looking specifically for a manual so less people would be asking to borrow it.

Old Yesterday, 10:30 AM

9,260 posts, read 16,772,707 times
I only drive my wife's car to fill the gas tank and get it serviced. I really don't like it, especially trying to get into it with the seat forward, seatback tilted upright, mirrors wrong.

My wife has only driven my car a couple times in 4 years, both times when I had eye surgery out of town, had driven there but couldn't drive home. My car is a Prius, easiest car in the world to drive. She just doesn't feel comfortable behind the wheel. She never did drive any of my pickups, even when my last one was my daily driver for 14 years.

She's my third wife. The first two drove my cars and I drove theirs all the time, like we hardly had "his and hers".

Old Yesterday, 10:37 AM

13,460 posts, read 7,416,881 times
My husband doesn't drive my car because he says it's uncomfortable. It's a relatively small Celica GTS with a manual transmission. I love driving it. We bought a 2018 Subaru last March and I drive it when I need it. I took our friend's 6 year old to the zoo yesterday and it's just easier getting her in and out of it vs my Celica. We both prefer the Subaru for long road trips.

Old Yesterday, 10:43 AM

91 posts, read 40,310 times
Back in the day, you were lucky to own one car, and the whole family shared it. It's interesting to me that people from the same family have a problem with other family members using "their" car.

Old Yesterday, 10:44 AM

638 posts, read 145,883 times
Currently all our vehicles are automatic, but we both know how to drive a stick shift. My first few cars were all manual transmissions. It's hard for me to imagine someone not being able to quickly master one.

As a general rule, we always drove our own vehicles rather than switching back and forth. I like my car cleaned and vacuumed. My husband isn't bothered if it's a mess. Ugh!

Old Yesterday, 11:14 AM

6,332 posts, read 3,496,482 times
I do find it odd when enthusiasts say they can't get a manual because their wife can't drive one...yet they have 2+ cars.

Old Yesterday, 11:32 AM

16,554 posts, read 10,152,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I don't think I've ever seen or noticed this. That's all.

With most couples (all that I know) one person drives his/her car -- and the other person drives......you got it....his or her car.

I get the people can be "protective" of their cars, or "used to" their cars, or even -- may hate the other person's car. And if one person is 5'2" and the other is 6'3" I get that "size wise" the vehicles may not be conducive to switching off. Even though today's cars have auto settings for two people. One button pushed and your preferences are set.

And, no doubt, someone might say -- I leave my XYZ in my car, that I need everyday and I don't want to switch them out. (To which I'd answer, yes, but you'd rather take time to switch the cars out, or have that person come out just so you can get out?)

I've just wondered what the big deal is about not driving the other vehicle. I mean, in a married couple -- what belongs to one, belongs to the other. No?

I've seen couple with one drive way to the car switcheroo every day...so that the person who got home first, can leave earlier than the other. Or the person who's first in the driveway, may want to go out, and someone has to move the car that's behind. Now THAT day-to-day musical chair with cars is what would get on my nerves.

To avoid that one person takes the driveway (or garage), and the other person parks on the street. Well, you could both park off the street, if you'd just switch off cars you drive

I've always thought just take the car that's on the back, and go where you're going. But you'd think I was talking about a crime, when suggesting, just take the other car.

I learned many years ago, when we were married, that HER car was HER car, and I never drove it unless it was an emergency. She kept her interior spotless and I am not exactly what we might call "neat". So I would catch Hell for leaving some receipt or bit of trash in HER car.

I also learned to keep HER car filled with gas and I would wash and wax it for her. Happy wife, happy life.

Old Yesterday, 11:38 AM

8,442 posts, read 10,242,973 times
For many years, I drove my sports car/s, while we both drove my wife's larger, more comfortable sedan or SUV, in lieu of my smaller car. During those years we mostly drove our own cars. I would occasionally use hers, but, she didn't care for the sports car/s.

In retirement, I finally got rid of the sports car and we now both have late model SUV's. Now, I do most of the driving and there is little rhyme or reason as to which car 'we' take, or even which car each takes when we are alone (although she still usually takes hers and I take mine).

If anything, I try to balance out the mileage and condition until such time as we get rid of one vehicle and both live with just one vehicle (health and eyesight are becoming greater factors than auto considerations).

Old Yesterday, 12:13 PM

772 posts, read 190,544 times
I drive everything. Wife only drives 2 or 3.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or