U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2019, 12:33 PM

7,149 posts, read 11,011,521 times

Advertisements

Wife will not drive my full sized, quad cab truck, so no worries for me!

Her vehicle is the family "car". It used to be two Mustangs and then a Fusion. Now it's a roomy carryall. I don't mind driving it, but I do have to move the seats and mirrors to do so.

And yes, I do get to keep it gassed up and shiny for her.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2019, 12:47 PM

1,028 posts, read 974,745 times
I drive all of our vehicles, but my wife only drives the Lexus Rx400h, Fiat 500e, and Tesla Model S. She's forgotten how to drive a manual and has no interest in driving a truck, so that leaves our old VW Golf TDI and Chevy Duramax for me. She has a 55 mile commute to work 2-3 times a week so I do 99% of the driving when we are together. I'm 5'9" and she is 5'4.5" but our legs are same length so our seat position can be about the same...I just need to sink about 2" lower than her. The compromise is that meet in the middle and she deals with the mirrors being an inch higher than she would naturally like and I deal with the mirrors being an inch lower than I would naturally like. It doesn't inhibit our ability to drive or view the proper field of vision, it's just a little bit off from our natural tendencies. Besides, the majority of drivers have their mirrors incorrectly positioned anyways.

I grew up in a family of communal-cars. They were all owned by my mom and she made clear that we understood that (she discouraged hooning) and to respect other people's property and their rules for their property. My wife bought her first car (salvaged 91 Honda Accord EX) with money she saved for years while working below minimum wage ($3.85/hr) at a water park. Her parents sold her car while she was interning in DC, gave her brother's old Integra to her, and pocketed the money. She went off to London for her L.LM and told me to make sure they didn't sell her car while she was away. I felt so bad for her that I make sure she drives whatever car she wants...besides she makes 9X more money than I ever did on a W2 so she's more than earned it.

Old 01-04-2019, 12:50 PM

9,084 posts, read 9,501,886 times
My wife views cars as an appliances, and regularly "forget" what kind of car she drove when she first got it. I, on the other hand, view cars as an experience and can quote HP, TQ and other specs of all the cars we own.

We interchange pretty regularly, but tradionally, I have my car and she has hers. I drive hers more because it's the family, 3row equipped SUV that we bought for practical family reasons. Really the only time she takes me car is if I need to use the SUV for some reason like a trip to home depot. She'll take mine simply because she needs to go from point A to point B.

I do have a 3rd car that is strictly mine as I don't let anyone other than myself drive that car. I do my own alignments just so some tech doesn't have to drive it into the bay

Last edited by BostonMike7; 01-04-2019 at 01:01 PM..

Old 01-04-2019, 12:51 PM

9,044 posts, read 4,999,204 times
We have essentially a small, medium, and large vehicles. We take whatever vehicle suites our need of that time or whatever is convenient as we have a long single lane driveway.

Technically, the small and large vehicles are mine. I bought them and they are registered under my name. The medium vehicle was purchased by my wife. When we had twins she realized that her vehicle is too small so she now primarily drives the large vehicle. I drive the small one because of better gas mileage on my daily long commutes and her medium vehicle if there is snow or I need to haul stuff or more than 1 passenger.

Old 01-04-2019, 12:56 PM

10,671 posts, read 7,610,407 times
We have 4 vehicles. My wife has never driven my Cobra replica because she doesn't want to. I drive her old Wrangler most of the time and she doesn't like driving my F150 truck but she will if needed. Her go to car is her Grand Cherokee but if we go out or on a road trip she usually has me drive it.

We do share 3 out of 4 vehicles but she is happiest in her new Jeep.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:22 PM

28,914 posts, read 44,241,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
I think in most marriages, the wife gets the nicer car. Guys do this to try to keep them happy (which is sometimes a loosing battle anyways, but that's a whole different story). How it is supposed to work is "happy wife, happy life". Letting her drive the nicer car is part of that, even if it means having to play musical cars in the driveway every day to make it happen.
"Letting her" drive it? I didn't realize we needed our husband's permission, especially those of us women who WORK and buy our own cars.

Last edited by gizmo980; 01-04-2019 at 02:48 PM..

Old 01-04-2019, 02:42 PM

9,240 posts, read 7,697,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
"Letting her" drive it? I didn't realize we needed our husband's permission, especially those of us women who WORK and buy our own cars.
I offered to trade in my car, she picks the vehicle she wants, and I would drive her car. She said, “no, just get the car you want”. I have an Elantra now. It’s my commuter vehicle. Her current car is a 2007 Chrysler Sebring. Her next vehicle will be about the same size sedan or crossover. This way we’ll have an efficient commuter and a comfortable highway cruiser.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:42 PM

576 posts, read 202,895 times
I am glad that other people tend to prefer to stick to one car as I think my husband thinks that I am strange that I don't like driving his car. We have always shared cars to a fair extent but as I cannot drive manuals, a couple of times he has had sports cars and I did not drive them. For a long time he had a work car and the rule at the time, it being a public service department, was that it could not be used privately, except for getting to and from work. But I think we often had two cars of our own, often shared with teenagers.

I am not happy with the current car situation. Two years ago he was driving what was meant to be my car, a VW golf, and it was written off. I had mostly been driving his Lexus SUV as it has the tethered car seats we need to carry grandkids. We then got an Audi and I hardly drive it. He drives much more and it is incredibly economical, the indicators and so on are on the opposite side and I am still getting used to not having a key.

So I am planning to wait until we only need one tethered childseat, in October, and get something small and simple, like a Corolla, for me.
D

Old 01-04-2019, 02:49 PM

28,914 posts, read 44,241,094 times
Now to answer the OP, I know a few couples who switch off their cars... usually they each have one that's technically theirs, but will switch based on who's taking the kids or commuting farther, etc. My sister and her husband have one large SUV + a small electric car, which I'd say are equally shared. If you want to get technical, though, my SISTER paid for both with her (much higher) salary. But whoever is picking up the kids that day usually takes the SUV, and when my sister was commuting to Oakland, she was primarily using the EV. So in their case, I would say they're both "communuty/family" cars.

Old 01-04-2019, 03:27 PM

361 posts, read 361,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
You're right. You don't need permission to do anything. Just do and take whatever you want. You are certainly entitled to it.

Thanks for reminding me of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or