U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old Today, 10:46 AM

3,483 posts, read 5,155,743 times

Advertisements

After buying my used BMW here in the states I looked at similar cars in the UK just for fun. I was amazed that comparable cars I was looking at were both lower in price and mileage than what was on craigslist/cargurus here. I assume they had their MOT already so there is that advantage too.

Not sure if it applies to the OP but warranties and their geographic limits, if any, should also be considered.

Also like the fact that there is more variety in Europe so diesels, wagons, hatchbacks and manual transmissions will be more widely available.
Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 10:55 AM

10,036 posts, read 8,216,889 times
It has to meet EU standards. If Swedish standards are higher, it must meet those. Getting the car registered may be a problem, for other reasons as well and there could also be tax issues. Better to do your research first, before you ship it.

Old Today, 11:03 AM

1,221 posts, read 264,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
It has to meet EU standards. If Swedish standards are higher, it must meet those. Getting the car registered may be a problem, for other reasons as well and there could also be tax issues. Better to do your research first, before you ship it.
Where can I find that out? Hard to find anything online.
Thanks for your help.

Old Today, 11:15 AM

1,221 posts, read 264,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
If moving permanently, then it is worth it.
Yes I am

Old Today, 04:16 PM

1,840 posts, read 773,796 times
As someone who has done this several times the questions you really need to be asking is this:

- How long are you planning to stay? If for 6-12 months, depending on country, you could leave it on your US plates. Buy local insurance.
- How new is the car? Some countries will let you import the car if it is a certain number of years old. Any newer and they prevent it.
- How much will it cost to ship it? Including insurance? I've shipped cars for less than $3k each way so much cheaper than selling and buying.
- If you ship and transfer the plates, how much will it cost in vehicle tax per year? How big is the engine? Nordic countries have extremely high automobile taxes, higher for engines over 2L or so. In addition, buying something new, on local plates, can be extremely expensive.
- If you ship and transfer plates, how much will it cost to insure locally?

Check these out and your decision should be straight forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or