U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 10:24 AM
 
Location: Keosauqua, Iowa
8,973 posts, read 15,930,491 times
Reputation: 11705

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I donít care how old your car is or how low your standards are, but I do care to comment if youíre claiming itís because modern cars are too complicated because thatís just wrong.
That's the opposite of what you said before. Previously you talked about how people are "bragging" about owning old cars, now you say that they're "complaining" that new cars are too complicated. Which is it?

 
Old Yesterday, 10:58 AM
 
Location: Maryland
157 posts, read 23,249 times
Reputation: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
That's the opposite of what you said before. Previously you talked about how people are "bragging" about owning old cars, now you say that they're "complaining" that new cars are too complicated. Which is it?

Both. And it's a constant theme on this forum: bragging that you're superior for buying/owning an old car AND complaining that new cars are too complicated to own.

Like I said, I like old cars AND I like new cars. You can like and even own both. It's not about simply owning an older car (I have a few of them), its about the spurious (and often insulting) reasons put forth for doing so. Those reasons can be examined and commented on, especially when they are flat out wrong, or misinformed at best.
 
Old Yesterday, 11:06 AM
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
8,101 posts, read 6,668,667 times
Reputation: 7331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I donít care how old your car is or how low your standards are, but I do care to comment if youíre claiming itís because modern cars are too complicated because thatís just wrong.
If someone says that a car accessory is too complicated for them, then it is. Nothing you spout will change it.

You act as if you are correcting some universal wrong. Youíre not.
__________________
"No Copyrighted Material"

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
 
Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM
 
Location: Staten Island, NY
8,101 posts, read 6,668,667 times
Reputation: 7331
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Both. And it's a constant theme on this forum: bragging that you're superior for buying/owning an old car AND complaining that new cars are too complicated to own.

Like I said, I like old cars AND I like new cars. You can like and even own both. It's not about simply owning an older car (I have a few of them), its about the spurious (and often insulting) reasons put forth for doing so. Those reasons can be examined and commented on, especially when they are flat out wrong, or misinformed at best.
Your point would be valid if people were talking about how their preferences make them better. I simply donít see it. I see you and Ziggy creating this sense of superiority that no one else is expressing.

People are going to like what they like. Why anyone would take issue with anotherís personal preferences is beyond me.
__________________
"No Copyrighted Material"

Need help? Click on this: >>> ToS, Mod List, Rules & FAQ's, Guide, CD Home page, How to Search
 
Old Yesterday, 11:21 AM
 
2,408 posts, read 6,170,340 times
Reputation: 2073
1999 Tacoma SR5 bought new,$17,000,replaced my 1986 extra cab,207,000 miles.Haven't had car payment in years,cars today to much junk to repair.
Kind of funny I had oil changed at Midas and they said my vehicle takes 6 quarts,looked at 20 years records all 5 quarts,ripoff,the Toyota owners manual says 5.4 American and 5.8 Canada,Imp. gal.,always someone out to scam you.
We are new to area.

Last edited by DanBev; Yesterday at 11:24 AM.. Reason: spelling
 
Old Yesterday, 12:03 PM
 
Location: Maryland
157 posts, read 23,249 times
Reputation: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
Your point would be valid if people were talking about how their preferences make them better. I simply donít see it. I see you and Ziggy creating this sense of superiority that no one else is expressing.
Then you haven't been paying attention to the day in and day out insultingly superior behavior of the wannabe Dave Ramseys in this forum.

Quote:
People are going to like what they like. Why anyone would take issue with anotherís personal preferences is beyond me.
Again, we DON'T take issue with their preference, only their facts. When they say something like this:

Quote:
What if take your car to the race-track, and the accident-avoidance system emails home-base, saying that you're driving dangerously, voiding your warranty?
...then they are WRONG. It doesn't work that way. Why CAN'T we comment on misinformed statements on here? Statements that will be seen and possibly relied on by MANY viewers for years?

Again, statements like this:

Quote:
What if your car insists on rebooting (after receiving a software upgrade overnight)?
Need to be remarked on as no car other than Teslas do that.

Things like not wanting a new car because it has bluetooth and that could break is spurious logic: if it breaks it's just like a car that has no bluetooth. Hell, I ADDED BT to my 18 year old BMW and if it failed to pair up one time, what happened? It reverted back to being what it was in stock form: a car without BT. This is different than not wanting built-in nav because the factory nav will become outdated soon and is hard to update. Yeah, that's logical and factual. And worse if it costs a substantial amount extra.

If it doesn't cost extra, and is included in the base price then you put up with it, especially if the factory nav/infotainment allows you to connect your smartphone and use a nav app like Waze that is constantly updated. But if you're avoiding it because you don't like tech and you think it can't be worked on later out of warranty, then you've probably got facts wrong there. Using my BMW as an example, the factory nav unit was a CD based, 2D screen. I upgraded it to a newer DVD based system with 3D graphics and modern maps. And any part of it was modifiable due to work that the aftermarket put into it. And anything that could go wrong with it was well documented on how to resolve any issue. And thanks to the simplicity of the IBUS/CANBUS system, it's easy to upgrade that 18 year old BMW to the latest in BMW infotainment/Nav systems (pricey, but easy).

The aftermarket has stepped up on a lot of car models to solve any issue, or make it easier for the home mechanic to work on new cars. And mechanical systems are still the same as they always have been: bushings, springs, tie rods, brakes, etc are the same as they have been since the mid-80s at least, if not older. Engines still need air/fuel/spark and the systems that do that have been simplified over the years and diagnosis is often easier than ever. Even tracing down things like vacuum leaks is vastly easier than it was in the '70s and '80s with those masses of vacuum hoses all over an engine back then...

But if you have a warranty, you don't have to worry about those things for years and by the time you do have to worry about them, the problems will have been solved, and repairs documented and there'll be a YouTube video to walk you through any process.

So, you can prefer an older car (3 of my 5 favorite cars are older than I am). But if your reason for doing so is a factually incorrect one, or you're saying that the only way to buy a car is used or that people who buy new cars are fools (like so many of the Ramsey followers do) then you're going to be commented on.
 
Old Yesterday, 12:20 PM
 
7,403 posts, read 2,773,240 times
Reputation: 4985
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
If someone says that a car accessory is too complicated for them, then it is. Nothing you spout will change it.

You act as if you are correcting some universal wrong. Youíre not.
Itís an automotive forum not a survey. People comment on other peopleís comments. If somebody states something is too complicated itís within my rights to optionate that it is indeed not and explain why.

Forums are useful tools for people who otherwise would just hang out with their own demographic. For some people itís the only opportunity to communicate with people outside their social circle and provide more diverse viewpoints and information than theyíd otherwise be exposed to. If you chose to block out that viewpoint thatís your prerogative but itís there for everybody else.
 
Old Yesterday, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Keosauqua, Iowa
8,973 posts, read 15,930,491 times
Reputation: 11705
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
Then you haven't been paying attention to the day in and day out insultingly superior behavior of the wannabe Dave Ramseys in this forum.

Again, we DON'T take issue with their preference, only their facts. When they say something like this:

...then they are WRONG. It doesn't work that way. Why CAN'T we comment on misinformed statements on here? Statements that will be seen and possibly relied on by MANY viewers for years?

Again, statements like this:

Need to be remarked on as no car other than Teslas do that.

Things like not wanting a new car because it has bluetooth and that could break is spurious logic: if it breaks it's just like a car that has no bluetooth. Hell, I ADDED BT to my 18 year old BMW and if it failed to pair up one time, what happened? It reverted back to being what it was in stock form: a car without BT. This is different than not wanting built-in nav because the factory nav will become outdated soon and is hard to update. Yeah, that's logical and factual. And worse if it costs a substantial amount extra.

If it doesn't cost extra, and is included in the base price then you put up with it, especially if the factory nav/infotainment allows you to connect your smartphone and use a nav app like Waze that is constantly updated. But if you're avoiding it because you don't like tech and you think it can't be worked on later out of warranty, then you've probably got facts wrong there. Using my BMW as an example, the factory nav unit was a CD based, 2D screen. I upgraded it to a newer DVD based system with 3D graphics and modern maps. And any part of it was modifiable due to work that the aftermarket put into it. And anything that could go wrong with it was well documented on how to resolve any issue. And thanks to the simplicity of the IBUS/CANBUS system, it's easy to upgrade that 18 year old BMW to the latest in BMW infotainment/Nav systems (pricey, but easy).

The aftermarket has stepped up on a lot of car models to solve any issue, or make it easier for the home mechanic to work on new cars. And mechanical systems are still the same as they always have been: bushings, springs, tie rods, brakes, etc are the same as they have been since the mid-80s at least, if not older. Engines still need air/fuel/spark and the systems that do that have been simplified over the years and diagnosis is often easier than ever. Even tracing down things like vacuum leaks is vastly easier than it was in the '70s and '80s with those masses of vacuum hoses all over an engine back then...

But if you have a warranty, you don't have to worry about those things for years and by the time you do have to worry about them, the problems will have been solved, and repairs documented and there'll be a YouTube video to walk you through any process.

So, you can prefer an older car (3 of my 5 favorite cars are older than I am). But if your reason for doing so is a factually incorrect one, or you're saying that the only way to buy a car is used or that people who buy new cars are fools (like so many of the Ramsey followers do) then you're going to be commented on.
Fair enough. But can you please tell me exactly what you think this comment added to the conversation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
You have had the same lame cars for decades. Not having a car payment hasnít really done you any favors.
 
Old Yesterday, 04:30 PM
 
Location: Port Charlotte FL
942 posts, read 548,290 times
Reputation: 2565
2001 dodge dakota quad cab...160,000 miles...cost $25,000 new in late 2000..a few more payments and she'll be all mine..lol..
 
Old Today, 02:05 PM
 
Location: NW Indiana
39,571 posts, read 14,659,748 times
Reputation: 100310
Unfortunately, this thread devolved into a mess of personal attacks, bickering and off-topic comments. The most recent inappropriate posts have been deleted. The thread is now closed.

People, don't make your comments personal. You may attack an idea, but not the intelligence, nor the character nor the veracity of the person who posted it. Try showing a little respect for one another.

Thank you, those who actually stayed on topic and had a grown-up conversation.


.
__________________
My posts as a Moderator will always be in red.
Be sure to review Terms of Service: TOS And check this out: FAQ
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Automotive, Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
___________________________
~ Life's a gift. Don't waste it. ~
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top