U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 12:00 AM

7,902 posts, read 4,156,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
So work is fairly close and I don't do a lot of driving outside of work. I average 10,000KM a year. My car is 2003 and I'm pretty sure I can drive it for another 5 years. No major problems yet knock on wood.

Just wondering who still drives a car at least 20 years old. I can imagine for those who don't average a lot of mileage a year like me they still might have a vehicle from the 90's.
I drive a 1987 Mazda RX7

I finally landed a job that I don't have to put a lot of miles on it. Which is good, because I hated having to do that.

The trick here is maintenance. At one time in my life I had two cars, older model cars. When one was in the shop I drove the other and visa versa. I would still do that, but now I don't have to pay labor maintenance, because my oldest son who also drives a 1982 RX7 is my mechanic, on call and really really local.

Old 01-06-2019, 12:36 AM

22,202 posts, read 26,932,182 times
1995 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series, 137,000 miles, original engine and transmission. Semi-daily driver (about 4-5 times/week)

1976 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, 100,xxx miles, original engine and transmission. Driven about 3 times/month.

Old 01-06-2019, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Dumb thing to say.

I've been on the 'bleeding edge' of tech since the '60s, back then I was dreaming of (up) the shi...stuff you take for granted today. I was on the 'internet' before most people had even an inkling of what it was...and what it would turn out to be (and, boy has *that* been a disappointment, so far).

But...I've been with my wife for more than 35 years...I have two Heep Cherokee Sports, a '96 and a '99, two Yamaha Viragos, a '94 and a '96, a '92 Dodge Ram...and a couple of [slightly] newer vehicles. Hey, when something works, I stick with it...I still have a Tandy 1200 with 8" floppies, 128k memory with the 128k upgrade; and a Frankenstein 286 built out of parts salvaged from dumpsters, which, frankly, is still capable of doing everything I need it to do aside from stupid bullshtuff like entertainment on what the 'net has turned out to be...
I still have a trash 80, but I don't think there are too many people that know what you said, after ... I stick with it ...

My oldest son's bedroom is where old computers go to die. He still has everything we ever had and doesn't know how to throw anything away. Just saying, I get it.

Old 01-06-2019, 01:17 AM

7,034 posts, read 4,581,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
All my cars are over 20 years old, paid for, all bought cash. The eponymous M3, a 1988 model, was bought for around $10K and now is worth at least $40K.

I hate new cars, with their Canbus, CVT, Bluetooth, etc. Stuff I don't want, don't need, and don't want to be involved with trying to fix when it breaks down.
The E30 M3 was (and remains) an icon, inimitable today. Looking at what BMW has become today, it's outright disgusting how far they've degenerated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
All these fancy new cars with their electric starters and AM radios. What are you gonna do when all that breaks?
Exactly. I donít feel comfortable driving a car that lacks the capacity to hand-crank the engine.

Quote:
But seriously, sticking with the same car for 20 years means youíre missing out on a lot. Most marriages donít last that long. A lot of these types of threads seems to draw responses from people afraid of technology (and improved safety, and better gas mileage, more horsepower, better handling, etc. ). I can think of nothing from 20 years ago thatís better than it is today.
ďBetterĒ is subjective. Iíd much rather have M3 Mitchís 1988 M3 than a 2019 model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Music was better 20 years ago.
Music was better 200 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I dont think anyone is afraid of technology. That makes no sense. I donít buy a new truck because I donít need a new truck, not because i canít afford it or Iím afraid of technology.
New technology isnít necessarily an improvement. Often the churning is just necessary to turn a profit. Iím not convinced that Windows 10 is superior to NT 4.0 (other than being able to address 64 bits). Iím not convinced that todayís video games are superior to 1980s Tetris. And my favorite game Ė chess Ė is something like 1300 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
No, he has a problem with people that act superior for driving cheap old beaters. Which is most people in this thread. It rarely seems like it's about simply liking the era they are influenced by, but in being proud of NOT buying a car simply because it's new, for various spurious reasons. Like computer controls or CANBUS systems.
They're not spurious reasons, if you are an amateur mechanic who lacks the diagnostic tools that are the purview now only of dealer service-departments.

It's quite true, that one could be showy and ostentatious about sticking with the old, or about clamoring for the new, or anything in between. But the point remains, that as automotive technology advances, the complexity introduces ever more buffer between the driver and the machine, and between the amateur mechanic and the machine.

Henry Ford grew up disassembling and reassembling mechanical watches. How would today's budding Henry Fords do, disassembling and reassembling an I-watch, or whatever they are now?

Old 01-06-2019, 01:28 AM

Quote:
And what is it that your Tandy 1200 does better again? Play Super Pitfall all day? Iím not sure what you have against the internet, but itís a pretty big place, surely thereís something out there to float your boat.

But all jokes aside at some point most people get to an age where they just get nostalgic at some specific time period and refuse to adapt. At some point Iím sure some old timer thought the same thing when indoor plumbing first became mainstream. ďWho needs a bunch of complicated pipes and toilets when a bucket works just fine!Ē Itís just a natural sign of aging.
When your computer malfunctions, do you fix it, or do you send it off to be repaired?
For some of us, we can't afford to send it off ... we have to fix it. So some of us had to learn the technology in order to do our own maintenance.

For some people it is the same with the cars they drive. (The Right to Repair Act) They like being able to do their own maintenance.

That person's Tandy is doing what that person needs a Tandy to do, their computer work.

What happens when the plumbing fails and one can not afford to have it fixed ... buckets work just fine.

My exhusband use to have back in the day, a 1959 Ford Truck. We lived in Colorado, he was military. Really cold winters the truck fired off every morning. His buddies, vehicles ... not so well, they caught a ride with him in the mornings to go to PT.

We do what we do, who cares why ... judging it is a natural sign of something. I came into this thread because people were talking about old cars, who knew 'that' would get complicated?

Old 01-06-2019, 06:06 AM

7,404 posts, read 2,773,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
When your computer malfunctions, do you fix it, or do you send it off to be repaired?
For some of us, we can't afford to send it off ... we have to fix it. So some of us had to learn the technology in order to do our own maintenance.

For some people it is the same with the cars they drive. (The Right to Repair Act) They like being able to do their own maintenance.

That person's Tandy is doing what that person needs a Tandy to do, their computer work.

What happens when the plumbing fails and one can not afford to have it fixed ... buckets work just fine.

My exhusband use to have back in the day, a 1959 Ford Truck. We lived in Colorado, he was military. Really cold winters the truck fired off every morning. His buddies, vehicles ... not so well, they caught a ride with him in the mornings to go to PT.

We do what we do, who cares why ... judging it is a natural sign of something. I came into this thread because people were talking about old cars, who knew 'that' would get complicated?
What possible computer work can a Tandy do nowadays?
Iíve been able to fix every computer Iíve ever owned. However fixing it is not always cheaper than just getting a new one. Parts get obsolete quickly.

Contrary to popular belief, you can work on a brand new modern car just as easily as an old one. The days of changing out serpentine belts and spark plugs every 30k are gone, oil changes last much longer, transmissions and coolant systems are 100k jobs now. I can now buy a software program and a cable and read any code in the cars computer and do some deep troubleshooting without even popping the hood. Canbus is a much easier system to work with than those old mechanical systems.
Thereís even off the shelf software hacks to change your engineís operating parameters.
As with anything, itís more ignorance than actual complexity. For the vast majority of owners, they wonít know how a modern car works because it wonít break down nowhere near as often. In the old days car ownership meant you had to be mechanically inclined. Now itís just an option.

Old 01-06-2019, 06:17 AM

7,404 posts, read 2,773,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
No, he has a problem with people that act superior for driving cheap old beaters. Which is most people in this thread. It rarely seems like it's about simply liking the era they are influenced by, but in being proud of NOT buying a car simply because it's new, for various spurious reasons. Like computer controls or CANBUS systems. It doesn't seem so much about liking a certain car, but in being a competetive cheapskate in a competition to see who can spend the least on an old car (StealthRabbit comes to mind with his $35 VW Golfs running on waste veggie oil for free...).

I can like older cars AND new ones, and don't see why it's so hard to do for so many here. I can love my Volt, my older BMW and my MGB equally, but for different reasons. But I like cars. And I'm not in a competition to see how little or how much I can spend on them. Which opens me up to a whole world of them, not just the cheapest CL finds I can stand to drive OR the most expensive supercars on the market.
Well said!

Old 01-06-2019, 09:15 AM

1,405 posts, read 689,046 times
Quote:
Oh I fully understand.
. . . . It COSTS to keep up with the times.
Fixed that for ya.

Current primary vehicle = 1995 Camry, now at 334k miles and still ticking.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:20 AM

13,445 posts, read 11,140,476 times
I always have 2 vehicles...always a Toyota truck...now 25 yrs old and perfect...all the mechanics that might
change a belt comment on it after they drive it. 123K miles.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:24 AM

5 posts, read 644 times
Depends on the vehicle - I have had a plethora of older vehicles and find them easier to service without all of the multi layer computers in every damn system, from automatic Air to fuel management systems Such vehicles " 450sl, 560sl, sel, sec, 735i straight six, E320 straight six, ImpalaSS just to name my few
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or