Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 08:21 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times

Advertisements

Not quite 20 but one of our Subaru’s is 17 years old and will keep driving it to the wheels fall off. It’s got 332K on it.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:24 AM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
90 GMC. Daily driver.

Old 01-07-2019, 01:56 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
There’s nothing a Tandy can do that a modern computer can’t, hence they no longer make them.

You have a lot of cool anectdotss, but the overlying theme is ignorance. If a computer technician can not fix a tractor it’s not because the tractor is complicated, it’s becauze the computer technician isn’t a diesel mechanic. You grow with the times.
This isn't a measuring contest. How funny some people think that it is. Some people just want to be put the key into the ignition (that's me) of their vehicle and drive. Others want to be a bit more hands on. Can they be more hands on with the newer model cars ... yes they can. Whether they want to or not, who the hell cares? There is a bit more to it in some areas of the mechanics, maybe there is a bit less in other areas, however, there's no competition here and there is no reason to make it one.

People can read, they can comprehend, people know, as they have as always relied on their own experiences with car ownership. Assuming they don't, well ... that in itself is just ignorant.

Old 01-07-2019, 02:43 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,419,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
This isn't a measuring contest. How funny some people think that it is. Some people just want to be put the key into the ignition (that's me) of their vehicle and drive. Others want to be a bit more hands on. Can they be more hands on with the newer model cars ... yes they can. Whether they want to or not, who the hell cares? There is a bit more to it in some areas of the mechanics, maybe there is a bit less in other areas, however, there's no competition here and there is no reason to make it one.

People can read, they can comprehend, people know, as they have as always relied on their own experiences with car ownership. Assuming they don't, well ... that in itself is just ignorant.
Who cares if you’re vehicle is over 20 years old, do you also have underwear over 20 years old, i like new you like old so what to each their open.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:04 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post

It’s not. My response was to those who have ancient vehicles because “new vehicles are too hard to work on”.
or “the Bluetooth might break”.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
It’s not. My response was to those who have ancient vehicles because “new vehicles are too hard to work on”.
or “the Bluetooth might break”.
I found an interesting opinion piece:
Old Cars Are Better Than Modern Cars
Quote:
So are new cars better than the classics? My answer is: for what?
The tandy computer is doing what the owner of the tandy needs or wants for it to do. The car owner, is happy with their car as it fits their needs and or wants. So why are we still talking about this as if there is anything different to add to that?

Bluetooth, they malfunction ... and?

The radio talk show concerning cars that I mentioned was the 'Bobby Likis Car Clinic' show. It will be like looking for a needle in a hay stack to find the one show I was listening to that day, but if I do zero in on it, I will come back here to this thread and post it. It was a fascinating ... troubleshoot. Putting the key into the ignition turn it over to start and there was nothing. At one point I think they did get the car to turn over, it ran for about 1 minute then shut itself off again. They replaced the mother board ... didn't work. I found it interesting to listen to it and learn ... maybe some one else will too.

btw: It only takes me about a minute (and it is something I don't need some one else to do for me) to change the headlight bulb on my car. For other people ... ? I'm not saying they need an older car or a newer car ... I'm just saying.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Who cares if you’re vehicle is over 20 years old, do you also have underwear over 20 years old, i like new you like old so what to each their open.
you've got that right. But the thread began with a question and people showed up to answer it. Their posts have been made complicated by nonsense posts.

Social media usage is down overall. Gee, I wonder why ...

Old 01-08-2019, 06:41 AM

603 posts, read 442,759 times
As a daily driver ? No but I have several cars I drive semi regularly that date back to the late 50’s early 60’s.

Old 01-08-2019, 08:17 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
As a daily driver no, but I have project/hobby cars that are older than 20 years.

I've fixed old cars, and no cars. I don't find one any easier than the other..just different.

Old 01-08-2019, 09:15 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I call BS. If you didn't care you wouldn't have opened a thread entitled "Do you still drive a car at least 20 years old?" You would have simply said "Nope" and scrolled on by.
I don’t care how old your car is or how low your standards are, but I do care to comment if you’re claiming it’s because modern cars are too complicated because that’s just wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive