U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 01-04-2019, 02:40 PM
 
1,946 posts, read 1,336,418 times
Reputation: 3327

Advertisements

So work is fairly close and I don't do a lot of driving outside of work. I average 10,000KM a year. My car is 2003 and I'm pretty sure I can drive it for another 5 years. No major problems yet knock on wood.

Just wondering who still drives a car at least 20 years old. I can imagine for those who don't average a lot of mileage a year like me they still might have a vehicle from the 90's.

 
Old 01-04-2019, 02:46 PM
 
7,943 posts, read 3,192,158 times
Reputation: 5455
I don’t even have a washing machine from the 90’s.
 
Old 01-04-2019, 02:46 PM
 
Location: mancos
7,177 posts, read 6,468,783 times
Reputation: 4946
My jeep yj is a 1990 with 214000 miles runs great.Work truck a 1990 f150 with 386000 miles and going strong.I'm a 1952 so these will last as long as I do.Never had a car payment in My life.
 
Old 01-04-2019, 03:08 PM
 
7,943 posts, read 3,192,158 times
Reputation: 5455
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
My jeep yj is a 1990 with 214000 miles runs great.Work truck a 1990 f150 with 386000 miles and going strong.I'm a 1952 so these will last as long as I do.Never had a car payment in My life.
You have had the same lame cars for decades. Not having a car payment hasnít really done you any favors.
 
Old 01-04-2019, 03:25 PM
 
Location: Bellingham, WA
290 posts, read 798,843 times
Reputation: 475
I never thought when I bought my truck in March of 1998 that it would still be my daily driver almost 21 years later. The first generation Toyota Tacoma is a study in robust simplicity. Everyone keeps asking me when Iím going to buy a new car, but Iím not convinced a new one will be as reliable.
Attached Thumbnails
Do you still drive a car at least 20 years old?-00ca3db5-8c99-43b3-9972-78228b82dfd3.jpeg  
 
Old 01-04-2019, 03:33 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
8,495 posts, read 12,455,705 times
Reputation: 8070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
You have had the same lame cars for decades. Not having a car payment hasnít really done you any favors.
Lame....YJ's are not lame.

It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.
 
Old 01-04-2019, 03:39 PM
 
Location: Eastern Washington
14,242 posts, read 44,903,829 times
Reputation: 12823
All my cars are over 20 years old, paid for, all bought cash. The eponymous M3, a 1988 model, was bought for around $10K and now is worth at least $40K. 82 Scirocco was bought for $1000, with some needs, I took care of the needs and now it's a 40 MPG commuter. And on and on.


I hate new cars, with their Canbus, CVT, Bluetooth, etc. Stuff I don't want, don't need, and don't want to be involved with trying to fix when it breaks down.


But you trend chasers go ahead and buy new. Somebody needs to stimulate the economy, and I'm not about to.
 
Old 01-04-2019, 03:41 PM
 
7,943 posts, read 3,192,158 times
Reputation: 5455
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Lame....YJ's are not lame.

It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.
Oh I fully understand.
Itís a YJ which is quite possibly the lamest Jeep generation to ever exist. Thereís a reason they only had a fraction of the sales the newer ones have been enjoying. It pays to keep up with the times.
 
Old 01-04-2019, 03:46 PM
 
Location: Wyoming
9,417 posts, read 17,391,848 times
Reputation: 14079
My wife still drives her '97 Saturn. It's only got 67K miles on it, and the mileage is only that high because she bought it in '98 as a "program" car with 40K miles already on it. She only drives it ~1000 miles per year. But it sets outside 24/7 so is looking a little ratty, both inside and out -- fading, hail dents, fading, fading, fadin
 
Old 01-04-2019, 03:48 PM
 
7,943 posts, read 3,192,158 times
Reputation: 5455
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
All my cars are over 20 years old, paid for, all bought cash. The eponymous M3, a 1988 model, was bought for around $10K and now is worth at least $40K. 82 Scirocco was bought for $1000, with some needs, I took care of the needs and now it's a 40 MPG commuter. And on and on.


I hate new cars, with their Canbus, CVT, Bluetooth, etc. Stuff I don't want, don't need, and don't want to be involved with trying to fix when it breaks down.


But you trend chasers go ahead and buy new. Somebody needs to stimulate the economy, and I'm not about to.
Do you know what Bluetooth is like when it breaks down? Your car right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top