U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:58 AM

4,491 posts, read 4,524,650 times

Advertisements

1980 Mazda RX-7.

Had one new and loved it. Then wife got pregnant.

Two seater car had to go.

Then life became a series of mini-vans....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:22 AM

2,989 posts, read 1,513,663 times
Lots of interesting ideas - thanks! Seen many references to late 60's American muscle cars. Agreed that they are cool and represent, in my mind, the golden era of American auto manufacturing. However I owned, and loved, a '69 Dodge Super Bee that I had to practically give away in 1979. Too painful to pay for the gigantic "correction" in pricing. That car would now sell for about $50,000 - give or take.

Will not be a daily driver. I have a Ford truck and Dodge minivan that adequately fill that role.

At this moment, an old classic Mercedes (perhaps a convertible) makes as much sense as anything.

Old Yesterday, 11:02 AM

16,563 posts, read 10,164,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Tired of long distance land lording nightmares. Going to sell them and treat myself to a cool old car. There are so many that I hardly know where to begin. So I trotted over here to get some ideas. Here is my list of "wants":
1) 6'4" fits - can be snug as long as I fit.
2) Old enough and simple enough that a decent handyman can do essential maintenance.
3) Rare enough to costs some money, common enough to be "affordable". Currently thinking $5000-$50,000.
4) Why the huge range? Hoping that the car is "cool enough" not to depreciate like a rock.
5) Probably between 1955 and 1975. Power steering and brakes is nice on medium/large cars.
6) Capable of 85mph or better.
7) Not a POS fixer upper, not a show car.

European, Japanese or American? Not a real big factor.

Hoping the tone remains somewhat congenial...

If this is going to be your primary car, forget an old car. I have a bunch of older cars, and I love them all, but I keep a newer (well 1999) car for my daily because it is more dependable.

No matter how you maintain an old car, things break. Sometimes from mileage, sometimes from just age. If you have to depend on that old car to go to work, shop, etc, you will find there are times you will be climbing under it a lot more than you would like.

I know it seems romantic to have an old car to drive around in, and lots of people do, but old cars are gonna break, they always do.

Old Yesterday, 12:48 PM

2,904 posts, read 1,340,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I know it seems romantic to have an old car to drive around in, and lots of people do, but old cars are gonna break, they always do.
If someone dies in my car club, to honor them as many members as possible bring their cars to drive in the funeral procession.
At one of those processions, three of the cars died!

Members attitude about it? Well, that's how it goes with old cars... stuff's gonna happen.
And these are really good old cars, not jalopies.

I have yet to get through a season in my XR4Ti without "something" happening... and that's driving 1K miles a year.
There's no if it's gonna happen, it's when is it gonna happen. And hopefully I'm close to home when it does happen.

Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM

55,338 posts, read 39,097,681 times
Lincoln Continental Mk II has always been one of my choices but I fear prices have gone beyond my budget. I remember a Popular Science article from the '50s, the vanes on the hubcaps were separate pieces, they said it took more time to assemble a set of Mk II hubcaps than building a Fairlane on the assembly line. After that a '57 Cadillac convertible would float my boat. probably more readily available, I'm also a fan of late '40s early '50s GM 'Torpedo-back' sedans.

Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM

4,432 posts, read 1,472,657 times
Quote:
At this moment, an old classic Mercedes (perhaps a convertible) makes as much sense as anything.
It's pretty much my choice if I decide to get a more reasonable replacement for the (very fair weather only) beast I'm selling. I don't really need it, but it's that, a minivan or completing a long-time project car.

I really wanted a 280SL but the collectors noticed them and they're now in the $75k range. I loved the 450SL when it was new and still think it has one of the most... dunno the word. Not stylish, not sexy, not flashy, just very easy on the eyes and immensely well proportioned shapes on the road.

The 500's in particular get terrible mileage for such a small car, though.

I do wish I'd picked up a Kaiser Darrin, back when I had the chance on a very-nice-driver one. Show versions are approaching $100k now.

Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM

2,853 posts, read 2,543,280 times
I would consider a mid-1960s to late 1970s Olds 98, Buick Electra, or Chrysler New Yorker.

Old Yesterday, 03:02 PM

5,120 posts, read 9,246,529 times
I would start looking at late 80's early 90s Japaneese cars(Civic SI's, Integra GSR's, Nissan 180/240sx 300zx, ect) Foxbody Mustangs, SN95 Mustangs and the equilvant Camaro/Firebird. In the next 10/15 years, the value of those muscle cars is going to drop i would imagine. People my age are going to want the cars that they grew up with.

Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM

417 posts, read 69,883 times
‘67 Camaro SS. That year had the hideaway headlight covers. I had that car in get-a-ticket red. It hauled ***.

‘70 Dodge Charger 440 R/T. When it idled, it sounded like a tiger ready to pounce. It also had hideaway headlights.

Old Yesterday, 03:27 PM
BMI

6,731 posts, read 3,984,150 times
Quote:
Tired of long distance land lording nightmares. Going to sell them and treat myself to a cool old car. There are so many that I hardly know where to begin. So I trotted over here to get some ideas. Here is my list of "wants":
1) 6'4" fits - can be snug as long as I fit.
2) Old enough and simple enough that a decent handyman can do essential maintenance.
3) Rare enough to costs some money, common enough to be "affordable". Currently thinking $5000-$50,000.
4) Why the huge range? Hoping that the car is "cool enough" not to depreciate like a rock.
5) Probably between 1955 and 1975. Power steering and brakes is nice on medium/large cars.
6) Capable of 85mph or better.
7) Not a POS fixer upper, not a show car.

European, Japanese or American? Not a real big factor.

Hoping the tone remains somewhat congenial...
6’4”.....I’m thinking Cadillac Eldorado...like around 1969....always liked those...

or a 1965 Buick Riviera with “hideaway”headlights...really cool looking...

My personal faves are ...

1970 Challenger R/T....white with a 440...just like the one in the movie “Vanishing Point”

1968 Mustang Fastback ...preferably green like the one the movie “Bullitt”....ideally with a
428 cobrajet engine...390 will do.

My dad had a 1968 Camaro with a 327 ci engine....I would go for a SS 350 with RS package,
gives you “hideaway” headlights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or