U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 04:26 AM

4,976 posts, read 5,063,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Lots of interesting ideas - thanks!
At this moment, an old classic Mercedes (perhaps a convertible) makes as much sense as anything.
Much depends on your budget - for the purchase - and budget for repairs.

We have a shop in my rural town that does just older foreign cars. There is always 15 -30 foreign cars in yard/lot waiting for parts and/or repairs. If this is your genre then go for it.

You can purchase an excellent condition older Rolls Royce for about 25 grand on eb/y. But who is going to do the repairs?

Viewed a Meachum auction on the tele one time. The attendance was spare. A nice Chrysler TC Maserati was auctioned off. No reserve. Bidding started at $10,000 with no takers. Finally down to $1,000 - still no takers. Car sold for $800.00. Just an example of being at the right place at the right time. Now, whether you think the Chrysler TC is a great car or a piece of junk is not the point. The point is that there are bargains out there if one has the means, time, and patience.

Hope you have extra space in a covered garage. Not real good to leave any older car outside.

Me, I like the post war cars. The Nash, the Hudson, the Kaiser, the Studebaker, as well as the other offerings of that vintage. Simple to work on and repair. Great riding cars. But one has to be vigilant on upkeep and repairs.

Which leads me to my original perspective. A late 80's or early 90's car with airbag. Some are classic looking and quite dependable. And in my state - after 25 years - can get antique plates. Drive in parades. Sunday meets with the classic groups, or whatever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 05:53 AM

122 posts, read 20,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoGuy View Post
Could be a good choice. Have been considering an old Cadillac. Why not consider a Lincoln?
Lincoln is better anyway.

Old 01-06-2019, 09:35 AM

681 posts, read 425,388 times
Consider if you can do your own work or not, if not then a Mercedes or other foreign car will likely cost you more long-term in maintenance, but some of these can be had cheaply.

Personally I might target any 60s/early 70s Buick GS badged car, especially a GS convertible or Riviera GS. A Mercury Cyclone or 1st generation Plymouth GTX might provide a relative bargain for a big-block muscle car. You should hit a car show or two, and/or an auction, and see what speaks to you.

In terms of things to consider, well there's a lot that will fit into the overall experience in terms of cost and long-term holding of value, for example:

--Initial cost
--Your ability to do your own work, or not
--Maintenance cost
--Parts availability
--Desirability of the car
--Where the car is in its resale lifecycle-you might be better off finding a good example of newer car (80s/90s)that will be a classic or at least desirable someday but is currently relatively cheap, like the buyer of your Super Bee did.
--Originality, or not. A lot of the muscle car bargains out there are "clones" or "tributes", YMMV. Some cars wil have modifications that are well-done and desirable or easily removed, some may be a mess from amateur mechanics.
--Insurability

Old 01-06-2019, 10:33 AM

3,007 posts, read 1,517,234 times
Encouraging array of ideas - thanks to all participants!

My desire for a "cool car" does not include a Checker cab or pick up truck - I have two of those. One being pretty specialized with a 488 and 37" tires - it is for heavy loads and giant rural snowfalls.

I replaced the rear axle on my 2010 Ford F-150 last year. That was stretching my mechanical abilities. Much of the attraction of older cars is the tremendous ease of doing your own work. My hands won't even fit into a lot of modern engine spaces.

Hidden headlights never impressed me. On the other hand, convertibles are great fun in nice weather. Just built a 700 sq. ft. garage/storage unit.

Going to take a couple months to sell the first house. Not going to further contort my finances by biting on an auction deal before funds are accessible. Have to rebuild these trashed out rentals first. Went to Florida and discovered ~$100,000 in rental related damages while expecting ~$10,000. Made the decision to depart the long distance land lording torture quite easy. Oh the stories I have...

Old 01-06-2019, 10:51 AM

3,070 posts, read 792,082 times
I always loved the '64 Chevy Malibu.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:12 AM

956 posts, read 254,535 times
I wonder why the op is ignoring the same questions I have?
What do you mean by "long distance land lording nightmare?"
You have two modern vehicles, so I'm assuming this is just for fun? someone already asked if this would be a daily driver but you didn't answer the question.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:16 AM

1,158 posts, read 496,081 times
Okay, if it's coolness you want, what could be cooler than a classic Jaguar?

Old 01-06-2019, 12:35 PM
Status: "Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis" (set 14 days ago)

3,586 posts, read 2,945,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Okay, if it's coolness you want, what could be cooler than a classic Jaguar?
...a classic Jaguar XJS (1976-96) with engine replacement by Ford or Chevy to a V8?

I wouldn't go near those original V12s with anyone's checkbook, much less mine. The swap is well-documented and not terribly expensive, for enthusiasts with time and equipment.

Spotted one well-used in an article couple years ago for about $5K, with a Corvette V8. There are many out there. If it runs well, that's not the worst idea ever. Body had some blems in that case, which I'd probably spend some money to have tidied up and (either) blow a nice paint job or have it vinyl wrapped in some tasteful color...like British Racing Green

Old 01-06-2019, 12:54 PM

2,943 posts, read 8,445,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
I wonder why the op is ignoring the same questions I have?
What do you mean by "long distance land lording nightmare?"
You have two modern vehicles, so I'm assuming this is just for fun? someone already asked if this would be a daily driver but you didn't answer the question.
He has Rental properties around the US. He gets calls about property problems. He is going to sell his properties, and use the funds to buy a car.
Get out of the SlumLord business.
And yes, he did state it WOULDN'T be his daily driver.

But, in reality, buying a car is like getting married. At least a Classic. This is personal, you have to like it, feel good in it, want to show it off, and be proud of every turn of the wheels she makes. Nobody can tell you what you like, I can tell you I like 57 T-Birds, but that's me, because when I was in Med School one of the Dr'.s gave me a ride to the bus stop, and I fell in love then. Never owned one, but always fantasized about it. You have to look, follow your heart, drive it, sleep with it, date it, romance it, before you fall in love and will do anything to keep it running. Then you've got YOUR Match. Go Look, find out what you like, first, the body style, the motor, the color, then start looking for one in your price range. Good Luck.

Old 01-06-2019, 01:16 PM

2,943 posts, read 8,445,300 times
That all being said, here's one in Austin, not powerful, but a classic, and very usable, especially in Colorado.

https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/ct...775415307.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or