U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 02:29 PM

3,009 posts, read 1,519,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
He has Rental properties around the US. He gets calls about property problems. He is going to sell his properties, and use the funds to buy a car.
Get out of the SlumLord business.
And yes, he did state it WOULDN'T be his daily driver.

But, in reality, buying a car is like getting married. At least a Classic. This is personal, you have to like it, feel good in it, want to show it off, and be proud of every turn of the wheels she makes. Nobody can tell you what you like, I can tell you I like 57 T-Birds, but that's me, because when I was in Med School one of the Dr'.s gave me a ride to the bus stop, and I fell in love then. Never owned one, but always fantasized about it. You have to look, follow your heart, drive it, sleep with it, date it, romance it, before you fall in love and will do anything to keep it running. Then you've got YOUR Match. Go Look, find out what you like, first, the body style, the motor, the color, then start looking for one in your price range. Good Luck.
Actually Duke is on my ignore list. Ignoring the ignore list confirms the original reasoning the vast majority of the time. Some folks take great pride in being "net difficult" - I suspect some of them are pretty well paid for their efforts. Showing assertiveness and aggressiveness etc.

The '57 T-Bird is easily a Top 10 classic which likely makes it quite expensive.

An old Jaguar was brought up as was the V12 problems. I had a V12 Jag, the engine is why I sold it pretty fast. It did have an awesome ride, I believe the car was extra-ordinarily heavy. The cast iron alternator connecting rod broke when I floored it. That was $70 at a yard in 1985. Just one of a few lessons. Thinking of something lighter and sportier.

I did enjoy driving my brothers Mercedes, it felt very solid. Plus I have an ~160 gallon Peterbilt diesel fuel tank that is full. My solar array works so well that the diesel generator is rarely activated.

Yes the decision is personal. But knowledge about strengths and weaknesses is not easily spotted. There have already been several great "investor oriented" cars mentioned. I do like slow depreciation and manageable maintenance expenses.

Another plus of an old car? It may survive an EMP or solar flare. Modern electronics will not. Plus I actully enjoyed working on older cars with "potential under the hood". There was a time that I could have rebuilt a Carter AVS carburetor with my eyes closed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 02:52 PM

5,002 posts, read 7,099,038 times
If you are in the market for "eye candy", I would suggest a 66 Tbird.
Value is going up on these.
Comfortable ride, with plenty of leg room.
Easy to work on, if the need arises.
Check web sites, as there are many available.
I sold this one about four years ago,(fully restored) because I wanted to get a Corvette.
Had absolutely no problem selling it, and it sold in two days after I posted the ad.

Bob.
Attached Thumbnails
What "classic" might you recommend?-bird-driveway.jpg  

Old 01-06-2019, 03:16 PM

8,181 posts, read 6,992,428 times
1968 Olds 442 convertible.

Old 01-06-2019, 03:29 PM

2,002 posts, read 696,969 times
'69 Roadrunner

Old 01-06-2019, 04:25 PM

A project car may make sense if one has time, connections or lives close to a major metro area. Looking at fixer uppers and thinking of the time and money involved without good connections, seems that one in good condition makes more sense. There is almost no way that one is going to find bargains on parts for a noted classic.

Old 01-06-2019, 05:15 PM

2,731 posts, read 1,864,883 times
Id recommend a classic, mid 60s Chevy truck. Those seem to be bullet proof, great engines and drivetrain.

Old 01-06-2019, 05:38 PM

8,245 posts, read 12,056,763 times
I'd recommend staying away from Barrett-Jackson. All that hype just raises the prices.

Better off with Mecum.

Old 01-06-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Id recommend a classic, mid 60s Chevy truck. Those seem to be bullet proof, great engines and drivetrain.
I had a '63 and was less than thrilled.

I have two pick-ups and a 14' box truck. Seems to be enough. I might sell the Dodge w/488 but I think it "may" hold its value and I like it. Plus it will blast through drifts with 37" tires and 4WD.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:50 PM

5,002 posts, read 7,099,038 times
If getting a classic(25 years or older) is not set in stone, you might consider an older Corvette.
Obviously I am a bit bias as to the generation of Corvette to get, but depending on your particular situation, a Corvette could be just the car for you.
My C5 has plenty of leg room for a tall person.
Absolutely quick on acceleration.

Surprisingly great on gas for a sports car, and these things are made so well, maintenance is minimal.
Parts (if they are needed) are available online, at many outlets.
There is just something about being behind the wheel of a Corvette.
It quickly becomes a state of mind.

I bought this one soon after I sold the Tbird, and couldn't be happier.
I am getting up there(80 in 11 more days)and this will be my last vehicle.
If I am lucky to make it to my nineties, or longer, this car will be my last.
I just like it so well, that there isn't another car I would rather have.

There are tons of these Corvette's for sale, and many have low miles because they are not driven in the winter in the places that get snow.
You might want to give it some thought.

Bob.
Attached Thumbnails
What "classic" might you recommend?-vette-park.jpg  

Old 01-06-2019, 09:50 PM

1,258 posts, read 1,252,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
I always loved the '64 Chevy Malibu.
The two cars I own that fit your criteria are a 1964 Chevelle SS convertible and a 1974 Corvette roadster. I'm 6'4" myself and have plenty of room in both of them. Easy to work on, too, at least from my perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or