Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 12:43 PM

1,261 posts, read 567,099 times

Advertisements

I own a 2014 Benz CLA 250 that has only 36,000 miles. I’m moving to Sweden/Europe end of the summer and was planning on shipping and taking the car there.

Does anyone know if it’s worth it? Will the car work in Europe fine including filling up gas, any service/repair (if needed) etc.? I don’t wanna take the car there if it’s not gonna work properly. Should be the same system hopefully. Also anyone know any shipping containers worth to look at for approximate cost?

Thanks for reponds.

Old 01-04-2019, 12:45 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
On the one hand, it's an international brand well supported in Europe, although I don't know specifically how well in Sweden or whatever city you're moving to.

OTOH, it's a current-model car you can easily replace, and I'd bet that when all the homework, accounting and effort is added up, you'd be better off selling it here and buying something new and simple-to-own there.

Just as a WAG, knowing how finicky the Scandinavian countries are, as an import it could end up in a special registration and tax class and cost more per year in money and hassle than a local buy, and be harder to sell for a fair price.

Old 01-04-2019, 01:00 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Sell the car and buy one over there.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
Sell the car and buy one over there.
Why you think so?

Old 01-04-2019, 02:47 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
There might be equipment on the US-marketed car that isn't permissible where you are moving to. Best to check ahead of time. I think I'd check resale values both here and abroad to see whether it would make the most sense to sell it here and buy a comparable one there. Check against shipping cost.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
On the one hand, it's an international brand well supported in Europe, although I don't know specifically how well in Sweden or whatever city you're moving to.

OTOH, it's a current-model car you can easily replace, and I'd bet that when all the homework, accounting and effort is added up, you'd be better off selling it here and buying something new and simple-to-own there.

Just as a WAG, knowing how finicky the Scandinavian countries are, as an import it could end up in a special registration and tax class and cost more per year in money and hassle than a local buy, and be harder to sell for a fair price.
Thing is I only bought the car for $21K, and with currency exchange and value I will never get the price of same car in Sweden as they will basically be 25% more expensive. I was told that if I owned the car for a year I don’t have to pay for toll or whatever that cost is to ship.

Old 01-04-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
There might be equipment on the US-marketed car that isn't permissible where you are moving to. Best to check ahead of time. I think I'd check resale values both here and abroad to see whether it would make the most sense to sell it here and buy a comparable one there. Check against shipping cost.
I will ask my friends/family in Sweden to check with local Benz dealers whether my car will work in Europe or not and the rules/regulations. It may be easy to ship without too much change.
My Benz dealer wasn’t sure but they said many people shipped cars from US to Europe.

Old 01-04-2019, 03:00 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,247,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
Why you think so?
https://www.a1autotransport.com/ship-car-to-sweden/

It's not cheap to ship a car and it takes awhile to get there.
Then there are all the other hoops that will almost certainly have to be jumped through.

It might be a worthwhile endeavor for someone whose time has no value.
It takes very little time to sell a car and buy another.

Quote:
My Benz dealer wasn’t sure but they said many people shipped cars from US to Europe.
They probably weren't CLAs.

Old 01-04-2019, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
https://www.a1autotransport.com/ship-car-to-sweden/

It's not cheap to ship a car and it takes awhile to get there.
Then there are all the other hoops that will almost certainly have to be jumped through.

It might be a worthwhile endeavor for someone whose time has no value.
It takes very little time to sell a car and buy another.

They probably weren't CLAs.
What’s wrong with CLA?

I qualify for tax free due to having a car for more than a year and plan on staying permanently in Sweden. I looked it up.

Old 01-04-2019, 04:31 PM

17,301 posts, read 12,228,591 times
It will work fine. They're all built in Hungary whether they are US or EU spec so parts shouldn't be an issue.

We shipped over our Acura Legend to Germany back in the day...but that was for a military assignment and thus not subject to the same rules.

Looks relatively straight forward for Sweden.
https://www.transportstyrelsen.se/en...art-to-finish/

And yeah with the costs of cars being much higher there this could definitely be worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive