U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:49 AM

3,169 posts, read 851,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
Sure.

I guess a bed and towing capacity are not what make a pickup truck a truck then, but rather a pickup is any vehicle that has a transverse engine, H frame, rear wheel drive, a solid axle and leaf springs?

Personally I don't give a crap how it gets it done, it does what other trucks (in its class) do but better. Maybe we don't need pickups anymore if "CUVs with beds" do pickup-things better than pickups.
That will never happen lol. Look around you what do you see most on the road the F150 is the best selling vehicle in the USA lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM

408 posts, read 314,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
That will never happen lol. Look around you what do you see most on the road the F150 is the best selling vehicle in the USA lol.
In all fairness the f150 is only the best selling truck in America because of fleet sales. The new Ram is making ground to take over that spot and I bet itís already there minus the flleet inflation. They are all truly great trucks. Just depends on needs and brand you prefer.

Old Yesterday, 12:05 PM

14,156 posts, read 9,007,254 times
I would go with a Frontier before I go with a Ridgeline.

ps

Scratch that. The MSRP is $42K. NOWAY I'd pay that much for a Ridgeline. Maybe millennials who pay $2500 a month for a studio are the intended suckers.

Old Yesterday, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
What does the Ridgeline do “better” than a Tacoma, Frontier, or Colorado?
Get 22 mpg, ride much better , and hold its value. Tacoma resell is crazy but the ridgeline is up there with it. Nissan and Chevy don’t stand a stance in that category.

Old Yesterday, 01:01 PM

3,169 posts, read 851,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Familyman6 View Post
In all fairness the f150 is only the best selling truck in America because of fleet sales. The new Ram is making ground to take over that spot and I bet it’s already there minus the flleet inflation. They are all truly great trucks. Just depends on needs and brand you prefer.
The F150 has been the best selling vehicle in America fo 40 years The automaker sold more than 450,000 of its F-series line — one every 35 seconds — from January through June of 2018 That's 4.2 percent more than in the first half of 2004, when it set an annual record of 939,511 it’s not just because of fleet sales.

Old Yesterday, 01:10 PM

273 posts, read 64,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
What does the Ridgeline do “better” than a Tacoma, Frontier, or Colorado?

Ridgeline isn't offered in as many configurations as the others, but in the narrow band which it is, it wins in most objective metrics.

Against other crew cabs:

-Best fuel economy
-Fastest 0-60
-Best ride quality (fully independent all around)
-Best stopping distance
-Quietest cab
-Composite bed is lightweight and doesn't rust
-Has under-bed storage
-Highest payload
-Equal tow rating

You can get a Colorado diesel which will return slightly better economy, albeit at ~20% higher fuel costs. The Ridgeline doesn't tow as much as the Colorado or Tacoma in their top-towing configurations, but when those trucks are similar equipped the Ridgeline is competitive. There's no regular cab option, and no long bed option since it's a unibody. The vast majority of truck buyers get crew cab shortbeds though.

My info on these might be out of date for some points but they were true when it was new. Many looked at these points and dismissed them saying, "but it doesn't have an H-frame so it isn't a truck". I suppose that it doesn't have a brake controller option is pretty damning, but I would not recommend a mid-size for towing more than 5000lbs anyway, even if on paper they can.

Looking at the Colorado it appears the current iteration has more driver legroom than the Ridgeline, which I imagine is very welcome for taller drivers. Call it what you like, but the Ridgeline is at the very least a solid choice.

Old Yesterday, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
The F150 has been the best selling vehicle in America fo 40 years The automaker sold more than 450,000 of its F-series line — one every 35 seconds — from January through June of 2018 That's 4.2 percent more than in the first half of 2004, when it set an annual record of 939,511 it’s not just because of fleet sales.
I don’t disagree that they sell a lot of trucks but I would like to see this marketing ploy without the fleet sales included in those spaces numbers. Ford sells the most fleet trucks than the others combined. I’m not bashing ford by any means. I think they are great and designed very well but I am not a fan of the soda can bed material and the electrical issues they have dealt with lately.

Last edited by Familyman6; Yesterday at 03:57 PM..

Old Yesterday, 03:54 PM

6,352 posts, read 3,426,674 times
Quote:
My coworkers have expressed very loud opinions about the Ridgeline being called a "truck". They all own Chevy / GMC / Ford trucks.

Their issues with calling it a truck are that it has front-biased AWD rather than a fixed rear axle with leaf springs, and that it's a reinforced unibody rather than body-on-frame. Both of these design choices make the Ridgeline more comfortable, faster, and handle better. And guess what? The towing capacity is actually competitive with other mid-sized trucks if you look at similarly optioned vehicles from competitors.

Frankly so long as someone doesn't need the towing capacity of a full sized truck, I have no idea why a Ridgeline wouldn't be top of their list.

Because it's FWD/AWD and unibody, unlike real trucks.

Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM

273 posts, read 64,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Because it's FWD/AWD and unibody, unlike real trucks.
Functionally, what's the difference? I mean, aside from better ride quality, handling and acceleration.

Old Yesterday, 04:06 PM

6,352 posts, read 3,426,674 times
Quote:
Functionally, what's the difference? I mean, aside from better ride quality, handling and acceleration.

You are not going to take a Ridgeline to all the places I take my Chevy Silverado. And you're not going to tow what I can. Normally, you aren't supposed to use a weight distribution hitch with a unibody, but it seems Honda has made an exception. It's still not a good idea. In short, a Ridgeline is not a truck and will never be able to handle all the duties of one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive