U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 04:47 PM

21,904 posts, read 26,742,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Over complicate much?
I'm from Georgia but one of my sons lived in Michigan for a few years. The "Michigan left" works quite well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 05:16 PM

3,210 posts, read 860,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
I'm from Georgia but one of my sons lived in Michigan for a few years. The "Michigan left" works quite well.

Old 01-06-2019, 05:57 PM

7,793 posts, read 13,036,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
I cannot believe how many people don't seem to be able to see the obvious. I picked your example because of the stupidity shown by a police officer.

It is very simple: A green light in a turn lane means you are free to turn at any time. There is no traffic allowed in the opposite direction. Their light is red. A yellow flashing arrow tells you that you can turn, but use caution (yellow) because traffic coming in the other lanes have a green light.

It isn't that difficult.
Nope...
When you feel the need to be condescending it's best to be sure you are right.
A solid green light when turning left does not mean you have the right of way.
For left turning drivers, the flashing yellow arrow means the same thing as a circular green light.

Last edited by kelly237; 01-06-2019 at 06:06 PM..

Old 01-06-2019, 06:20 PM

201 posts, read 179,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Nope...
When you feel the need to be condescending it's best to be sure you are right.
A solid green light when turning left does not mean you have the right of way.
For left turning drivers, the flashing yellow arrow means the same thing as a circular green light.

Old 01-06-2019, 06:23 PM

We've been getting the flashing yellows here at newer intersections, and they have the accompanying sign.

I have a love/hate relationship for left on green/flashing yellow. In some instances, they do save time and waiting, because there are many instances where there is plenty of opening to make a turn safely.

On the other hand, I hate them when the view of the oncoming traffic is blocked by cars in an opposite oncoming turn lane, but cars behind you start honking. It's not safe to pull out and I don't care if you're in a hurry, I'm not pulling out when I can't see!

A bigger issue I have is the timing of the green arrow. In some instances there is just not enough time given to turn without having to sit through another light. This is usually the case at intersections that have no left on red.

Another issue I have is when the right lane is used both to go straight or make a right on red. You can be sitting at the light waiting for it to turn so you can go straight, but people get annoyed because they want to make a right turn on red, so they start honking.

Old 01-06-2019, 06:32 PM

157 posts, read 131,119 times
Where I live we have quite a few of the flashing yellow left turn lights. The rate of accidents at those intersections has risen significantly. Every day, there is at least one accident, usually more at a flashing yellow intersection. There is always a failure to yield ticket issued to the left turning driver. I think the yellow flashing light is the most dangerous type ever instituted. I personally will not try to make a left turn at one. Most people seem to think they "can make it through" before the oncoming car gets to the intersection. I see too many losing this game of chicken.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:10 PM

255 posts, read 87,104 times
I actually find the yellow flashing left turn lights to be a major irritation because every d-bag behind you thinks that as it is yellow not red you should go even into the tightest of windows. It's basically the same situation as on right turns where it's allowed to do it on a red light..and some people will actually get angry if you let pedestrians cross the road before making the turn. It's always easy to honk and gesture if it's not your car, health and/or freedom on the line.

This concept probably works in rural areas with light traffic but in dense urban and suburban traffic like here in NoVa where loads of people drive like a-holes it's kind of asking for trouble.

Old 01-06-2019, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
I actually find the yellow flashing left turn lights to be a major irritation because every d-bag behind you thinks that as it is yellow not red you should go even into the tightest of windows. It's basically the same situation as on right turns where it's allowed to do it on a red light..and some people will actually get angry if you let pedestrians cross the road before making the turn. It's always easy to honk and gesture if it's not your car, health and/or freedom on the line.

This concept probably works in rural areas with light traffic but in dense urban and suburban traffic like here in NoVa where loads of people drive like a-holes it's kind of asking for trouble.
I fully agree, and this is one of the reasons I try to avoid right on reds, and intersections that allow turning left without a green arrow.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:48 PM

8,320 posts, read 4,009,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
The flashing yellow is fine for roads with low traffic volume or during periods of low traffic volume on busier roads that only have two lanes need to be crossed. Green is needed on busy roads to initially allow vehicles to clear the turn lane freely (The odds of someone deciding to attempt something wreckless increase by every few seconds they are forced to wait). The red is needed at busy intersections.

Some roads/intersections are busy during certain times of day and not during others. There is no reason the lights can't use variable traffic-sensitive cycles to provide yellows when traffic is light and red/green when it is not.

Old 01-06-2019, 08:51 PM

8,320 posts, read 4,009,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
I agree with you in theory, but in reality there are too many clueless drivers on the road for it not to be a hazard to driver's that actually get in a car to drive. Too many texting, playing with GPS, dealing with children, eating, putting on warpaint, etc.

What does this have to do with whether a turn signal is flashing yellow or red/green?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or