Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 07:54 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Traffic has to "flow" on those cross-streets, as well.

As for the original topic, no. But, then I'm biased by having totaled a car when a truck with his landscape trailer made a turn right in front of me at a permissive light.

And the more you attempt to take judgment out of the equation, the worse their judgment gets.You will never be able to control every crossing of paths. Shall we place a signal control at the end of every driveway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 07:55 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,012,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
The flashing yellow is fine for roads with low traffic volume or during periods of low traffic volume on busier roads that only have two lanes need to be crossed. Green is needed on busy roads to initially allow vehicles to clear the turn lane freely (The odds of someone deciding to attempt something wreckless increase by every few seconds they are forced to wait). The red is needed at busy intersections.
By "Green" do you mean Green Arrow??

Old 01-07-2019, 02:08 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
I've only seen and experienced ONE Michigan left turn, and I hate it.

As for flashing light during low traffic times.
I've LOVE to see more flashing yellow, flashing red signals during over night hours...say midnight to 5.am. (Hours could vary depending on location, of course.)

I do a fair amount of overnight and wee-hours-of-the-morning driving. Most times I'm the only one on the street. So who am I waiting for to cross the intersection? What am I waiting for? I'm sitting there wasting my time.

Old 01-07-2019, 07:55 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,589,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Ive noticed alot more left hand turn traffic lights are now flashing yellow, instead of the red arrow, meaning, if its safe to make the left hand turn, go ahead and do it, instead of needlessly waiting for the light to cycle and get a green arrow.

Nothing bothers me more on the road than having to sit idle for no reason whatsoever, Ive been in plenty of left hand turn lanes, where you do have to wait for the green arrow to go, and majority of the time, the whole time you are sitting there with a red arrow, they are plenty of safe opportunities to make the turn.
Outlawing all left turns, is the better solution. Go a block past an intersection, make three right turns and then go straight across the intersection.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:31 AM

5,819 posts, read 7,233,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Outlawing all left turns, is the better solution. Go a block past an intersection, make three right turns and then go straight across the intersection.
That's not a good universal solution. There are some very busy intersections that allow left turns, some from two lanes there is so much traffic. Putting all that traffic into a local neighborhood, or worse, into a corner shopping center, would create massive headaches--accidents and more.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:42 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,139,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Some roads/intersections are busy during certain times of day and not during others. There is no reason the lights can't use variable traffic-sensitive cycles to provide yellows when traffic is light and red/green when it is not.
I would guess money is probably the reason, eh?

Old 01-07-2019, 08:43 AM

2,194 posts, read 1,139,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
And the more you attempt to take judgment out of the equation, the worse their judgment gets.You will never be able to control every crossing of paths. Shall we place a signal control at the end of every driveway?
Not sure what you're trying to say. There are intersections where it works and intersections where it doesn't.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:54 AM

6,737 posts, read 4,419,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
That's not a good universal solution. There are some very busy intersections that allow left turns, some from two lanes there is so much traffic. Putting all that traffic into a local neighborhood, or worse, into a corner shopping center, would create massive headaches--accidents and more.

I guess some one missed the sarcasm that 3 rights make a left.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:33 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsuperfly View Post
Not sure what you're trying to say. There are intersections where it works and intersections where it doesn't.
It would work at almost every intersection, the only exception would be intersections where visibility is an issue, and those attempting to turn cannot see oncoming traffic, but those kinds are rare.

If drivers cannot use this basic common sense( to turn when no cars are coming), maybe we need to change the way we train drivers?!

This also could be from the old days, when there was some corruption, in relation to timing traffic control devices, so drivers waste as much fuel as possible, I know this happened to some degree.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:43 AM

949 posts, read 572,604 times
I do. What I do not like is that the city configures them that way with no warning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive