U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-04-2019, 10:56 PM
 
10,178 posts, read 2,608,321 times
Reputation: 6967

Advertisements

Ive noticed alot more left hand turn traffic lights are now flashing yellow, instead of the red arrow, meaning, if its safe to make the left hand turn, go ahead and do it, instead of needlessly waiting for the light to cycle and get a green arrow.


Nothing bothers me more on the road than having to sit idle for no reason whatsoever, Ive been in plenty of left hand turn lanes, where you do have to wait for the green arrow to go, and majority of the time, the whole time you are sitting there with a red arrow, they are plenty of safe opportunities to make the turn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-04-2019, 11:27 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
8,083 posts, read 2,824,222 times
Reputation: 12061
You should come to Colorado, where left turn road engineering is a high art... and a continuing headache at every single intersection.

We got your flashing yellows. We got directed left-turn lanes. We got left turn greens that turn yellow after a few seconds. We got it all. Too bad drivers here are too confused to make sense of it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2019, 11:59 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
3,563 posts, read 5,705,858 times
Reputation: 4225
The flashing yellow is fine for roads with low traffic volume or during periods of low traffic volume on busier roads that only have two lanes need to be crossed. Green is needed on busy roads to initially allow vehicles to clear the turn lane freely (The odds of someone deciding to attempt something wreckless increase by every few seconds they are forced to wait). The red is needed at busy intersections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2019, 07:56 AM
 
4,445 posts, read 3,490,932 times
Reputation: 5302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
You should come to Colorado, where left turn road engineering is a high art... and a continuing headache at every single intersection.

We got your flashing yellows. We got directed left-turn lanes. We got left turn greens that turn yellow after a few seconds. We got it all. Too bad drivers here are too confused to make sense of it all.
Agreed. I noticed the yellow turn signals just started showing up here recently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2019, 09:33 AM
 
2,156 posts, read 2,354,698 times
Reputation: 3103
I agree with you in theory, but in reality there are too many clueless drivers on the road for it not to be a hazard to driver's that actually get in a car to drive. Too many texting, playing with GPS, dealing with children, eating, putting on warpaint, etc.
Drive the damned car!
For most people driving is the most dangerous thing they will do all of their lives, yet they feel the need to continually add distractions to their already limited ability to navigate a motor vehicle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2019, 09:47 AM
 
11,024 posts, read 8,447,177 times
Reputation: 27749
I like the red/green left turn lights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2019, 10:02 AM
 
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
4,201 posts, read 1,251,274 times
Reputation: 3398
We have our own way for left turns.

A Michigan left is an at-grade intersection design that replaces each left turn at an intersection between a divided roadway and a secondary roadway, with the combination of a right turn followed by a U-turn, or a U-turn followed by a right turn, depending on the situation.


A Michigan Left


Who else believes all left hand turn lanes/ lights should flash yellow instead of red/green?-b9f0beb2-62cc-4e29-9591-42a20ca204eb.png
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2019, 10:40 AM
 
10,178 posts, read 2,608,321 times
Reputation: 6967
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
The flashing yellow is fine for roads with low traffic volume or during periods of low traffic volume on busier roads that only have two lanes need to be crossed. Green is needed on busy roads to initially allow vehicles to clear the turn lane freely (The odds of someone deciding to attempt something wreckless increase by every few seconds they are forced to wait). The red is needed at busy intersections.
The way the traffic lights are timed around here, even on the most busy roads, you will get big gaps when there are no cars at all. Ive noticed on these busy stretches of road, they 'time' the traffic lights so if you get one red light, you will get red lights at the next few intersections too. ITs crazy, Ive heard of timing lights so drivers get all green(to keep traffic flowing), but Ive never heard why timing drivers to get all reds is a good thing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2019, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Houston/Brenham
4,121 posts, read 4,661,323 times
Reputation: 7550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Colorado...drivers here are too confused to make sense of it all.
Hmm, wonder why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-05-2019, 01:04 PM
 
871 posts, read 215,258 times
Reputation: 1972
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
The way the traffic lights are timed around here, even on the most busy roads, you will get big gaps when there are no cars at all. Ive noticed on these busy stretches of road, they 'time' the traffic lights so if you get one red light, you will get red lights at the next few intersections too. ITs crazy, Ive heard of timing lights so drivers get all green(to keep traffic flowing), but Ive never heard why timing drivers to get all reds is a good thing to do.
Traffic has to "flow" on those cross-streets, as well.

As for the original topic, no. But, then I'm biased by having totaled a car when a truck with his landscape trailer made a turn right in front of me at a permissive light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:46 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top