U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 02:24 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,505,836 times

Advertisements

[quote=wamer27;54064649]European, Asian, and the Canadian version of American cars all have a lightbulb on the dash that turns on when lights are on. Why don't American car companies do this?[/QUOTE

Ummm….they do. I know several American cars, including two in my garage, that indicate when my headlights are on. (One Ford and one GM.)

Both my cars also turn the headlights on automatically whenever I turn the wipers on, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 02:27 PM

13,535 posts, read 12,486,765 times
As long as there is an opinion to turn off the auto setting, do not care if a car has it. But I would do my best to avoid a car that had it where you could not turn off the auto light feature, or make it near impossible to modify to do so.

Old Today, 02:29 PM

2,853 posts, read 2,674,379 times
[quote=iamweasel;54065683]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
European, Asian, and the Canadian version of American cars all have a lightbulb on the dash that turns on when lights are on. Why don't American car companies do this?[/QUOTE

Ummm….they do. I know several American cars, including two in my garage, that indicate when my headlights are on. (One Ford and one GM.)

Both my cars also turn the headlights on automatically whenever I turn the wipers on, too.
They were very late to the game. I had a Canadian 98 Jeep 5.9 limited that bulb lit up on dash and maybe lights always turned on when it was running? It also had the lights turn on with wipers. The US spec 5.9 I replaced it when the other was totaled didn't have bulb on the dash. My 2005 GMC doesn't have it.

Old Today, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
As long as there is an opinion to turn off the auto setting, do not care if a car has it. But I would do my best to avoid a car that had it where you could not turn off the auto light feature, or make it near impossible to modify to do so.
Why? You stalking somebody or a PI or something? What's the harm if your headlights are on automatically?

Old Today, 02:35 PM

4,976 posts, read 1,909,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I know a lot of drivers hate high beams in their face, but I like to be able to see where I'm going.
How awful that an oncoming driver hates being blinded by your high beams to the point they hit YOU head on.

Old Today, 02:35 PM

13,535 posts, read 12,486,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
Why? You stalking somebody or a PI or something? What's the harm if your headlights are on automatically?
If I want them off, then I want them off, not seeing the issue about it. Simply make it where you can have the switch in the auto or manual position.

There have been times, quite a few, where the car is on but want the lights off. As long as the choice is there, all good to me.

Old Today, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
If I want them off, then I want them off, not seeing the issue about it. Simply make it where you can have the switch in the auto or manual position.

There have been times, quite a few, where the car is on but want the lights off. As long as the choice is there, all good to me.
That's the point - there shouldn't be a choice - so most people don't have to worry about getting drilled by a car coming at them with no headlights. What if you went somewhere, turned your lights off for whatever reason, and then started driving again with the lights off because you forgot to flip-the-switch again. Uh-oh....that kind of thing happens all the time now.

You want them off, then turn the car off......pretty simple.

Old Today, 02:46 PM

148 posts, read 21,834 times
The real problem is that most modern cars have dashes that are illuminated all the time, not just when the lights are on, so there's no longer that cue to remind you that your lights are not on. Add in DRLs and it's even more of a problem.

My 2013 American car tells me when the lights are on with a graphic on the dash, and they are automatic (and come on with the wipers, too). My 2005 BMW lights are not automatic, but the dash is not lit unless the lights are on, so it's easy to tell, even though it DOES have DRLs.

Old Today, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
The idiots are the people who make the laws and manufacture the vehicles. It would be so simple to just have full automatic lights on all cars. They should be wired to the ignition. The only option should be high beam or low beam. And if it was up to me, it would probably be only high beam. I know a lot of drivers hate high beams in their face, but I like to be able to see where I'm going.
Drivers don't like them in their face because it blinds them temporarily as they are driving. You're being rude, and creating danger to the other drivers, if you leave your brights on all the time.

If you can't see that well with normal headlights then sounds like you need an eye exam. Or at least buy a car with auto high beams so it will toggle on & off automatically for you.

Last edited by iamweasel; Today at 02:50 PM.. Reason: typo

Old Today, 02:57 PM

1,981 posts, read 2,184,105 times
The biggest issue to me is the daytime running lights that are constantly on. Our old Subaru had this feature as do most cars today. The problem is when it gets dark the DRL headlight feature allows you to see where you are going, hence you forget to turn on the lights for nighttime driving. What is overlooked is the rear taillights are off, so you are dark from the rear. DRL's are a good thing if the rears are lit in conjunction, but they are not on most cars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or