U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:14 PM

4,165 posts, read 3,310,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
Almost everyday at dusk/night I see some cars without having the lights on (whether front or back or both) which is dangerous. I don’t understand why anyone would forget turning the lights on but why aren’t all U.S. cars equipped with “auto” on/off lights? It shouldn’t be a luxury/extra thing.
I've been noticing this a lot too. I think all cars now should have DRLs. I know there's an issue with people then not turning on their actual headlights, but I rather that than the idiots I've seen with no lights on at all driving down the freeway. If I'm lucky, I'll happen to notice a bright reflection or something.

I now have auto lights on my Civic. It's rare that I manually turn my lights on. Usually only if it's raining.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM

3,330 posts, read 4,704,558 times
I just don't understand why so many millions of drivers seem not to turn on their lights until long after sundown, when it's almost pitch-black. Nor in the rain on very cloudy days. Are they trying to save money by making their lights last longer before replacement? Isn't avoiding a fatal accident more important than that?.... I even see police cars doing this.

And I often flash my lights on and off, hoping to signal oncoming drivers that their lights are off.... But never a single time, has a dumb ass ever taken the hint. They always just continue right past me with their lights still off.

Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM

4,403 posts, read 1,644,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
How awful that an oncoming driver hates being blinded by your high beams to the point they hit YOU head on.
How awful that the oncoming driver has his dimm non LED low beam headlights on and is already struggling to see, and is still blinded by your low beam lights and runs into you, head on.

My last accident involved my driving on the highway at night in the rain. I had lots of oncoming traffic, so I was driving with my low beams, which with my stock lights is almost like driving with my lights off. All I have is about 50 feet of light directly in front of my car. Anyway I was being blinded by the oncoming lights, when I spotted the red reflectors on a trailer directly in front of me, that was stopped waiting to make a left turn. I immediately slammed on my brakes and skidded into the back of the trailer. If my high beam lights had been on, I would have easily been able to see the trailer in time to stop. Even with my lousy dimm lights I was almost able to stop in time. I was traveling slow enough that my airbags didn't even deploy.

So don't tell me about the benefits of dimming my headlights. There aren't any. Headlights are blinding. High beams, low beams, it doesn't matter. Compounding being blinded by oncoming headlights with diminished visibility due to low beam lights, is a more serious danger.

Anyway there should be some hybrid light system. A low beam left headlight combined with a high beam right headlight angled away from oncoming traffic.

Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
As long as there is an opinion to turn off the auto setting, do not care if a car has it. But I would do my best to avoid a car that had it where you could not turn off the auto light feature, or make it near impossible to modify to do so.
Why? Headlights are safety. It makes your car more visible to other drivers. Not using them is like not using your seatbelt, or disabling your airbags. Granted, there is not always a lot benefits to using them in all situations, but it's better to be safe than sorry. If headlights were automatic on all cars, the problems being discussed here wouldn't exist.

Old Yesterday, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
Drivers don't like them in their face because it blinds them temporarily as they are driving. You're being rude, and creating danger to the other drivers, if you leave your brights on all the time.

If you can't see that well with normal headlights then sounds like you need an eye exam. Or at least buy a car with auto high beams so it will toggle on & off automatically for you.
It's not my eyesight. My eyesight is just fine when my high beams are on. I can see the road for a mile in front of me. When my low beams are on I can see less than 50 feet in front of me, and I can't see the sides of the road at all. And I drive on roads with heavy traffic so I rarely get to use my high beams. Yes I know I should get bright LED headlights like everybody else, but my car needs other things first. So I do the best I can.

Old Yesterday, 03:53 PM

148 posts, read 22,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Why? Headlights are safety. It makes your car more visible to other drivers. Not using them is like not using your seatbelt, or disabling your airbags. Granted, there is not always a lot benefits to using them in all situations, but it's better to be safe than sorry. If headlights were automatic on all cars, the problems being discussed here wouldn't exist.

There are many situations where you want the car to run, but not have the headlights on. Approching a military base checkpoint for example, or at a drive in movie theater. Both of those exist and are used by a LOT of people still. I know a LOT of people that work and live on military bases and have to be able to turn their headlights OFF as they approach the checkpoints (it's a legal requirement so that the guards aren't blinded or dazzled by the headlights as the car approaches). And that's only two examples. I'm sure we can come up with many more without too much issue.

Old Yesterday, 04:11 PM

13,542 posts, read 12,497,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamweasel View Post
That's the point - there shouldn't be a choice - so most people don't have to worry about getting drilled by a car coming at them with no headlights. What if you went somewhere, turned your lights off for whatever reason, and then started driving again with the lights off because you forgot to flip-the-switch again. Uh-oh....that kind of thing happens all the time now.

You want them off, then turn the car off......pretty simple.
Never happened to me, do not even think it is an issue anyway. i rarely ever seen someone driving without their headlights on, when I do it usually is on a very lighted city street, and I live in Miami, a place with a good amount of horrible, inattentive drivers. This is like a solution looking for a problem.

As I said, let people either select the auto on, or manual mode, it is not rocket science. I should have the choice to have the lights off or on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
I just don't understand why so many millions of drivers seem not to turn on their lights until long after sundown, when it's almost pitch-black. Nor in the rain on very cloudy days. Are they trying to save money by making their lights last longer before replacement? Isn't avoiding a fatal accident more important than that?.... I even see police cars doing this.

And I often flash my lights on and off, hoping to signal oncoming drivers that their lights are off.... But never a single time, has a dumb ass ever taken the hint. They always just continue right past me with their lights still off.
Millions? How often does this occur? I have rarely ever seen it. Is there even statistics on it? probably not since it is such a small issue.

Quote:
Like I said, make it an option. There are times if I want my headlights off, then I want them off, it is not difficult to understand.

True, if headlights were on all cars, this problem would not exist, everyone would just move on to the next trivial issue to complain about.

Old Yesterday, 04:15 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,506,918 times
Quote:
It's not my eyesight. My eyesight is just fine when my high beams are on. I can see the road for a mile in front of me. When my low beams are on I can see less than 50 feet in front of me, and I can't see the sides of the road at all. And I drive on roads with heavy traffic so I rarely get to use my high beams. Yes I know I should get bright LED headlights like everybody else, but my car needs other things first. So I do the best I can.

If you are using high beams because your car's normal lights aren't working properly than that's another matter altogether. Under normal conditions, the standard headlights are good enough for nearly all drivers - even if those headlights are non HID, LED, or whatever.

As far as the accident you had, having the high beams on in that case could have made the situation even worse. (Unless your high beams actually only have a regular amount of light being projected due to your normal lights not working properly.) High beams in the rain or snow actually make it harder to see sometimes, due to the light reflecting back at the driver.

Note the last sentence in this article:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...211701664.html

Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post

They probably turn them on when it gets too dark to see. Of course we all know that is too late. But that is when most drivers are going to think about it.

Police are another matter. Their stupid stealth lights are ridiculous. I almost ran into a police car some years ago. I made a right turn onto a four lane road and immediately noticed that a police car had somebody pulled over on the right shoulder. I couldn't move over because of traffic, but the police car was well off to the side and I was going slow so I didn't worry about it. Then all of a sudden I saw another police car stopped behind the first police car, and he had his rear end sticking out into the traffic lane, with no lights on. I slammed my brakes on and stopped about three feet behind him. Then when the traffic allowed, I drove around him. When I looked in my rear view mirror I noticed that the car sticking out into traffic had all of his forward lights on, red lights, blue lights, spot lights, flashing headlights, but not even his tail lights on to the rear. I was tempted to yell out the window for him to turn is F-ing back lights on, but that wouldn't have been a good idea with a cop. If I had hit him, I'm sure I would have gotten a ticket for failing to move over, even though he didn't have any lights on, that I could see.

Old Yesterday, 04:20 PM

13,542 posts, read 12,497,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvetters63 View Post
There are many situations where you want the car to run, but not have the headlights on. Approching a military base checkpoint for example, or at a drive in movie theater. Both of those exist and are used by a LOT of people still. I know a LOT of people that work and live on military bases and have to be able to turn their headlights OFF as they approach the checkpoints (it's a legal requirement so that the guards aren't blinded or dazzled by the headlights as the car approaches). And that's only two examples. I'm sure we can come up with many more without too much issue.
Approaching gates like you mentioned

Idling for any reason somewhere, and not wanting the headlights to blast away at whatever, like letting the car warm up in front of a motel is freezing weather, and not have the lights flood into a room you are parked in front of

When we use to go off-roading at night, it was nice to shut them off and on to get a good view of stars and such, and not have to turn the car off and back on. ALso turned them off not to blind others when they approaching you, parking lights worked fine, would suck have to turn them damn car off and back on, it would be stupid.

I remember we were doing some work at night, but early evening, and some people came over from a local softball game asking if I could turn my lights off because it was blinding them, we were messing with getting a trailer with a bobcat unstuck at the worksite.

In high school we use to do the cruising thing, met in parking lots to talk, pull along side each other, did not turn car off, but lights so not aggravating others around by flooding the area with annoying lights

But mostly it is simply a matter of "because I want to", and that is really the best reason and only reason I need.

This is a trivial issue also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or