Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 10:08 AM

1,261 posts, read 561,700 times

Advertisements

Almost everyday at dusk/night I see some cars without having the lights on (whether front or back or both) which is dangerous. I don’t understand why anyone would forget turning the lights on but why aren’t all U.S. cars equipped with “auto” on/off lights? It shouldn’t be a luxury/extra thing.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:23 AM

6,429 posts, read 6,968,478 times
All my last 4 vehicles have had them, dating back to a 98, but you have to manually set them to auto.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:42 AM

24,301 posts, read 16,977,085 times
In my state of Mass. we have a new law that states if your wipers are on your lights also have to be on. In many cases it is not dark enough during a rain storm during the day so yes your daytime running lights will be on but your rear lights will not be so you have to turn all the lights on manually.

We have a 2017 Jeep and the daytime running lights are so bright that they are like headlights at night. When we first got it my wife was followed home by a good neighbor that told her the back lights were not working, she had forgotten to put the lights on auto or turned them on manually.

I can see people being confused that their lights are on when they are actually not.

Old 01-05-2019, 10:59 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,717,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
Almost everyday at dusk/night I see some cars without having the lights on (whether front or back or both) which is dangerous. I don’t understand why anyone would forget turning the lights on but why aren’t all U.S. cars equipped with “auto” on/off lights? It shouldn’t be a luxury/extra thing.

I see it all the time here in Florida, some idiot driving along after dark, with no lights on the front or back. Just the other night, I tried to signal a driver that his lights were off, and he was driving a BLACK car, so it was totally dark, and he just kept on driving along, oblivious.

Now that cars have daytime driving lights, some people mistake thinking their headlights and tail lights are on.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:09 AM

855 posts, read 851,067 times
I've noticed it a lot more in recent years and I think it's because of the auto on/off lights feature. People have gotten careless and don't think about their lights anymore. You have to turn the auto on/off feature on for it to work. If it gets turned off it is very easy to overlook and it can be hard to notice if driving in a well lighted area.

Old 01-05-2019, 11:10 AM

6,429 posts, read 6,968,478 times
European, Asian, and the Canadian version of American cars all have a lightbulb on the dash that turns on when lights are on. Why don't American car companies do this?

Old 01-05-2019, 11:21 AM

505 posts, read 838,975 times
Idiots around here run the gamut. I see people driving with no lights on, only DRLs on, and pinheads with the brights on. How hard is it to use your headlights correctly?

Old 01-05-2019, 12:04 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,525,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
European, Asian, and the Canadian version of American cars all have a lightbulb on the dash that turns on when lights are on. Why don't American car companies do this?
2008 Sorento has one. 2003 Maxima has one. There is a setting for the Sorento that turns the lights on when you start it. My headlights and fog lights come one. Always.

Old 01-05-2019, 12:40 PM

15,216 posts, read 8,823,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmann View Post
Yeah, I agree it's dumb. I can leave my CD player on and when I start the car up again, it will play right from where it left off. But if I try to leave my lights on I get a beep, beep, beep, telling me to turn them off. It's like they are deliberately trying to make it difficult to drive safe.

I live in an area where daylight headlight use is required. So it's pretty automatic for me to turn my lights on when I start the ignition. Just like putting my seatbelt on. But when I get on the highway, I always double check by trying to turn the switch anyway, to make sure they are on. No matter how careful I am about turning my lights on, once in awhile it clicks, and I realize I didn't have them on.

I wish there was some easy hack to have my lights automatically come on when I start the ignition.

Old 01-05-2019, 12:52 PM

15,216 posts, read 8,823,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclasser View Post
Idiots around here run the gamut. I see people driving with no lights on, only DRLs on, and pinheads with the brights on. How hard is it to use your headlights correctly?
The idiots are the people who make the laws and manufacture the vehicles. It would be so simple to just have full automatic lights on all cars. They should be wired to the ignition. The only option should be high beam or low beam. And if it was up to me, it would probably be only high beam. I know a lot of drivers hate high beams in their face, but I like to be able to see where I'm going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive