U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2019, 12:05 PM

16,608 posts, read 10,193,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Romano View Post
It DOES make a difference in my experience. Not only that, but when you drive the lighter car will cool off a little faster.

I had a maroon car in Southern California. I have not purchased a dark color since...

I had a dark grey Frontier for a couple years and six years later I bought a white Frontier. You could feel there was less heat coming from the roof and the white truck cooled off faster in warm weather.

There is also the fact that darker colors fade more quickly. You see so many white cars here in Florida for a reason.

My ex had a Buick with a red leather interior. I got in one hot day with shorts on, and jumped back out immediately. The upholstery was too hot to sit on.

My one car is satin black, but it is a roadster, with a white interior, so it is ok in the heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2019, 12:36 PM

14,965 posts, read 19,110,441 times
What gets hotter?
black seats made out of cotton or white seats made out of leather?

You can paint the car any color, it's still made out of metal

Old 01-07-2019, 12:48 PM

6,603 posts, read 18,181,653 times
Color of a car is important depending on what part of the country they reside in.
Overall sun works good and/or bad to the North or South.
So Calif loves Blk or Red ...eats both.
I have a green car with blk headliner that gets warm to the touch when in the sun.
Bought a late model Dk Blue that soaks in the sun and warms car interior. Thanx to a climate control car cools down.
Recent new neighbor from Detroit bought a Blk PU with paint coming off the hood and recently bought a new Hybrid also Blk.....he is a hard learner.
We are both in Mexico south of the border overlooking the beach.
For me, my primory concern is Rust so keep my cars inside the garage.
Salt and Sun are killers to a degree.
When in traffic, check out the dark color cars.......that would be your answer.

Old 01-07-2019, 03:49 PM

7,344 posts, read 5,470,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
If youre moving here it aint going to matter what color car you have. Its going to get hot.
^^This.^^

Old 01-07-2019, 05:27 PM

1,158 posts, read 725,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
What gets hotter?
black seats made out of cotton or white seats made out of leather?

You can paint the car any color, it's still made out of metal
Ummmmm...okay...

Let's just summarize it this way. The coolest combination is a white car with white cloth seats.

Old 01-07-2019, 05:32 PM

314 posts, read 99,620 times
I lived in Arizona. Dark cars get hotter. Leather gets hotter no matter what color it is. Same with fake leather. You can move with your car but I guarantee when you sell/ trade it in you won't be getting another black car even if it has a white interior.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:18 PM

7,433 posts, read 3,070,758 times
My last car was magnetic grey. Too hot and delicate paint job. Little scratches all over. Just got a white suv and hope it works out better for me than the dark colors. Good luck.

Old 01-07-2019, 08:51 PM

1,284 posts, read 1,509,681 times
Let me clear up a few misconceptions on that topic:

1) Darker colors do not fade worse than lighter colors anymore, because most new vehicles have basecoat paint as opposed to the single stage paint that older cars used to have. Single stage paint did fade, though.

2) Cloth will stay cooler than leather when parked in the sun - every time. (So yes, black cloth is better than white leather in that regard.)

3) As far as exterior paint color/sheetmetal temps, in the grand scheme of things it really doesn't matter. A black car left in the sun in 100+ degree temps will initially get hotter faster than a white car if you have your hand on the paint, but within a matter of minutes they will both be about the same temperature. They are both metal, after all.

4) The interior air temperature of the cars will be about the same no matter what, and no matter how long they are out there. Yes, the leather seat may feel a little hotter to the touch, but if you hang a thermostat a foot below the dome light on the roof you'll see that air temperature is about the same.

These are not opinions of mine, I have seen actual test results on this from an OEM. It's all a myth....just like those who think driving their pickups with the tailgate down helps with wind resistance. NO....it doesn't!

Old 01-07-2019, 09:22 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,802,490 times
black car with black cloth interior. it gets hotter and takes longer to cool down, but the cloth seats makes it bearable.

Old 01-07-2019, 09:33 PM

1,858 posts, read 746,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_MI View Post
Possibly moving to the southeast U.S. in the future, SC to be exact. I own a black car with a light, "ivory" colored cloth interior. Ceramic window tint all around except the windshield, and I use a windshield sunshade.

Anyone regret a black car that lives in a hot climate?

Or is it not that bad?

Starting to wish I went with white, but I bought it before I knew about moving.
Black car in the heat and sun of Florida? Never. Iíve seen a ton of black and dark red cars here totally faded out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or