U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:49 AM

1,595 posts, read 3,063,808 times

Advertisements

I drive my 2006 Ford Escape a couple of times a week, maybe 10 miles per day, with occasional longer trips. The average is less than 3000 miles per year. The owner's manual specifies oil changes at every 5000 miles or 6 months, whichever is earlier. In my case, with the low miles driven, do I still need to change oil every 6 months, or can I extend the interval by a couple more months?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:08 AM

5,122 posts, read 9,252,193 times
Ide go with what the owners manual recommends. An oil change is cheap insurance.

Old Yesterday, 07:12 AM

707 posts, read 1,253,467 times
As a disclaimer, its hard to argue with the manufacturers recommendation, they built the car, we didn't.

That said, reviewing a ton of oil analysis on the Bob site, it seems pretty reasonable to extend that almost up to a year, as long as you really do take the occasional longer trip. If you never get the oil at temp for a while, it will break down quicker. Personally, in your scenario, I would feel pretty good going another few months. While in most cases I would feel good going to a year, or even longer, I'm not as comfortable I would in your case.

The only low mileage good condition car oil analysis I've seen that looked bad after a year was one that was short trips only.

Old Yesterday, 07:54 AM

3,197 posts, read 856,576 times
Do what the owners manual says lik op said they built the vehicle so they know better than us.

Old Yesterday, 09:29 AM

1,083 posts, read 338,234 times
If you intend to keep the car a while, just change it every 6 months. If you're not planning to keep it more than a year or two, I would change it yearly.

Old Yesterday, 09:45 AM

4,976 posts, read 5,063,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
If you intend to keep the car a while, just change it every 6 months. If you're not planning to keep it more than a year or two, I would change it yearly.
Bestest advice.

Old Yesterday, 10:51 AM

9,008 posts, read 9,326,456 times
The reason why you want to avoid letting old oil sit in the engine for longer than recommended is that the oil tends to accumulate carbon contaminates from combustion, as well as fuel residues and moisture from the crankcase that tend to form acids in the oil. This acid can have a detrimental effect on bearings and bushings over time. Short drives (like what you do) can accelerate this effect as they don't allow the oil to get hot enough to drive off some of the contaminates.

My recommendation is to do what the manufacturer recommends.

Old Yesterday, 10:54 AM

122 posts, read 20,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28lt1 View Post
As a disclaimer, its hard to argue with the manufacturers recommendation, they built the car, we didn't.

That said, reviewing a ton of oil analysis on the Bob site, it seems pretty reasonable to extend that almost up to a year, as long as you really do take the occasional longer trip. If you never get the oil at temp for a while, it will break down quicker. Personally, in your scenario, I would feel pretty good going another few months. While in most cases I would feel good going to a year, or even longer, I'm not as comfortable I would in your case.

The only low mileage good condition car oil analysis I've seen that looked bad after a year was one that was short trips only.
That site has frequently questionable information, usually from a fringe group of people that like seeing what their car can do/take. And not just on oil. It's like a big experiment. Just a quick interjection.

Old Yesterday, 10:58 AM

4,477 posts, read 2,263,889 times
I would err on the side of being conservative. Change the oil at least as frequently as the owner’s manual says. Even if you don’t plan to keep the car forever, you might have to keep it longer than expected.

The cheapskate advice that reeks of “Screw the next owner” is one reason why I stopped buying used vehicles a long time ago.

Old Yesterday, 11:08 AM

1,145 posts, read 721,489 times
Oil changes are cheap insurance...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or