U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2019, 07:50 AM

25,279 posts, read 60,641,117 times

Advertisements

I thought this thread would be about the propensity for white cars to turn out in front of you and then go slow. I cannot say I have paid attention to that recently, but when I was a new driver, I became convinced that is what the drivers of white cars always did. Probably no statistical support for that, but it happened to me so frequently it is ingrained in my psyche. '
'

Maybe you are on to something. Maybe women drive white cars and women turn out in front of you and the go really slow. . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2019, 08:09 AM

164 posts, read 54,049 times
That's not true. White cars are cheaper than the ones with other paint. I drive white car because it was cheaper than the red one i wanted. So i decided to get the cheap paint, but invest in equipment.

White cars are mostly bought and used as a company cars - again, because they are cheaper than the rest. Maybe we, women, like the white color in general - but when it comes to the cars we drive, most of the time the motive behind our "white color" is financial.

Old 01-08-2019, 10:43 AM
Status: "Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis" (set 19 days ago)

3,611 posts, read 2,956,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
last time I looked, I was male. I only buy white cars. At present, I have a white Acura RDX and a white Tacoma. In the past, had white CRV, white Four runner, white Avalon, white Dodge Ram and others.
Nice. My best pal prefers white cars, with a white huge Chevrolet 1-ton and a couple smaller vehicles, plus his motorcycle.

I prefer black, but recently moved back to bubblegum colors on some vehicles, mostly those that are a bit carefree and sporty. I save the metal, black, etc. for workhorse vehicles like my Tacoma X-Runner.

The Lamborghini crowd on one forum was going ape____ about eight years ago over "Balloon White" Murcielagos and (possibly) Gallardos, predecessor cars to the Aventador and Huracan, respt. Google a Murci in that color, you'll see it's a striking white for-sure, pearl finish, but I found the entire discussion vapid in the extreme. End of the day, who gives a crap?

(More money than sense, that crowd, with about the same emotional maturity (that of a sixth grader). The type who either pays cash, or has their dad pay cash, then blows the clutch in about 6k miles from too many 600hp burnouts. Off she goes for white glove service and $12K, including $3K throwout bearing plus the clutch pack. I figure most are just very big kids playing with very expensive marbles...or crayons.)

Colors are entirely subjective, end of story. Were I crazed enough to purchase a used 'Murci, always an outside possibility, I'd be thrilled to drive it in Bianco Isis (the "other" white) to Arancio Ishtar (orange-red) or anything in between, right?

Last edited by Blondebaerde; 01-08-2019 at 11:39 AM..

Old 01-08-2019, 11:10 AM

1,010 posts, read 960,848 times
The last 5 used vehicles I've acquired were not judged based on the color of their paint, but rather the price, likelihood of reliability, and proximity. We ended up with 4 white cars and 1 black truck.

1) 2004, I bought a white 01 VW Golf TDI GLS with manual transmission and 80K miles in a neighboring state.

2) 2012, I bought a white 07 Lexus Rx400h with 80K miles in that same neighboring state.

3) 2015, I acquired my late-uncle's black 06 Chevy Duramax with 180K miles.

4) 2017, I bought a white 2013 Fiat 500e with 24K miles in an adjacent city.

5) 2019, I bought a white 2014 Tesla Model S 85 with 59K miles in that same neighboring state.

There are certain colors I would avoid to purchase, but all of our white cars happened to be a coincidence. The sale price and features were too hard to pass up. Dark paints oxidize a lot faster in the sun, attract more solar gain during a hot day, and don't hide dirt or scratches as well as lighter colors.

Old 01-08-2019, 11:46 AM
Status: "Postatem obscuri lateris nescitis" (set 19 days ago)

3,611 posts, read 2,956,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
The last 5 used vehicles I've acquired were not judged based on the color of their paint, but rather the price, likelihood of reliability, and proximity. We ended up with 4 white cars and 1 black truck.

(snip)

There are certain colors I would avoid to purchase, but all of our white cars happened to be a coincidence. The sale price and features were too hard to pass up. Dark paints oxidize a lot faster in the sun, attract more solar gain during a hot day, and don't hide dirt or scratches as well as lighter colors.
Isn't that the truth. I figure a car/truck in a truly unusual color is that much harder to sell in five years or whenever the note is paid off, for those who rotate cars as I mostly do.

Exotics are outliers, let's just say a car I'm fond of...a race car for the street...actually looks just that much wilder in Ultra Violet (deep purple) or a lighter green, mint finish. The car can hardly get more gaudy, they figure. They look good in white, too, come to think of it!

I'm stunned to see black cars in the south, not sure why one would do this w/o a real sense of adventure.

In Africa the other year, South Africa and Namibia specifically, there pretty much were few-to-no dark colored vehicles outside the small cities (only a few cities in the whole country). Just for giggles, I popped into the "local" Toyota dealer and among their modest inventory, you cold have any Hilux or Land Cruiser you wanted...as long as it was white or desert sand / khaki. Oh, and diesel.

Old 01-08-2019, 12:05 PM

2,658 posts, read 1,903,942 times
If this comes out right this is a picture of my white car
Attached Thumbnails
White Cars-cadi-left-front.jpg  

Old 01-08-2019, 12:30 PM

397 posts, read 119,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
If this comes out right this is a picture of my white car
Nice ride ! Best of luck with it .

Old 01-08-2019, 02:07 PM

10,149 posts, read 10,812,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
Most work trucks are white...
That has not been my experience. Up here in Vermont most of the work pickups I see are black or gray, dark blue, or dark green. It may be different with vans and box trucks.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:15 PM

25,279 posts, read 60,641,117 times
A lot of work truck are white so the logo will stand out. Superintendent or higher up level trucks often do not have the company logo on them. Our upper level people get to pick their trucks and options from an available list. Pretty much none of them pick white that i have seen. Most are black.

Old 01-08-2019, 07:11 PM

3,423 posts, read 1,626,284 times
I have a white Honda CRV.

I'm in Texas, it's hotter here and white cars stay a smidgen cooler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or