U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:30 AM

13,926 posts, read 5,501,537 times

Advertisements

I remember Sinclair stations in New York back in the 1960's. Apparently when BP bought out the East Coast iteration of the brand, another entity, I believe ARCO or Atlantic Richfield continued to use the name out West. The Amoco brand disappeared (except one Midwest station to preserve the trade name) when BP acquired them.

About a year ago, a Sinclair station popped up in Port Chester, using the old "Dino" graphics. It had been operating as a Valero. And a Gulf Station changed over to Amoco in Pelham, New York.

Any one else see this phenomena? Any other examples?

I started a similar thread on revival of food and drink brands, Necro-Ing/Revival Of Food and Drink Brands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:38 AM

32,694 posts, read 40,104,146 times
Can't say I have here. Citgo is the dominant "name" in my area. Exxon has almost totally left the market, Shell and BP each have a few stations but not many, like two each. The grocery chains, however, have gas stations attached to almost all of their stores selling no brand gas.

Old Yesterday, 07:02 AM

2,866 posts, read 1,044,454 times
BP, British Petrolrum, took over Amoco, American Oil Company, but the American ==> British was not a part of their image campaign.

The famous Citgo sign outside Fenway Park used to be Cities Service from 1940-1965.

http://fenwayparkdiaries.com/fenway%20park%20(30b).jpg

Last edited by cebuan; Yesterday at 07:13 AM..

Old Yesterday, 07:24 AM

3,210 posts, read 860,019 times
It’s speedway in my area in fact speedway took over all Heiss stations in the Tampa Florida area. We also have plenty of Kroger and meijer stations also.

Old Yesterday, 12:22 PM

3,778 posts, read 1,962,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I remember Sinclair stations in New York back in the 1960's. Apparently when BP bought out the East Coast iteration of the brand, another entity, I believe ARCO or Atlantic Richfield continued to use the name out West. The Amoco brand disappeared (except one Midwest station to preserve the trade name) when BP acquired them.

About a year ago, a Sinclair station popped up in Port Chester, using the old "Dino" graphics. It had been operating as a Valero. And a Gulf Station changed over to Amoco in Pelham, New York.

Any one else see this phenomena? Any other examples?

I started a similar thread on revival of food and drink brands, Necro-Ing/Revival Of Food and Drink Brands.
Sinclair as a brand never went away. Even under the ownership of ARCO, the name was used in the Midwest and the brand was divested in the east to satisfy anti-trust regulators. Sinclair has announced that it is planning on opening/rebranding 200 locations in the northeast over the next few years.

I stumbled across that Sinclair in Port Chester and was surprised by it. Per their website, there are about 10 units in NY, NJ, and CT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Itís speedway in my area in fact speedway took over all Heiss stations in the Tampa Florida area. We also have plenty of Kroger and meijer stations also.
Speedway bought the retail operation of Hess a few years back and the latter wanted to get out of retail.

Old Yesterday, 10:21 PM

20 posts, read 10,097 times
I saw Sinclair stations all over Eastern Oregon when I visited for the 2017 eclipse. I don't know how long they've been there, but the dino-signs generally looked newer.

Old Yesterday, 10:26 PM

354 posts, read 350,531 times
In Minnesota there are a few old Sinclair stations still hanging on, not many though. A few years ago I remember reading in our tiny local paper about a Sinclair that was planning to tear down and rebuild their store and double their size in the process. I thought that was kind of neat to hear since there are so few Sinclair stations around. That turned out not to be the case though, because when they re-opened they did so as a "Holiday" gas station. Holiday is a large local chain around here.

Another large local chain was called "SuperAmerica", but they were recently snatched up by Speedway, and are in the process of converting over right now.

Old Today, 02:04 AM

2,866 posts, read 1,044,454 times
In the 50's, as I recall, alll stations were branded with a name associated with a refining company. America then underwent a major marketing change, an example of which was a bunch of Wisco-99 stations in Milwaukee, the beginning of the modern convenience store. Holiday appeared a few years later, even selling clothing and hardware. However, in the rural south, there was also the famous Billups chain, launched in the 1940s by a Mississippi coffee company.

Old Today, 02:28 AM

2,312 posts, read 2,000,340 times
Mobil, Arco, Chevron, 76, and Shell are king in SoCal.

Old Today, 09:02 AM

13,926 posts, read 5,501,537 times
Mobil (part of Exxon-Mobil, formerly Socony or Standard Oil Company of New York), Shell, Sunoco, Gulf (really Cumberland Farms) and to a lesser extent Speedway are king in Westchester County, New York. Conoco has made a notable appearance, and Valero has more or less exited the market. There are still Valeros in nearby parts of New Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive