U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 12:25 PM

2,648 posts, read 1,539,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taksan View Post
Believe it or not F250ís are highly sought after in many European countries and they love the big Turbo diesels ...
in Australia people pay $200k for a Raptor !
I was actually stationed in Germany for 9 years. Germans would offer ridiculous amounts of money for US SUVs and trucks. I knew guys who would buy a new vehicle prior to PCS and sell it in Germany. Could make upwards of $15-$20K.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 02:09 PM

2,913 posts, read 2,709,540 times
Kinda like a friend of mine who was born in northern Iraq and last year shipped used Dodge Chargers non stop to his client in Iraq who had a dealership. Friend has a dealer license and an export company. They've been sending American cars and sh*tloads of GM engines from here to their junkyard they own there.

Old 01-21-2019, 08:17 PM

113 posts, read 18,464 times
I have a friend who exports late model ex rental and off lease mustangs, Camaros, Vettes, challengers and every kind of truck and big traditional SUV ....to Asia, Russia and Eastern Europe.
Niche business you think? He’s sends over 2000 vehicles a month !

Old 01-21-2019, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taksan View Post
I have a friend who exports late model ex rental and off lease mustangs, Camaros, Vettes, challengers and every kind of truck and big traditional SUV ....to Asia, Russia and Eastern Europe.
Niche business you think? Heís sends over 2000 vehicles a month !
Wow! How many sea containers is that??? The shipping cost alone is $10k minimum per container and months it takes to get there. The the tough part is making sure the contacts can be trusted. My friend uses their money to buy cars and ship. Then he gets $1k per car. I looked at costs to ship from whichever Manheim he bought from and instead of that, me flying to that city, picking car up and driving it back and make a trip out of it last winter and be paid the shipping costs.

Old 01-22-2019, 12:35 AM

1,895 posts, read 798,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Wow! How many sea containers is that??? The shipping cost alone is $10k minimum per container and months it takes to get there. The the tough part is making sure the contacts can be trusted. My friend uses their money to buy cars and ship. Then he gets $1k per car. I looked at costs to ship from whichever Manheim he bought from and instead of that, me flying to that city, picking car up and driving it back and make a trip out of it last winter and be paid the shipping costs.
Depends. I can ship a car from NY to Reykjavik for less than $3k, including insurance, paperwork, etc. I shipped a Land Cruiser from Seattle to South Africa for $5k so not sure where your $10k number comes from. Depending on the port shipped from, to, and the route, it take 3-6 weeks from driving it into the container to clearing customs.

Old 01-22-2019, 05:54 AM

113 posts, read 18,464 times
Quote:
What containers? In commercial quantities cars are shipped out on dodo (drive on drive off) ships ... usually the same ones the ship cars here from Europe and Asia.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:12 AM

13,992 posts, read 30,111,635 times
My sister called me a few days ago looking for recommendations on a slightly used 3 row CUV. She likes the Acadia but I can’t find any info that says GM ever fixed the timing chain issues with the 3.6 engine. The only thing I could even think to recommend was the Highlander.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:23 AM

2,082 posts, read 490,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
Depends. I can ship a car from NY to Reykjavik for less than $3k, including insurance, paperwork, etc. I shipped a Land Cruiser from Seattle to South Africa for $5k so not sure where your $10k number comes from. Depending on the port shipped from, to, and the route, it take 3-6 weeks from driving it into the container to clearing customs.
Maybe thatís what he was quoted from a ďbuddyĒ trying to make a profit!

Old 01-22-2019, 07:30 AM

2,082 posts, read 490,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
My sister called me a few days ago looking for recommendations on a slightly used 3 row CUV. She likes the Acadia but I canít find any info that says GM ever fixed the timing chain issues with the 3.6 engine. The only thing I could even think to recommend was the Highlander.
Quote:
Porsche profited $4.8b on only selling 246,375 vehicles in 2017. GM sold 9.6m vehicles in 2017
Thatís an average of $19k per auto. Not sure whether top line or bottom line profit but Iím curious if the brand makes any money off of service, or if thatís just for the local dealerís money.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
He always mentioned it was about $10k to ship entire container full of cars and engines to Kurdistan from Mpls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or