U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-09-2019, 12:29 PM
 
Location: MN
2,890 posts, read 2,694,683 times
Reputation: 2269

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Thatís your right i donít think GM is going to miss you.
Someone who currently has 7 units of one brand is not an average customer. How many other GM purchases have they made in their lifetime? I bet a ton, these are the customers GM should be going out of their way for. This person brings way more money to the company then the average customer. Have you ever owned your own company?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-09-2019, 12:51 PM
 
Location: D.C.
1,983 posts, read 1,653,241 times
Reputation: 3149
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Hers a list of companies bailed out by the federal government in 2008 908 companies.

https://projects.propublica.org/bailout/list/index
On this aspect, there are FAR more on that list that were essentially TOLD to take the money, than those who actually needed it. TARP was as much about a power grab by the US Treasury Department for the financial sector, as it was about saving probably 10% of that list from bankruptcy. It's no coincidence that shortly after it was pushed out into the private sector, that good old Fat Barney and his buddy Dud Dodd rolled out their new legislation/regulation packages, which made it so difficult for the credit markets to return to serve probably 95% of the US general population, that we were stuck in a recessionary loop for nearly 8 years...

I know for a fact that several of those institutions tried to give that money back almost immediately and were TOLD to keep it longer. I know for a fact that S&P went on a ratings hit list tour and started down grading investment firms just because they could, not because it was warranted. It happened to one that I was working at at that time. Said because we had hotel/resort loans on our books, we were in trouble, regardless of the FACT that they were performing FAR better than originally underwritten to perform (and to this day, posted 0.0% problems for the company). When we barked about it, they said "well, you will have trouble, so we're downgrading you now just because. That trouble never arrived.

But only two manufacturers on there, the rest are financial services firms.

I'm off the "beat up GM" bandwagon here. I think a recent Scotty Kilmore youtube video speaks what I feel as well in regards to GM. I wish them luck and hope they can get/keep their own house in order. If they can't, then I say let them follow down the path of Sears next time. Besides, we're the USA, we don't manufacture anymore, we just consume. Capitalism (debt) is what we're the best at in a global economy. The world doesn't want us to make/sell anything, they want us to buy their crap instead. Have to admit, some of it is quite good, far better than what we've produced to compete against it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2019, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
25,331 posts, read 60,690,032 times
Reputation: 28074
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Someone who currently has 7 units of one brand is not an average customer. How many other GM purchases have they made in their lifetime? I bet a ton, these are the customers GM should be going out of their way for. This person brings way more money to the company then the average customer. Have you ever owned your own company?
Such special customers are rare so they bring in maybe $200,000,000 a year to GM.

Average customers bring in $1.8 billion.

Which one are they going to cater to? Special customers may bring in more per customer, but there are relatively few of them. GM does not care about how much per person a type of customer brings int he door, they car about the bottom line.

1.8 billion is more than 200 million. Therefore average customers are more important to GM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2019, 03:31 PM
 
Location: MN
2,890 posts, read 2,694,683 times
Reputation: 2269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Such special customers are rare so they bring in maybe $200,000,000 a year to GM.

Average customers bring in $1.8 billion.

Which one are they going to cater to? Special customers may bring in more per customer, but there are relatively few of them. GM does not care about how much per person a type of customer brings int he door, they car about the bottom line.

1.8 billion is more than 200 million. Therefore average customers are more important to GM.
True, but when the special customers start leaving, it's never good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2019, 04:03 PM
 
2,002 posts, read 466,983 times
Reputation: 2275
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
I agree.

The Japanese and Germans will sell all the sedans they want.
Because your average owner of a Lexus LS 460 or an MB S 63 AMG is not going to be hauling his 70" television home in his own car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2019, 05:50 PM
 
Location: Alaska
2,649 posts, read 2,364,935 times
Reputation: 4438
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Just tell that to the millions of others who bought a pickup or suv or cuv they want what they want this is America we’re we can drive what we want and now the American people have spoken by buying SUVs and pickups and CUV’s and the American automakers have responded. They have been around a long time so they know the automotive business better than any of us on here.
Stop blathering this nonsense.

The truth is very different.

Americans are responding to their conditioning.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...p_h7T5FeNbVJMo

https://bamideas.com/news/2017-08-10...pickup-trucks/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2019, 06:59 PM
 
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
3,262 posts, read 878,124 times
Reputation: 2690
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Stop blathering this nonsense.

The truth is very different.

Americans are responding to their conditioning.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...p_h7T5FeNbVJMo

https://bamideas.com/news/2017-08-10...pickup-trucks/
If you say so it’s been like that for everything you buy vehicles no different.

Last edited by easy62; 01-09-2019 at 07:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-09-2019, 07:15 PM
 
Location: San Ramon, Seattle, Anchorage, Reykjavik
1,873 posts, read 787,941 times
Reputation: 2560
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Stop blathering this nonsense.

The truth is very different.

Americans are responding to their conditioning.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...p_h7T5FeNbVJMo

https://bamideas.com/news/2017-08-10...pickup-trucks/
That's been the truth for 100 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2019, 07:38 AM
 
2,543 posts, read 3,128,607 times
Reputation: 4956
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
That’s your right i don’t think GM is going to miss you.
I won't miss them either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Someone who currently has 7 units of one brand is not an average customer. How many other GM purchases have they made in their lifetime? I bet a ton, these are the customers GM should be going out of their way for. This person brings way more money to the company then the average customer. Have you ever owned your own company?
I guess I should add that one of my businesses is used cars so I have first hand knowledge on a wide range of makes and models of cars. I also own a business that requires service trucks and vans and we put a ton of miles on them and find the problems quickly. Far sooner than the average consumer. I have also bought new and personally owned many, many GM vehicles over the years. So many I have lost count and would have to think for a while to come close to counting them all. I have had or do have everything from their sedans, camaros (so many camaros and z28's I can't count them all), a corvette, small suv's, full size suv's and many trucks. I also maintain and work on them myself so I have hands on knowledge and know quality when I see it. So when I say GM is back to building junk, I know what I am talking about. I am telling everyone that their cars and now the 1/2 ton line of trucks and suv's are unreliable, cheap part laden, piles of overpriced crap. I know first hand because I bought a couple of them new and started having all the problems and they are unfixable because you replace the crap parts with new crap parts because they are a cheap unreliable design.

If you buy a couple of $52,000 trucks and the A/C goes out on both before you have 40,000 miles on them and the entire system has to be replaced, multiple electronic parts in the interior have to be replaced, the window switches keep going bad and having to be replaced, the freaking transmission has hard parts break and send metal through the entire transmission requiring a new transmission be installed, it has lifter failures because of the completely idiotic "active fuel management" system that deactivates cylinders by locking the lifters resulting in their failure and also destroying the camshaft, the electric steering randomly quits working and you can even pull out of a parking space, some crazy heater control solenoid goes bad, and on and on, it is pretty safe to say they are piles of complete junk. I sold my newer ones and replaced them with older, low mileage models that were built prior to GM going super cheap and loading them with poorly designed "technology."

Last edited by dijkstra; 01-10-2019 at 08:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2019, 09:25 AM
 
Location: MN
2,890 posts, read 2,694,683 times
Reputation: 2269
[quote=dijkstra;54108279]I won't miss them either.



I guess I should add that one of my businesses is used cars so I have first hand knowledge on a wide range of makes and models of cars. I also own a business that requires service trucks and vans and we put a ton of miles on them and find the problems quickly. Far sooner than the average consumer. I have also bought new and personally owned many, many GM vehicles over the years. So many I have lost count and would have to think for a while to come close to counting them all. I have had or do have everything from their sedans, camaros (so many camaros and z28's I can't count them all), a corvette, small suv's, full size suv's and many trucks. I also maintain and work on them myself so I have hands on knowledge and know quality when I see it. So when I say GM is back to building junk, I know what I am talking about. I am telling everyone that their cars and now the 1/2 ton line of trucks and suv's are unreliable, cheap part laden, piles of overpriced crap. I know first hand because I bought a couple of them new and started having all the problems and they are unfixable because you replace the crap parts with new crap parts because they are a cheap unreliable design.

If you buy a couple of $52,000 trucks and the A/C goes out on both before you have 40,000 miles on them and the entire system has to be replaced, multiple electronic parts in the interior have to be replaced, the window switches keep going bad and having to be replaced, the freaking transmission has hard parts break and send metal through the entire transmission requiring a new transmission be installed, it has lifter failures because of the completely idiotic "active fuel management" system that deactivates cylinders by locking the lifters resulting in their failure and also destroying the camshaft, the electric steering randomly quits working and you can even pull out of a parking space, some crazy heater control solenoid goes bad, and on and on, it is pretty safe to say they are piles of complete junk. I sold my newer ones and replaced them with older, low mileage models that were built prior to GM going super cheap and loading them with poorly designed "technology."/QUOTE]

I know someone who's had to replace lifters 3 times in less then a year. First two times each side was done separately. Third time, caused by low oil. Was told later he should be putting more oil then what the book says.

What year did they choose the chincy route?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top