U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 08:14 AM
 
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
3,210 posts, read 860,019 times
Reputation: 2617

Advertisements

This is why GM is downsizing the number of sedans it makes.

General Motors 4thQ report: U.S. crossover sales topped 1 million in 2018
https://www.clickondetroit.com/autom...illion-in-2018
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 02:52 PM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC
315 posts, read 114,184 times
Reputation: 661
Definitely a given why they're reducing sedans, but yippee more bloated, boring CUVs :/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:00 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
4,478 posts, read 1,494,455 times
Reputation: 6443
I don't think there's anyone who argues the ascendancy of trucky-cars over car-cars. The automotive industry has always been high on fads and whims.

But cutting all such models because they only sell a few million instances a year and imagining that absolutely everyone wants a trucky-car now is going to precipitate absolute disaster in a couple of years, when US makers have absolutely no stylish car-cars to feed that shift of the whims and can't give their trucky-cars away. Holy 1975, Batman...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:02 PM
 
Location: Vermont
277 posts, read 65,849 times
Reputation: 531
People aren't buying sedans, but dealers also aren't advertising them and are even pushing people away from them. As an example not long ago I went to a Toyota dealer to sit in the new Prius (out of curiosity) and not only did they claim to not know anything about it, but they were annoyingly persistent about their idea that I really wouldn't like a Prius anyway and would be much happier in a RAV4.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:05 PM
 
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
3,210 posts, read 860,019 times
Reputation: 2617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I don't think there's anyone who argues the ascendancy of trucky-cars over car-cars. The automotive industry has always been high on fads and whims.

But cutting all such models because they only sell a few million instances a year and imagining that absolutely everyone wants a trucky-car now is going to precipitate absolute disaster in a couple of years, when US makers have absolutely no stylish car-cars to feed that shift of the whims and can't give their trucky-cars away. Holy 1975, Batman...
They can’t afford to keep a assembly plant open to make a vehicle that’s not selling enough to pay the wages, and taxes, and utilities. If needed they can convert a plant to make a sedan in a short amount of time. Right now they have to many plants and not enough sedans selling to maintain them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:06 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
4,478 posts, read 1,494,455 times
Reputation: 6443
Most car-cars, especially sedans, have lower margins than upstyled trucky-cars and hybrids and truck-trucks. No surprise you got steered to something that would make the salesman more than $200 for his time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM
 
Location: Metro Detroit Michigan
3,210 posts, read 860,019 times
Reputation: 2617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Most car-cars, especially sedans, have lower margins than upstyled trucky-cars and hybrids and truck-trucks. No surprise you got steered to something that would make the salesman more than $200 for his time.
Just tell that to the millions of others who bought a pickup or suv or cuv they want what they want this is America were we can drive what we want and now the American people have spoken by buying SUVs and pickups and CUVs and the American automakers have responded. They have been around a long time so they know the automotive business better than any of us on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:05 PM
 
Location: San Ramon, Seattle, Anchorage, Reykjavik
1,855 posts, read 778,403 times
Reputation: 2535
Quote:
Originally Posted by EckyX View Post
People aren't buying sedans, but dealers also aren't advertising them and are even pushing people away from them. As an example not long ago I went to a Toyota dealer to sit in the new Prius (out of curiosity) and not only did they claim to not know anything about it, but they were annoyingly persistent about their idea that I really wouldn't like a Prius anyway and would be much happier in a RAV4.
They've done that to me as well. Although their cars are great, many Toyota dealers are terrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:06 PM
 
Location: San Ramon, Seattle, Anchorage, Reykjavik
1,855 posts, read 778,403 times
Reputation: 2535
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Just tell that to the millions of others who bought a pickup or suv or cuv they want what they want this is America were we can drive what we want and now the American people have spoken by buying SUVs and pickups and CUVs and the American automakers have responded. They have been around a long time so they know the automotive business better than any of us on here.
We'll see. They weren't exactly geniuses just a decade ago. But I don't care. I have zero inclination to buy anything they sell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 04:27 PM
 
Location: Fuquay Varina
4,273 posts, read 6,308,042 times
Reputation: 10194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
We'll see. They weren't exactly geniuses just a decade ago. But I don't care. I have zero inclination to buy anything they sell.
I agree.

The Japanese and Germans will sell all the sedans they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top