U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2019, 07:50 AM

9,056 posts, read 16,061,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Dealership said the shop that replaced my battery used the wrong type and that the post werenít correct. Said the post connections were loose. Replaced battery with Hyundai approved battery (expensive!) and wife picked it up while I slept getting ready for my night shift. She went shopping and there were no more stalling problems.
So who replaced the original battery? Did the dealership call you up and say "Somebody put the wrong battery in this car, do you want to take it back to them and have them make it right?" before going ahead and changing it?

Your car takes a group 47 battery, which isn't a style that every shop is going to have right there on the rack but also isn't so uncommon that the local auto parts store wouldn't have one. I'm an Interstate dealer, the 47 retails about $25-$30 higher than the more common styles, and of course anything is going to be higher through a dealership than through a parts store or independent garage. But "Hyundai approved" is just a line of crap.

I assume you'd owned the car over three years before the battery was changed? If not it would have been covered under warranty.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 08:17 AM

5,797 posts, read 6,642,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
All this soul searching because of a stall that is being repaired under warranty? You just want a new car.
Stalling out on a busy road is no fun, and I would be extra irritated if it was on such a new car. But yeah, in the end if it's being fixed for free...it would take quite a few more problems for me to get annoyed enough to ditch it.

Old 01-09-2019, 08:34 AM

9,237 posts, read 7,689,463 times
Update. Happened again this morning. Drive to work is only 8 miles. No problem. Drive home took a bit longer due to school traffic. Five minutes after getting home I drove sister-in-law to her job about five miles away. When it stopped to let her out the RPMs dropped to around 500 before shutting down. Restarted the car and drove home. Twice on the way home when I came to a full and complete stop the RPMs dropped and the engine shut off. When I got home the RPMs stayed above 500 and did not shut off. Will document and research before bringing it back to the dealership. They charged me over $260 for the battery and it appears this was t the problem.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:24 AM
miu

16,862 posts, read 33,957,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I have a 2015 Hyundai Elantr SE with 1.8L engine. Was experiencing stalling when I came to a stop Saturday. Brought it to dealership for warranty repair. While itís at the shop I started looking up issues with this model Elantra. Some of what Iíve found has me worried about the car including a tapping that ultimately results in an entire engine replacement. Iím a mild mannered driver so performance isnít an issue for me. Checked the local Toyota dealership and they have 2019 Corolla for as low as $17000 with automatic transmission. Though the styling isnít exactly what I like, Iím considering it for three reasons. 1. Last year of this generation, 2. History of reliability, and 3. Roomy interior for its class. Iíd like to get as close to my current monthly payments as possible even if that means sacrificing some features I wanted with my Elantra. So what if I donít get alloy rims, no fog lights, and no stereo controls on the steering wheel. Iím hoping to at least get wiper delay and cruise control.
1. You can add the alloy rims later on and keep the steelies for a set of snow tires.
2. Fog lights can be added on later also.
3. You don't need to have stereo controls on your steering wheel.

Old 01-09-2019, 09:44 AM

7,889 posts, read 11,546,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
I wouldn't think a class action lawsuit filed by 15 people in 7 different states constitutes a defective paint process. The courts dismissed the suit without cause.
It's not all about the class-action lawsuit. But speaking of which, I suppose you think it was just a coincidental happenstance that shortly after the lawsuit was filed, Hyundai changed the paint process to eliminate the issue that was causing the problem.

Old 01-10-2019, 05:31 PM

Update. While I was sleeping (working 11pm-7am shift) the dealership came and took the car along with the letter detailing the problem. The bastards are teasing me now. They gave me a loaner, a 2017 Hyundai Elantra GT in red. I had wanted the GT but because of the price difference and the options I would have lost to get it within my price range I went with the sedan.

Old 01-10-2019, 06:46 PM

Looked up the information. 2.0L Nu engine with 173 hp. Reduced fuel economy, higher performance. Has about 10,000 more miles than my 2015. Features it doesn’t have that is on the Elantra I bought includes fog lights and uplevel from base stereo (not a big change as it’s not the top line stereo. Will be driving it for the first time tonight on the way to work. Driving controls are all the same. Heating/cooling controls are a little different. Cruise control buttons are exactly the same. Tires are Bridgestone low rolling resistance tires (didn’t catch the exact model).

The dealership was able to reproduce my stalling problem but it doesn’t give them a fault code so they’re blind as to the exact cause.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:16 PM

790 posts, read 283,306 times
I’d wonder about the alternator failing.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:41 PM

2,030 posts, read 2,221,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
It's not all about the class-action lawsuit. But speaking of which, I suppose you think it was just a coincidental happenstance that shortly after the lawsuit was filed, Hyundai changed the paint process to eliminate the issue that was causing the problem.
I suppose you also think it was a happenstance that the suit was dismissed without cause.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:09 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,173,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Your car takes a group 47 battery, which isn't a style that every shop is going to have right there on the rack but also isn't so uncommon that the local auto parts store wouldn't have one. I'm an Interstate dealer, the 47 retails about $25-$30 higher than the more common styles, and of course anything is going to be higher through a dealership than through a parts store or independent garage. But "Hyundai approved" is just a line of crap.

No kidding. When the battery was going in my 2013 Sonata, I bought a replacement battery at Auto Zone. They even installed it for free and recycled my old battery. I never gave a second's thought about taking it to the dealership.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or