U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:12 AM

9,112 posts, read 7,583,587 times

Advertisements

I have a 2015 Hyundai Elantr SE with 1.8L engine. Was experiencing stalling when I came to a stop Saturday. Brought it to dealership for warranty repair. While itís at the shop I started looking up issues with this model Elantra. Some of what Iíve found has me worried about the car including a tapping that ultimately results in an entire engine replacement. Iím a mild mannered driver so performance isnít an issue for me. Checked the local Toyota dealership and they have 2019 Corolla for as low as $17000 with automatic transmission. Though the styling isnít exactly what I like, Iím considering it for three reasons. 1. Last year of this generation, 2. History of reliability, and 3. Roomy interior for its class. Iíd like to get as close to my current monthly payments as possible even if that means sacrificing some features I wanted with my Elantra. So what if I donít get alloy rims, no fog lights, and no stereo controls on the steering wheel. Iím hoping to at least get wiper delay and cruise control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:34 AM

13,930 posts, read 30,000,780 times
Elantras with the 1.8 had some issues with the cylinder coatings coming off, but I’m not sure if that was corrected before 2015 or not. There was also some issues with oil getting sucked into the cylinders during full throttle, which would make a huge plume of smoke when passing someone.

Did you buy this car new or used? If you bought it new you should have the 100k powertrain warranty, and I’d be tempted to ride it on out to the end. Who knows, you may get a new engine.

If you bought it used your warranty will be over at 60k miles, which is a little more risky.

Old Yesterday, 09:38 AM

9,112 posts, read 7,583,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Elantras with the 1.8 had some issues with the cylinder coatings coming off, but Iím not sure if that was corrected before 2015 or not. There was also some issues with oil getting sucked into the cylinders during full throttle, which would make a huge plume of smoke when passing someone.

Did you buy this car new or used? If you bought it new you should have the 100k powertrain warranty, and Iíd be tempted to ride it on out to the end. Who knows, you may get a new engine.

If you bought it used your warranty will be over at 60k miles, which is a little more risky.
Bought new in 2015. Iím gentle on the throttle except for the occasional highway on ramp or passing a tractor or slow car.

Old Yesterday, 09:48 AM

8,971 posts, read 15,930,491 times
Buyer's remorse is something you get after three days, not three years. What you have is called "Wondering if I should trade before I start having problems."

Old Yesterday, 09:49 AM

13,930 posts, read 30,000,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Bought new in 2015. Iím gentle on the throttle except for the occasional highway on ramp or passing a tractor or slow car.
Iíd be tempted to keep it towards the end of the warranty. At least the 1.8 in the Elantra will generally give some warning when itís going bad, unlike the 2.4/2.0T in the Sonata that can just seize up unexpectedly.

Old Yesterday, 09:53 AM

6,348 posts, read 3,510,651 times
Don't let the squeaky wheels on forums freak you out. I'd ride it out until 9.9 years/99k. Worst case scenario you end up with a brand new engine for free.

Old Yesterday, 10:36 AM

1,984 posts, read 2,188,585 times
We have two Elantra's in the family. One is the 2.0 and the other is the 1.8. the 2.0 has 130K on it and still running strong. The 1.8 has 78k and also still strong. I think sometimes it's a crap shoot with cars regardless of the brand. We change the oil regularly in both cars and follow service schedules. Both are driven by son's that I believe drive them like they stole them.
On the other hand, we once had a Honda that was adult driven, the motor began using oil at 40K and the transmission crapped out at 50K. Honda eventually reimbursed us for replacement, but it took almost a year. We've owned 7 Honda's and that was the only one with issues.

Drive'em until they drop or until you want a new one.

Old Yesterday, 10:49 AM

1,100 posts, read 341,498 times
I would keep what you have and not worry about it.

Old Yesterday, 11:01 AM

10,406 posts, read 7,464,093 times
I would be more concerned about a 3 year old car stalling then if I should have bought the Toyota.

What is going on with the stalling?

I would keep the Hyundai for several more years if it has been a decent car for you and worry about the engine issues when and IF they should happen.

Old Yesterday, 11:17 AM

5,123 posts, read 4,394,769 times
As long as you have warrantee left, what's the big deal? Get it repaired at no cost, possibly get a new engine...awesome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or