U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 09:46 PM

4,554 posts, read 1,506,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Remember, the Very Last American Convertible was built in 1975.
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
you know that Buick has a convertible sedan itís the 2019 Buick Cascada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
The Chrysler 200 was convertible as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
And the Cadillac Allante, and the PT Cruiser and the 2004 Ford Thunderbird and the 2006 Chevrolet SSR.
Oh my gosh... you mean the special-edition 1976 Eldorado "Last American Convertible" wasn't the last, um, American convertible?

Imagine that. I sure hope there's no big scramble for The Last American Sedan in a year or so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 07:20 AM

2,517 posts, read 3,120,232 times
Automotive fads change every few years so you can't bet on anything other than it will in fact change. At some point we will have some sort of oil crisis again, gas prices will shoot up and all of the sudden smaller cars and fuel efficient sedans will start selling like crazy once again.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:01 AM

667 posts, read 293,100 times
Quote:
I know it's a stretch, but sedan sales are down across the board including in the luxury auto market. However, there may be one glimmer of hope who might that be? Tesla, Tesla model 3 sales were more than any luxury vehicles including SUVs. The model 3 sold double the amount of vehicles as the next luxury sedan.

https://electrek.co/2019/01/09/tesla...um-vehicle-us/
For obvious reasons, SUVís are much more practical for most people including families and individuals as well.
They provide much easier access than sedans since they are higher,slightly boxier and more convenient to load your stuff into. Weekly groceries, kid and family apparatus, home improvement supplies for the house and even single people who bike or kayak usually prefer an SUV/hatchback type vehicle instead of a normal sedan.
Your also seeing lots of manufacturers building luxury SUVís since the demand is there at all price ranges.

Sedans will never be totally done away with, however the shift has occurred due to practically and the automakers are responding to the demand. There are even various vehicle sizes with in the SUV body type, with 2 or 4 door option models and hatchback vs automatic rear door on the typical SUV. Trailer hitches are also more common to easily accommodate bicycles or other outdoor equipment.

Personally, I love SUVís and would never go back to a sedan which I havenít owned for many years.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:45 AM

850 posts, read 658,606 times
Sedan sales are down because they have gotten boring (crossover SUVs are boring also but a change from someone moving from a sedan). All the makers of these sedans all look the same now, with a Front wheel drive and same interior configuration, the only difference is the badge on the front of the car.

The only sedan left to enjoy were the BMW 3-series with rear wheel drive and a manual option, however the new 3-series coming out this year doesnt have the manual option. Personally not sure what I'm going to do next but choices of fun and enthusiast cars have diminished.

Old 01-10-2019, 10:55 AM

9,575 posts, read 11,482,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Or, you can do what I did:
Search for a sedan, and luckily run across a 1966 Chevrolet Chevell 4 door sedan. It is a 6 cylinder, automatic, looks pretty good and runs good. Fun to drive, too!
No computers!
I'm happy with it.
If I want to tow with it, I can put a V8 in it with very little trouble.
If I want to go to Costco with it, the trunk has nearly "three body" space. Maybe even "4 body" space. I haven't tried it. Yet.
A 53 yr old Chevy can't be fun to drive with 2 extra doors and missing 2 more cylinders!

I'd bet the kid at the local Pep Boys can diagnose a problem using a laptop in less than 5 minutes. Think that same kid has ever tuned a carburetor and could he do it in less than 5 minutes? How about setting the timing?

Computers aren't always a bad thing......

Old 01-10-2019, 12:59 PM

1,896 posts, read 452,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Or, you can do what I did:
Search for a sedan, and luckily run across a 1966 Chevrolet Chevell 4 door sedan. It is a 6 cylinder, automatic, looks pretty good and runs good. Fun to drive, too!
No computers!
I'm happy with it.
If I want to tow with it, I can put a V8 in it with very little trouble.
If I want to go to Costco with it, the trunk has nearly "three body" space. Maybe even "4 body" space. I haven't tried it. Yet.
No computers are great for an enthusiast who hates computers. For the average driver not interested in the car, just the transportation, I'd recommend some modern systems that automatically adjust timing, air/fuel mixture, traction control, self-leveling headlights, and anti-lock brakes - for those whose first reaction to everything is to slam on the brakes.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:36 PM

4,554 posts, read 1,506,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstra View Post
Automotive fads change every few years so you can't bet on anything other than it will in fact change. At some point we will have some sort of oil crisis again, gas prices will shoot up and all of the sudden smaller cars and fuel efficient sedans will start selling like crazy once again.
It's even simpler than that, as CUVs and XOs get mileage near that of those car things no one wants.

It's just a styling fad, and the endless portentious arguments that "families want efficiency and convenience and yadda yadda" is nothing more than redirected marketing spew. When the fad for trucklike style passes, it's likely to return to "boring sedan and car" styling of some kind - smooth, sleek, whatever speaks "modern," and free of endless plastic extension parts.

Anyone who even pretends to know automotive history should know this; everyone else can just do a fast slideshow shuffle of postwar car styles and see the cycles. Or, because they sleep in their gay-roj with their F-150, be convinced that there will be no American vehicles except pick'em'ups in another year or two, because any fool can see the trend.

Me, I'm waiting for an F-150 with fins. They've already got dagmars.

Old 01-10-2019, 04:44 PM

2,418 posts, read 1,337,252 times
My automotive tastes have changed slightly over the years... I was always about the latest technology and performance. That meant AWD systems that got increasingly better, turbocharged engines to give more power with less displacement, overhead cams, active suspension, etc.

But now... I wonder. Not many cars are offered with a manual anymore, and the ones that are, the DCT version is undoubtedly faster. But lots of people miss rowing through the gears as part of the experience.

Sedans still serve a purpose for me, as they offer a better driving experience than an SUV or a crossover, while adding more utility than a 2 door can give. I think we'll have sedans for a long time still, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the number of offerings getting smaller. BMW for example, used to have a pretty simple lineup, with the 3, 5, and 7 series. Now, they've had a 1 series, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and upcoming 8 series again.

The good sedans that are popular now will remain, and the rest will fade away and be replaced by some crossover or SUV.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:19 PM

12,019 posts, read 7,996,216 times
Quote:
I know it's a stretch, but sedan sales are down across the board including in the luxury auto market. However, there may be one glimmer of hope who might that be? Tesla, Tesla model 3 sales were more than any luxury vehicles including SUVs. The model 3 sold double the amount of vehicles as the next luxury sedan.

https://electrek.co/2019/01/09/tesla...um-vehicle-us/
The only reason people are jumping in to buy it because of the full tax rebate for 2018. Now Tesla is lowing the prices this year because the rebate is cut in 1/2 this year. Most of the people who buys a Tesla also own another car so it is not their own car. You'll be stupid if Tesla is your only car and expect to make a long trip.

Old 01-10-2019, 07:42 PM

667 posts, read 293,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
My automotive tastes have changed slightly over the years... I was always about the latest technology and performance. That meant AWD systems that got increasingly better, turbocharged engines to give more power with less displacement, overhead cams, active suspension, etc.

But now... I wonder. Not many cars are offered with a manual anymore, and the ones that are, the DCT version is undoubtedly faster. But lots of people miss rowing through the gears as part of the experience.

Sedans still serve a purpose for me, as they offer a better driving experience than an SUV or a crossover, while adding more utility than a 2 door can give. I think we'll have sedans for a long time still, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the number of offerings getting smaller. BMW for example, used to have a pretty simple lineup, with the 3, 5, and 7 series. Now, they've had a 1 series, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and upcoming 8 series again.

The good sedans that are popular now will remain, and the rest will fade away and be replaced by some crossover or SUV.
All that you stated is very true and personally I think it’s really bad that a standard transmissions are going by the wayside. Even Audio has dropped its manual transmission in several of its Sport edition models, although some are available if ordered from the factory.

Driving an automatic transmission in a Corvette,Porsche,etc would be like operating a golf cart, in my opinion and I would have zero interest in owning one of those vehicles. I love having the total power control with the gears and a clutch rather than paddle shifters, IMO. I wonder how many drivers today could even drive a standard, probably not many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or