Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 02:28 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,891,073 times

Advertisements

I know it's a stretch, but sedan sales are down across the board including in the luxury auto market. However, there may be one glimmer of hope who might that be? Tesla, Tesla model 3 sales were more than any luxury vehicles including SUVs. The model 3 sold double the amount of vehicles as the next luxury sedan.

https://electrek.co/2019/01/09/tesla...um-vehicle-us/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2019, 04:05 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,750,398 times
Body style/function/configuration and motive power are two completely separate things. We will have ICE vehicles of all kinds for at least the next decade, and a rising tide of EVs of all types across the same time frame.

It is a huge mistake to use a one-off, oddball make or model like Tesla or the Model 3 as a meaningful harbinger of much of anything.

Trucky-cars for car-cars is a fad and a whim, and when taste swings back away from little pretendy truck-car-UVs, the makers dropping those lines are going to be in a world of hurt. And piteously looking for bailouts, yet again.

Remember, the Very Last American Convertible was built in 1975.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:13 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,430,946 times
Sedans to me have never served a purpose beyond transportation from A to B. You can't load much in them and have them pull double duty as a hauler.

Hatchbacks to me are the perfect combo - sedan like in handling, MPG and ride plus the ability to flip seats down and carry awkward sized items. Add a trailer hitch and you can tow a small 4x8 and carry oversized things like plywood, furniture, etc. more easily than a pickup.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:16 PM

6,734 posts, read 4,412,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
I know it's a stretch, but sedan sales are down across the board including in the luxury auto market. However, there may be one glimmer of hope who might that be? Tesla, Tesla model 3 sales were more than any luxury vehicles including SUVs. The model 3 sold double the amount of vehicles as the next luxury sedan.

https://electrek.co/2019/01/09/tesla...um-vehicle-us/

There will always be a large percentage of people that buy into new fads, or niche objects. Only to regret it later. I never buy a new model vehicle or motorcycle. There are always bugs to be worked out, or p**s poor designs to begin with, or with EV vehicles like Tesla, more battery technology. They are still at the crawling stage.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:29 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,745,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Body style/function/configuration and motive power are two completely separate things. We will have ICE vehicles of all kinds for at least the next decade, and a rising tide of EVs of all types across the same time frame.

It is a huge mistake to use a one-off, oddball make or model like Tesla or the Model 3 as a meaningful harbinger of much of anything.

Trucky-cars for car-cars is a fad and a whim, and when taste swings back away from little pretendy truck-car-UVs, the makers dropping those lines are going to be in a world of hurt. And piteously looking for bailouts, yet again.

^This. Much like their gasoline counterparts, EV SUVs will require more energy to move the vehicle because of aerodynamics and weight. Sedans are the lightest bodystyle and will have longer range and shorter charge times. Range and charge times are priority over vehicle capacity for EVs right now. Eventually, Tesla will have to market more SUVs.

Old 01-09-2019, 04:35 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,965,657 times
Or, you can do what I did:
Search for a sedan, and luckily run across a 1966 Chevrolet Chevell 4 door sedan. It is a 6 cylinder, automatic, looks pretty good and runs good. Fun to drive, too!
No computers!
I'm happy with it.
If I want to tow with it, I can put a V8 in it with very little trouble.
If I want to go to Costco with it, the trunk has nearly "three body" space. Maybe even "4 body" space. I haven't tried it. Yet.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:43 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,409,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post

you know that Buick has a convertible sedan it’s the 2019 Buick Cascada.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
you know that Buick has a convertible sedan it’s the 2019 Buick Cascada.
The Chrysler 200 was convertible as well.

Old 01-09-2019, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Sedans to me have never served a purpose beyond transportation from A to B. You can't load much in them and have them pull double duty as a hauler.

Hatchbacks to me are the perfect combo - sedan like in handling, MPG and ride plus the ability to flip seats down and carry awkward sized items. Add a trailer hitch and you can tow a small 4x8 and carry oversized things like plywood, furniture, etc. more easily than a pickup.
You forgot one thing. UGLY lol

Old 01-09-2019, 07:48 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,409,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
The Chrysler 200 was convertible as well.
And the Cadillac Allante, and the PT Cruiser and the 2004 Ford Thunderbird and the 2006 Chevrolet SSR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive