U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 03:30 PM

850 posts, read 659,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
What makes you think that?
No pictures of license plate. I put his number in google and he has many other cars for sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 03:37 PM

628 posts, read 445,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
If he's owned it for 4 years and hasn't replaced it, you can pretty much add that to the price - you can't assume anything or take chances with an interference engine using a timing belt, and an inspection is not going to tell you when it was last replaced. If you don't know how to inspect the mechanicals of a car do you have a friend that can go with you? there's nothing too complicated, check the fluids, under the hood and underneath for leaks, check for proper shifting, suspension, proper steering, brakes etc on a test drive up to highway speeds. I don't blaim the Honda guy for not wanting to dick around with an inspection, at this price point I woudn't want to waste my time with a buyer who can't inspect it himself either. If a seller doesn't have title in hand and has any kind of excuse about how he will get it just walk away, no exceptions unless it's a car dealer - but I'm sure you know that.
ya I get it, and furthermore don't blame him for wanting to have it inspected. It's just another reason I'm leaning toward the prism tho.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
No pictures of license plate. I put his number in google and he has many other cars for sale.
He is. He told me straight up. Doesn't mean the car is bad though. He said it has already gone through carmax inspection and he believes it was owned by an older couple or someone who took good care of it based on it's condition.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:41 PM

997 posts, read 264,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
ya I get it, and furthermore don't blame him for wanting to have it inspected. It's just another reason I'm leaning toward the prism tho.
Is this your first car?
That's a good catch by Danny, the seller is probably a curbstoner (not a dealer, illegally leaves the title in previous owner's name and just hands it to you at the sale). If so make sure the title is properly signed, don't even go look at it before asking over the phone if he has title in hand.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Is this your first car?
That's a good catch by Danny, the seller is probably a curbstoner (not a dealer, illegally leaves the title in previous owner's name and just hands it to you at the sale). If so make sure the title is properly signed, don't even go look at it before asking over the phone if he has title in hand.
Hah! No I've probably owned 6 or 7 cars at this point, but we're super short on cash and our last car had some super expensive issues come up so we sold it.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Hah! No I've probably owned 6 or 7 cars at this point, but we're super short on cash and our last car had some super expensive issues come up so we sold it.
Sounds like you shouldn't need to pay someone to inspect it, just take your time - $1700obo means $1500, which could be a really good deal - very low miles and it looks very clean. These Prism/Corollas were totally solid economy cars.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Sounds like you shouldn't need to pay someone to inspect it, just take your time - $1700obo means $1500, which could be a really good deal - very low miles and it looks very clean. These Prism/Corollas were totally solid economy cars.
yep.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
yep.
Pay close attention to body lines and paint matching, you don't want someone's fixed up wreck - and with a econobox like this it's likely it wasn't fully insured but paid for off on the side which Carfax wouldn't pick up. Hopefully not, but be looking for signs of a past collision.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Pay close attention to body lines and paint matching, you don't want someone's fixed up wreck - and with a econobox like this it's likely it wasn't fully insured but paid for off on the side which Carfax wouldn't pick up. Hopefully not, but be looking for signs of a past collision.
Ok, will do, thanks

Old 01-10-2019, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Ok, will do, thanks
As Danny mentioned, curbstoners are there to make a profit, and you have to wonder how they acquired the car in the first place, as it must have been very cheap. I would still be open minded and go look at it, but be cautious and take your time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or