Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 03:02 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,158,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
No pictures of license plate. I put his number in google and he has many other cars for sale.
The Accord is probably a curbstoner, too. Carfax shows that plate registered to a 2005 Jetta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 03:10 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,975,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
The Accord is probably a curbstoner, too. Carfax shows that plate registered to a 2005 Jetta.
so you can check this online... for free?

Old 01-10-2019, 03:16 PM

2,811 posts, read 2,158,064 times
Yes - https://www.carfax.com/vehicle-history-reports/. It will tell you the car the plate is registered to and the number of records found. You have to buy the report to see if those records are for routine maintenance or for serious crashes.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:22 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,536,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp775 View Post
Yes - https://www.carfax.com/vehicle-history-reports/. It will tell you the car the plate is registered to and the number of records found. You have to buy the report to see if those records are for routine maintenance or for serious crashes.
Great tip, I didn't know about this. I wonder why a curbstoner would leave plates on for the pics? weird.

Old 01-10-2019, 03:25 PM

764 posts, read 2,026,145 times
I had an 01 Prism and that car was amazing. Effortless car and so reliable. Only parted with it after it was totalled.

Old 01-10-2019, 04:10 PM

574 posts, read 378,639 times
Can't really go wrong with either cars, as they're late 90s early 2000s economy japanese products. My only real concern would be the transmission on the Honda, however

Old 01-10-2019, 06:10 PM

11,583 posts, read 6,678,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Pay close attention to body lines and paint matching, you don't want someone's fixed up wreck - and with a econobox like this it's likely it wasn't fully insured but paid for off on the side which Carfax wouldn't pick up. Hopefully not, but be looking for signs of a past collision.
THIS, run the Vin# through Carfax!!

Old 01-10-2019, 08:31 PM

1,727 posts, read 1,975,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
As Danny mentioned, curbstoners are there to make a profit, and you have to wonder how they acquired the car in the first place, as it must have been very cheap. I would still be open minded and go look at it, but be cautious and take your time.
He told me straight up that he got it from carmax before it went to auction. That sounds legit to me. But then again I've never been curb stoned so I'm just trying to get the facts straight.

I'm meeting up with him tomorrow and told him to bring the title with him, to which he said no problem... so, there's that.

Old 01-10-2019, 08:40 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,536,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
He told me straight up that he got it from carmax before it went to auction. That sounds legit to me. But then again I've never been curb stoned so I'm just trying to get the facts straight.

I'm meeting up with him tomorrow and told him to bring the title with him, to which he said no problem... so, there's that.
Cool, let us know how it went. You'll know if you've been curb stoned if he gives you a title signed by the seller which isn't him. That's not a problem though, just make sure you aren't buying a problem rather than a solution.

Old 01-11-2019, 04:06 AM
miu

17,764 posts, read 40,039,716 times
See how both drives. Also, with both cars, see if there are any maintenance records. I'd want to see evidence of regular oil changes. And a dealership could have the VIN# in their service databases and be able to pull up all the visits. You'd want to go in person when it's not busy, like early afternoon and be really nice and polite to the service desk. Imply that if you bought the car, you'd continue to take the car there, that sort of thing.

I like that the Accord has new tires and "breaks". Otherwise, with older budget cars, I'd always feel better if they are manual transmission vehicles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive