Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 01:10 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,004,179 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what people's thoughts are here. Two different super budget oriented cars I'm looking at...

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/c...779194791.html

https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/c...788121435.html

both seem to be good deals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2019, 01:32 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Is one a dealer and the other a private sale?

Old 01-10-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Is one a dealer and the other a private sale?
both private sale. I've talked to both owners. Going to see the prism (which is essentially a toyota corolla) tomorrow.

Would like to have them both inspected but the honda owner feels it's a waste of time (on his part), so I'm leaning away from that one.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:43 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,734,754 times
Those are traditionally great cars. The Prism is a Toyota Corolla. I'd look for the following:

Check if they are one owner cars.
Check if they have receipts showing consistent maintenance, that the mileage is correct, etc.
Check for rust or accident damage (especially underneath)
Check that they have had the required timing belt change.
Have a mechanic take a look at both. A PPI (pre-purchase inspection) should be mandatory for all cars. $100 well spent.

If everything checks out they should be great cars. One my friends drove a 2000 Accord until last year and it was a very reliable car. He'd still be driving it but he hit a moos at speede, which caved in the roof. My buddy walked away with no damage.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:44 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,282,260 times
I'd go with the accord. About as reliable as they get if taken care of. It's in Chicago and isn't a rust bomb, and looks well sorted.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:45 PM

10,425 posts, read 6,954,235 times
The guy selling the Corolla is a flipper. The car could be fine but I never buy from flippers.

Old 01-10-2019, 01:50 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,734,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
The guy selling the Corolla is a flipper. The car could be fine but I never buy from flippers.
What makes you think that?

Old 01-10-2019, 02:05 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,553,563 times
I agree that both look like good deals. Whether the prism is a flipper or not wouldn't be a problem for me as long as he had the title in hand and the car looked good. I'd go look at both, inspect both carefully and decide if either was worth making an offer on. Don't forget to look underneath for leaks and torn cv joint boots and check all fluids for color and levels. I just did a quick search and that Prism has a timing chain not a belt, a damn good reason to choose it over the HOnda.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
I agree that both look like good deals. Whether the prism is a flipper or not wouldn't be a problem for me as long as he had the title in hand and the car looked good. I'd go look at both, inspect both carefully and decide if either was worth making an offer on. Don't forget to look underneath for leaks and torn cv joint boots and check all fluids for color and levels. I just did a quick search and that Prism has a timing chain not a belt, a damn good reason to choose it over the HOnda.
Ya, sort of what I was thinking too.

I asked the honda guy about the timing belt change (cuz I know that's a big maitenance thing over 100k) and he said he "thinks" it was changed because the belt looks new and when he was doing other engine maintenance he thought he saw a more recent date on it, but he's only owned the car the past 4 years, so that make me want to have it inspected (which he wasn't interested in).

Old 01-10-2019, 02:18 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,553,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
Ya, sort of what I was thinking too.

I asked the honda guy about the timing belt change (cuz I know that's a big maitenance thing over 100k) and he said he "thinks" it was changed because the belt looks new and when he was doing other engine maintenance he thought he saw a more recent date on it, but he's only owned the car the past 4 years, so that make me want to have it inspected (which he wasn't interested in).
If he's owned it for 4 years and hasn't replaced it, you can pretty much add that to the price - you can't assume anything or take chances with an interference engine using a timing belt, and an inspection is not going to tell you when it was last replaced. If you don't know how to inspect the mechanicals of a car do you have a friend that can go with you? there's nothing too complicated, check the fluids, under the hood and underneath for leaks, check for proper shifting, suspension, proper steering, brakes etc on a test drive up to highway speeds. I don't blaim the Honda guy for not wanting to dick around with an inspection, at this price point I woudn't want to waste my time with a buyer who can't inspect it himself either. If a seller doesn't have title in hand and has any kind of excuse about how he will get it just walk away, no exceptions unless it's a car dealer - but I'm sure you know that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive