U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 08:23 AM

9,608 posts, read 11,497,295 times

Advertisements

I never usually buy the top trim........I've had a Lariat F150 but not a Platinum/King Ranch. The Lariat had everything I could ever need. 10K extra for a stainless cover on the tailgate and a few more emblems on the interior.......nah.

My buddy has ordered many Ferraris. Some of the carbon fiber "options" have totaled 25-30K on top of the car. For 30K you can buy a nice car to drive when you don't want to take the Ferrari! I'd pass on the carbon fiber door sills and other nonsense.

You can buy a new base Corvette for just over 50K or get the same car for over 100K (bigger engine). Is the bigger motor really worth 2 times more? Probably not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 08:28 AM

1,596 posts, read 3,067,110 times
I get the thing about useless / trouble prone electronic gadgets on higher-level models, but I certainly wouldn't want a base model with weak music system, no automatic climate control, or a base engine with no power on the highway. I would have buyer's remorse every time I looked at the owner's manual and saw the available options.

Old 01-12-2019, 02:37 PM

2,499 posts, read 2,202,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
No, it was never true. The argument is the resale will be better on the higher optioned car, which is true, but you have to pay more for it in the first place. So it ends up evening out.
I would argue that the higher end trim models actually depreciate worse, on average.

The difference between a base and top of the line Accord is about $12,000 I believe. 7 years down the road, I bet the difference would be $2,000 or less.

Old Today, 03:36 PM

13,643 posts, read 15,387,745 times
Depends what you want. I almost always buy ace of base. Same car, 5,000 less for some junk that costs a couple hundred bucks in most cases. If you're talking about mechanical things, that's different. Still often a rip off though. It does not cost Porsche anything like 12 grand for the extra half liter of engine in the Boxster S, but the they charge something like 800 to paint your air vents which probably costs 5 dollars. If it's 2 grand for a cold weather package with heated plastic seats instead of cloth, show me to the one with cloth seats. If you really want that stuff, I'd buy used. The upgraded from which might cost 4k new will resell used for maybe 500 more than the base model. That's reasonable for some plastic heated seats, fake wood from, extra speakers, or a whiz bang light that projects a Ford logo on the ground at night.

Old Today, 03:47 PM

13,643 posts, read 15,387,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Base models now are for the Rental lots. Just look at a base Fusion, Camry, Malibu, Altima and there are no fog lights, a very small screen, no power seats sometimes and the cheesiest looking wheels known to man vs the regular consumer model that you actually want.

Base probably will have less issues, with less electronics to go wrong though.
Me.

It's not like I adjust my seat that often. Handful of times a year someone else drives my car. The dorky 15 wheels have cheaper tires and the ride quality is better than stuffing 18 inch wheels with low profile tires in an econobox. Lord help you if it's one of those crossovers with the 20 or 21 inch wheels. My car does have LED running lights, but the it does because all of them do. It's not something I'd pay anything for. Now halfway decent headlight, which mine does not have, yes. But those were something like 7,000 extra. A bit too much for headlights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or