U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 11:30 PM

4,572 posts, read 1,518,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockyman View Post
Just think in another decade or two stealing cars will be a think of the past when self-driving cars rule the roads. Can't wait.
Yeah. Instead of being stolen, they'll be eloping with each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 11:31 PM

4,572 posts, read 1,518,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Keep your keys and key fob separate itís easier to pull out just your key fob instead of all your keys. I leave my key fob in my pants pocket, and a woman can leave it in their purse, or pocket i never carry a bunch of keys with me when working i had my keys hanging from my belt.
... by that logic, you should put one key in each pocket.

Old Yesterday, 12:35 AM

7,723 posts, read 2,448,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
You'd be amazed at how many people leave their keys in unlocked cars. Or not.
There are so many that there is no need for car car thief to break into a car. All they have to do is open the door and drive away.

There was this one guy that was so damn dumb that he went on the local news, crying that someone stole his car.
He had left his his keys and his wallet in his unlocked car while he was at a pizza place.
The thieves stole the car, drove to his house and stole a bunch of his stuff, Oh yeah... they also stole his other car.

I did not feel very sorry for this goof.
It's been all over the news that miscreants have been going around stealing unlocked cars that people left the keys in.
Plus, who goes on the news and tells everyone that he's a blithering idiot??
I knew a guy who was so dumb, he wrote his name and address on a tag on his key ring. He said it was so if he lost them, they'd get returned. Well he did lose them, but nothing happened right away, so he didn't bother to change his locks. Then, 6 months later, when he was gone for a weekend, the thieves who had found the keys, cleaned out all the electronic equipment in his house. He's lucky they didn't take everything else. When I found out after the theft, that he'd name-tagged his keys, I was astounded.

This same guy gave everyone in his extended family the combination to the key-safe on his door. Then, he was surprised when he found that one of his druggie nephews had been pilfering valuable books from his extensive personal library, for a couple of years. Many of them had been stacked in boxes out of sight, in his attic. He only figured out what had happened, when he spotted some of his books on the shelf at a used bookstore. I think that finally, he's learned his lesson.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; Yesterday at 01:06 AM..

Old Yesterday, 07:38 AM

3,236 posts, read 869,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
... by that logic, you should put one key in each pocket.
Why do you need to think you’re smarter than anyone on here and know the automotive industry better than the people who are actually in charge of the big3. If you’re so automotive smart why aren’t you in charge of a automotive company. Because it seems you know all the answers to their problems. it amazes me how smart you are because everyone else is wrong and you’re always right in your world.

No put your keys in the glove box and only carry the key fob with only your house key in your pocket what part don’t you understand.

Old Yesterday, 08:05 AM

13,690 posts, read 7,757,443 times
What is the advantage to those stupid push button starts anyway? I rented two cars with those and they were nothing but a PITA. I didn't need the key to start it, but the keyfob had to be physically close enough to detect the ignition and make the push button start work. Why not use a freaking key? If one wants to go with the argument that we wouldn't need to replace starters with this system, it appears that scatterbrained car owners are now needing to buy new cars, hence the subject of this thread, and replacing the rare malfunctioning starter is a lot cheaper than replacing your stolen vehicle. Technology shouldn't make life more complicated, but less.

Old Yesterday, 08:11 AM

13,942 posts, read 30,028,154 times
I don’t care for push button start either. It’s a fix for something that wasn’t broken.

Old Yesterday, 08:23 AM

I love the push button start keeping the key fob on your pocket all you have to do is just touch door handle to unlock the vehicle then hop in push in brake and push button, no more fumbling for keys and for people like me no more keys dangling from ignition and hitting my right knee because i drive with my right leg cocked when driving. And no more scratches on the steering column from keys hitting it.

Old Yesterday, 11:48 AM

1,326 posts, read 371,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
What is the advantage to those stupid push button starts anyway? I rented two cars with those and they were nothing but a PITA. I didn't need the key to start it, but the keyfob had to be physically close enough to detect the ignition and make the push button start work. Why not use a freaking key? If one wants to go with the argument that we wouldn't need to replace starters with this system, it appears that scatterbrained car owners are now needing to buy new cars, hence the subject of this thread, and replacing the rare malfunctioning starter is a lot cheaper than replacing your stolen vehicle. Technology shouldn't make life more complicated, but less.
Technology DID make life less complicated. The idea of the push button start is so you dont have to take your key out of your pocket and insert it into an ignition. You jump in the car and push the button and youre good. Thats simpler. The key fob should work once youre seated. If it doesnt that you have other issues.

Old Yesterday, 11:50 AM

1,326 posts, read 371,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
I love the push button start keeping the key fob on your pocket all you have to do is just touch door handle to unlock the vehicle then hop in push in brake and push button, no more fumbling for keys and for people like me no more keys dangling from ignition and hitting my right knee because i drive with my right leg cocked when driving. And no more scratches on the steering column from keys hitting it.
I loved the key fob so much that I got a combination pad for my front door. Now I never have to use keys.

Old Yesterday, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hemi View Post
I loved the key fob so much that I got a combination pad for my front door. Now I never have to use keys.
Great idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive