U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2019, 06:40 PM

9,131 posts, read 7,600,389 times

Advertisements

All these topics about useless or useful options got me thinking about rental cars. What are some features you feel all rental cars today should have and which should be available at a higher rental option price?

To me all the rentals should have backup camera and automatic headlights. This eases the transition to adjusting to the new vehicle. An uplevel option should include turn by turn navigation. Not everyone is going to need a built in or rental provided navigation since some have it built within their smart phone or tablet or bring their own navigation unit with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2019, 06:45 PM

1,156 posts, read 356,432 times
All cars have to have a backup camera by law now.

Old 01-11-2019, 06:56 PM

4,593 posts, read 1,523,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
All these topics about useless or useful options got me thinking about rental cars. What are some features you feel all rental cars today should have and which should be available at a higher rental option price?
I can't think of a single thing rentals "must" have beyond standard features for that model/class.

That there are things that would be convenient for renters, and that most agencies will be happy to add on, is hard to justify beyond market demand. Child safety systems are one, and all renters (AFAIK) have them available.

Vehicle navigation is nice but it's insanely overpriced, when a Garmin unit is $100 and nearly all smartphones can do an exceptional job with Google Maps. Anyone flying somewhere and renting a car without a smartphone can add on an overpriced dash unit.

The only complaint I've had with rentals, pretty much ever, is that in areas with gateless road tolls, the option is to pre-pay a fortune (often $20/day or $50/term), or (as I found out) get billed for an insane overcharge when the toll bills reach the renter. (In my case, here in the Denver area with one toll road, $15 per toll... which meant I paid $14 in tolls and $75 in "administrative fees.") It's very difficult for a visitor to know any of this, and there is next to no way to avoid the problem, since you can't manually pay tolls here.

So "a better system for handling local tolls, including fully informing renters of the options," would be high on my list. But not gadgets and car features.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:30 PM

3,243 posts, read 871,930 times
Just a strip down basic form of transportation, just to get your we’re y have to go. If you want more opinions than take out your wallet and pay. A rental car is just to get you to wear you have to go.

Old Today, 07:54 AM

2 posts
While your rental car might include some fun features like heated seats, a sunroof or SiriusXM Satellite Radio, other features are more essential for driving. Make a list of features you should locate before you hit the road. Start by asking yourself these questions:

How do I start this thing?
How do I turn on the headlights?
How do I turn on the wipers?
How do I pop the trunk?
Which side is the gas tank on? How do I open the gas tank door?
Where’s the parking brake?
Where’s the USB port?
What if I have additional questions?

----------------
<a href="https://autoportal.com/newcars/tata/harrier/">Tata Harrier</a>

Old Today, 08:43 AM

9,016 posts, read 9,356,101 times
Only think I need in a rental is Bluetooth integration so I can connect my phone and use GPS over the vehicle's stereo system.

Other than that, I've never had an issue figuring out how to work a basic car which is why I usually get when I travel on business.

I'll save all the fancy options for my personal car

Old Today, 08:59 AM

825 posts, read 1,439,503 times
A number of years ago Enterprise ordered a bunch of Chevy Impala's without side air bags and saved $100 per vehicle. When they sold them after a couple of years of rentals they were sold "with standard equipment". One accident reveled the lack of side air bags and Enterprise was sued for millions. "Penny wise pound foolish".

Old Today, 10:50 AM

5,002 posts, read 5,082,545 times
Always get the least expensive rate.

Sometimes it is a small car. Sometimes whatever car they have available.

Old Today, 12:10 PM

330 posts, read 117,600 times
I just care about going from point A to B with rental cars and therefore get the cheapest available. Everything else can be an add-on for all I care. My smartphone handles the navigation, and I plug in my flash drive for music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or